Are you guys registering your Phantoms?

Why should AMA members get special treatment? We are all flying an aircraft. No?
Actually, it would not be a precedent. There are other 'clubs' which the Feds allow to 'regulate' their members' activities rather than be regulated by the Gov't. I'm an AMA member (full disclosure) and can tell you that it is probably better at policing its members than the Gov't will ever be. The AMA doesn't want to 'take over' anything from the Feds. What they want to do is to ensure their members are not burdened by excessive regulation. Each AMA member has an identifying number. The AMA strongly suggests that all members follow guidelines and law. The AMA just wants the FAA to allow their members (who pay a lot more than $5 for 3 years!) to apply their membership number to the aircraft rather than an FAA generated number. Both can be easily traced. This would reduce the workload on both the FAA and AMA members.

If the AMA does get anything done, big IF, that would only be for AMA members right? Us non-AMA members would just register and get it over with.
Correct. Or you can pay much, much more to join the AMA and then (maybe) not have to pay $1.67 year to the Gov't. ;)

....so registering guarantees you not to be suied? Don't think so, can be the contrary.

I'll wait to see what pans out. I'll possibly reconsider later.

Registered. What a pain! **** gov't interfering with my life. I'll never get those 3 minutes back! And now everyone is going to frame me for drone crimes!
....yes, I have to admit that since all these people have registered, the polar ice cap stopped melting, panda bears stopped dying and sky's are much more blue. I feel much safer now.

A lot of people are posting how they won't, and don't want the Gov having their names & CC info.
You think that the Gov doesn't have or can't get any of that info if it wants it?

I have seen very few posts from any one saying they dont want the goverment knowing there name and cc info which they as you said already know any way BUT THEY DONT GO GIVEING OUT ANY ONES credit card info and they are not going to be posting that on line for all to see any way.

Im not to sure thats even the issue with any one that even has any reservations about it. If any thing its people not wanting to give info thats any of the governments dam business. LIKE if some ones a drone owner same as its none of the governments business if some one owns guns or if they have a closet full of sex toys either. which are perfectly legal every were except for the state of Texas but its still a thing not every one wants to go shouting from the roof tops if they dont want any one to know they are in to whips chains and dildos..

I think most people my self included that see how ripe it is for others to abuse the public info of some one and to me thats more of a plausible concern for some then even the goverment just haveing the info if it was only going to be viewable by the faa BUT its not they are going to put it were its publicly accessible as far as name and address and some ones number if some one wants to take some ones number and do some thing with it. Thats what a lot of people are Leary of. Just the same as NO ONE would ever go and wrote the kids name and full home address all over the back of a kids backpack or on the back of there coat for all to see or have a number that any one could go look up on line and see. So even the license plate comparison some have made is not the same being no one tag number on there car is publicly cross listed to a name and address and only law enforcement or the dmv has access to that info. and only for official reasons and they cant even just look up some ones info just for shits and giggles or to do some thing with it they are not supposed to be. and there are lots and lots of other legit reasons many people do not want there info that easy to find. There are even celebritys that have drones and I'm sure they dont want any one just looking up there home address and might want to have it be keep private.

Tho I suppose the same people that think its ok and are all cool with it should also be ok with the fact that jews in Germany that were used for slave labor had to have numbers tattooed on there wrists and why should the jews of cared being the goverment already has there info any way RIGHT gosh whats the big deal then about the tattoos or registration number on there wrists???? and unless they were planing to break the law and escape then they should not of had any reason to care about some numbers tattooed on there wrists.

All you'd be doing by refusing to register is open yourself up to potential huge fines and legal fees.
Resistance is Futile.....

Well in this case the risks of being caught with out being registered DOES outweigh any thing gained by not registering as an act of civil disobedience when its not just a small fine for not registering if they decide to fine some one even tho the faa is saying that fine is not going to be the first remedy for simple violations. BUT there is not going to be much use in civil disobedience with any hopes that it will invalidate the law being there seems as if they is going to be a very very very high compliance rate by even thos that dont want to do it. But know that in this case resistance is futile. The only way civil disobedience would do any good is if it was way wide spread like how when ny state tried to tell people that they had to register then guns and less then 1/2 of 1 % did and the turn out rate was so so low and such proof of what a failure the stupid unsafe act is that it took a court order to even get the state to admit that only a few 1000 people state wide complied and resisted there guns out of the estimated 17 million assault rifles in the state.

But with the drones I dont think there is that many who are liberty minded or who even know what freedom even means or is being they never lived in a time when we still had rights or even had any respect for how and why we gained rights as free men and how we even because a free republic. So I dont even think that there would be any less the 90% compliance on the drone thing so out right civil disobedience and not registering as a form of protest is not going to really do much at all. Other then open some one up to the risks of being heavily fined.

Tho its silly easy to just use an assumed name and address and pay with an anonymous credit card. If some one just wants to remain private and still dont want to get in trouble for not having a registered drone or be caught with out there friends reg card with them when they fly... and I read all the rules and it does not say the pilot has to be registered to fly it and only has to carry the persons card that did register it for them. It also only says you have to use a physical address to register it does not in any way shape or form say it HAS TO BE YOUR OWN address whats so. so ever. So there is not even any risk of getting in trouble for false info being they do not ask for YOUR address they just ask for a address and that be it be a physical address. and the address just has to match the card used to pay. and being that any address used will always come back with a match from visa if they use a vanillavisa credit card. as long as the zip code they enter is the same as what the card asks for when activating it. and then the person just has to carry a copy of the reg card or have it on line to be able to show there is a card and that its registered. and they can just Borrow there friend joe shmos drone and keep his card with them or a copy of the card with them. and at least they will not have to worry about any thing as far as it not being a registered drone. and inless there buddy joe comes forward and says you dont have permission to use his drone or card there is not jack squat they can do to any one for him being that trusting to even let you use his drone long term. So there might be lot of joe smos and nonya beassnazs registering lol

Reactions: maxwell smart
Correct. Or you can pay much, much more to join the AMA and then (maybe) not have to pay $1.67 year to the Gov't. ;)

Joining the AMA covers you with accident insurance as well, so if your system does go whacko and hurts someone with your carbon fiber blades, you can get insurance coverage, as long as you are flying in accordance to safety rules.

Registered. What a pain! **** gov't interfering with my life. I'll never get those 3 minutes back! And now everyone is going to use my registration number to commit drone crimes!

If you really think those of us who have a BIG problem with arbitrary government mandated "Registration" of our personal property are only troubled by the amount of time it takes, then you have completely missed the point........

I posted this in the other thread in response to one of YOUR posts..... I closed with a specific question. Niether you or any other Pro-Registration people responded. Care to engage now?? Maybe then we can have a true dialog.

"For gods sake! After 57 pages, don't you PRO-UAS Registration guys get it????

Some of us don't want to be compelled by our government to give up our privacy when we've done NOTHING wrong and WITHOUT due process!

Let's assume your above statement is 100% valid (I don't but let's say it is)..... Who freaking cares? Using this logic, we should all be compelled to provide our fingerprints, a DNA sample, a retnal scan, voice sample and any other personal identifiers the government deems necessary..... Think of all the REAL crimes this would prevent by making people "think twice" by building the ultimate database LE can access at anytime for any reason without a warrant.

So here is the 900lb gorilla in the room.......where does it all end????

Note: the above is a serious question. What are the limits if any?"

Joining the AMA covers you with accident insurance as well, so if your system does go whacko and hurts someone with your carbon fiber blades, you can get insurance coverage, as long as you are flying in accordance to safety rules.
......does it cover you if your not at their AMA field?

Not right away. I'm waiting to see if the AMA challeng to the FAA to will change anything. I don't want to sign up for the registration now and have a cout challenge change the requirements later. I will wait for the last week of the dead line to regester maybe that will be long enough and I won't have to do anything.
ama is not going to be able to change this.
it is here to stay.
do it now.

probably not.
ama has certen rules you have to go by and flying at an ama approved field is one of them.
I believe you are incorrect. Nothing in the insurance coverage which I read said anything about flying only at an approved field for coverage. Nothing.

Reactions: johnp44
If you really think those of us who have a BIG problem with arbitrary government mandated "Registration" of our personal property are only troubled by the amount of time it takes, then you have completely missed the point........

I posted this in the other thread in response to one of YOUR posts..... I closed with a specific question. Niether you or any other Pro-Registration people responded. Care to engage now?? Maybe then we can have a true dialog.

"For gods sake! After 57 pages, don't you PRO-UAS Registration guys get it????

Some of us don't want to be compelled by our government to give up our privacy when we've done NOTHING wrong and WITHOUT due process!

Let's assume your above statement is 100% valid (I don't but let's say it is)..... Who freaking cares? Using this logic, we should all be compelled to provide our fingerprints, a DNA sample, a retnal scan, voice sample and any other personal identifiers the government deems necessary..... Think of all the REAL crimes this would prevent by making people "think twice" by building the ultimate database LE can access at anytime for any reason without a warrant.

So here is the 900lb gorilla in the room.......where does it all end????

Note: the above is a serious question. What are the limits if any?"
First, there is no Amendment to the Constitution giving us the right to keep and bear Drones. The appropriate gov't body has always had the right, and the responsibility to protect the citizens of the US from harm regardless of the source. We have driver's licenses, doctor's licenses and even plumber's licenses. We have pilot's licenses. We have voter registration. We must be vetted to get thru airport security. We must have a passport to get back into the US. Nothing says we've done anything wrong, it's a way of reducing possibilities of us doing something wrong. You are going way over the top with your suggestion that all those personal identifiers (retinal scan, prints, etc.) could eventually be required.

Reactions: Jahbass
You are going way over the top with your suggestion that all those personal identifiers (retinal scan, prints, etc.) could eventually be required.

I never suggested any such thing!
Using your (and others) logic, my question was..... Would that be OK with you???? What is the limit, if any?

Reactions: mtnmaddman
I never suggested any such thing!
Using your (and others) logic, my question was..... Would that be OK with you???? What is the limit, if any?
For me, the limit would be a reasonable amount of information for them to do the job entrusted to them, given the risk of whatever activity was being regulated. For instance, a commercial airline pilot must prove his proficiency and health as well as provide name and address. A .5 to 55 lb. drone pilot must provide name and address to get a number. He must then apply that number to his drone. I'm happy with that.

[FWIW, imagine how AMA fixed wing aircraft owners feel! For over 50 years they've had radio controlled models able to wreak all sorts of havoc. To the best of my knowledge, none have. There have been very rare accidents but overall the safety rating for their flights must be up in the 99.999% range. UAS pilots are not being singled out, these guys have to now register as well. If anyone has a right to cry foul, it's AMA members.]

Last edited:
For me, the limit would be a reasonable amount of information for them to do the job entrusted to them, given the risk of whatever activity was being regulated. For instance, a commercial airline pilot must prove his proficiency and health as well as provide name and address. A .5 to 55 lb. drone pilot must provide name and address to get a number. He must then apply that number to his drone. I'm happy with that.

[FWIW, imagine how AMA fixed wing aircraft owners feel! For over 50 years they've had radio controlled models able to wreak all sorts of havoc. To the best of my knowledge, none have. There have been very rare accidents but overall the safety rating for their flights must be up in the 99.999% range. UAS pilots are not being singled out, these guys have to now register as well. If anyone has a right to cry foul, it's AMA members.]

You are correct, rarely a problem with fixed winged aircraft and now they are lumped with quadcopters as for registration because a few individuals that are stupid enough to fly them inappropriately. I don't think the AMA will be successful in changing the mind of the FAA either but it's worth a try.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic