Antennas

I had a change early today to test my new controller (inspire-1) It was very cloudy out.
I didn't get any good distance,I'll chalk it up to bad weather. Its raining now so I can't do
any more test today.But the next nice day I will try again. Question do you think I should up
date this controller? It flew fine just not far.

I had a change early today to test my new controller (inspire-1) It was very cloudy out.
I didn't get any good distance,I'll chalk it up to bad weather. Its raining now so I can't do
any more test today.But the next nice day I will try again. Question do you think I should up
date this controller? It flew fine just not far.
What firmware do you have in the GL658 Inspire controller? And what firmware do you have in the P4?

Note the firmware I'm flying in my P4 and GL658A in my signature.

JOHN
What firm ware should I be using with my GL658 Inspire controller flying my p4
Can I put p4 firm ware in the Inspire controller??

Remote Controller Version 1.7.80 is on it now.
This is very confusing to me.Can you or anyone help me understand this??

JOHN
What firm ware should I be using with my GL658 Inspire controller flying my p4
Can I put p4 firm ware in the Inspire controller??

Remote Controller Version 1.7.80 is on it now.
This is very confusing to me.Can you or anyone help me understand this??
I'm flying with 1.7.6 on my GL658A with my P4 craft which has 1.2.602 craft firmware. You should try the 1.7.8 with your craft and see how it goes. You CAN NOT load P4 RC firmware that's made for GL300C controller, that won't work. You need a vintage GL658 RC firmware that's about the same time-frame as the craft firmware. If you have 1.2.602 in your craft, I think you should be good, but you'll need to test it of course. If you have newer craft firmware, that may work also, but I can't confirm since I'm frozen at 1.2.602. Just test it.

Test the craft at home indoors without props. Make sure everything works as expected. If yes, then flight test it.

To anyone who has been following this thread Here is whats happening now.
I am still not getting any more distance. I thought it was my location but I went
about 25 miles away same result. But now when I put the channel select to auto
I get a green screen. When I put a custom channel on the green goes away but
I still don't get any more distance. Any suggestions?? My bird fw is up to date
controller GL658A fw is 1.7.8 I don't know what to do next.

To anyone who has been following this thread Here is whats happening now.
I am still not getting any more distance. I thought it was my location but I went
about 25 miles away same result. But now when I put the channel select to auto
I get a green screen. When I put a custom channel on the green goes away but
I still don't get any more distance. Any suggestions?? My bird fw is up to date
controller GL658A fw is 1.7.8 I don't know what to do next.

A 25 mile range is pretty darn good! :D

OK, seriously, what distance are you currently getting?

Flying the craft with the newest firmware and the RC with older firmware may be problematic, but don't change it yet. Since I've never flown with mismatched firmware like that, I don't know if it's compatible. It might work, I'm just not sure. It sounds like it's working OK, other than the range.

Try these things:

1. When using a custom channel, select a channel with the least traffic, measured and shown in the GO4 app
2. Set the "Transmission Quality" to 4mbps.
3. Use a windsurfer.
4. Turn OFF the WiFi on all nearby devices, including the iPad and the phone in your pocket.

Never use AUTO channel, select a quiet custom channel with 4mbps bit rate. You should get 2mi range.

Last edited:
OK I was trying to down grade the FW with a friend and he turn the
controller over and saw it's a GL658B not a A. I could not believe it !!
I thought when I received this I saw an A Oh well I am trying to return
it. I did get it on e-bay they should help me.The picture and order did
say A not B . Hopefully I won't have any problems.

OK I was trying to down grade the FW with a friend and he turn the
controller over and saw it's a GL658B not a A. I could not believe it !!
I thought when I received this I saw an A Oh well I am trying to return
it. I did get it on e-bay they should help me.The picture and order did
say A not B . Hopefully I won't have any problems.
There is little difference with the B version. You should be OK. The C version works also.

The only note I'm aware of is from MAXXUAS saying the B version seems to have plastic that's more brittle than the others. I find that strange, but that doesn't mean it won't work. It means if you open up the RC to do an antenna mod, it may have a tenancy to break or crack easier I would assume.

John I hope you read this! The seller of this apologized and says
he has a C also. He thinks the B & C are better then the A ???
From every thing I have read everyone says the A is what I want.
I would really like your opinion. I think I would just like to send this back
and be happy with what I have.

I use the A version. Others use the C version and were happy. I don't know anyone using the B, but it should work OK. Before you return it, try the things I mentioned and see what happens. Have you tried them yet?

If you have an option to trade, I think I would trade for the C version, as others believe it's a little better power, but I'm not sure since I only have the A version.

What kind of distance are you getting?

Sorry John I did not see that you reply already. My problem is that I did not get any more distance at all with the 658B
I am only getting about 2500ft That's the same as the stock controller
that comes with the p4

Sorry John I did not see that you reply already. My problem is that I did not get any more distance at all with the 658B
I am only getting about 2500ft That's the same as the stock controller
that comes with the p4
Did you see and try my suggestions in post #87?

Please confirm you have CLEAR LOS connection, no trees blocking the view, correct?

I have try everything except turning off the WIFI on the I pad.
I will try this Sunday That looks like the next time I will have
nice weather to fly. Thanks again for your reply's.

I've seen wifi from cellphones and ipad/android tablet mess up the video feed from the craft, even when the craft is close as 50'. If your device wifi isn't connected to an access point, and it's left ON, it will endlessly ping every 2.4Ghz wifi channel available looking for an access point to connect with. Since the phone/tablet is less than 2' from the RC, and the craft is out 1000', the constant search for an access point apparently messes up the weaker drone video connection somehow. Yes, try turning WiFi off on your phone and tablet and see what happens. Please confirm you're set to 4mbps bit rate too.

Well I can't wait to try this again, Right now I feel like giving up
on the inspire controller and try another way to get a little more
distance.

Oh, I could not find a way to down grade the FW on the controller
Any suggestions on that.

Oh, I could not find a way to down grade the FW on the controller
Any suggestions on that.
If the craft is flying and the control is working OK, the firmware shouldn't affect the RF power. I would leave it as it if it's linking OK and flying OK. Try what I suggested and see what happens with your distance. Then, if still no improvement, return it like you mentioned and try the Titan setup. That setup will definitely get some distance.

Please confirm you're set to 4mbps bit rate too.

Reactions: WWK888

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl