Antenna jungle - inventory - What's out there?

Gee I hate to be a party pooper here but you need a license from the FCC to do anything that increases transmitter power.
That usually means getting an amateur radio license and operating on approved frequencies

Gee I hate to be a party pooper here but you need a license from the FCC to do anything that increases transmitter power.
That usually means getting an amateur radio license and operating on approved frequencies

Only in US ;) I got licence.

This has been an interesting (well, actually confusing since I don't know beans about all this stuff) thread to read. Can anyone point me to a thread (or product) that would talk (in non-scientific English) about good, general purpose, plug-n-play antennas for the average user? LOL I have read that the P4 might have some range issues. I'm not intending to set any records, but it'd be nice to have a good, solid signal at reasonable distances.

This has been an interesting (well, actually confusing since I don't know beans about all this stuff) thread to read. Can anyone point me to a thread (or product) that would talk (in non-scientific English) about good, general purpose, plug-n-play antennas for the average user? LOL I have read that the P4 might have some range issues. I'm not intending to set any records, but it'd be nice to have a good, solid signal at reasonable distances.

Horizonfpvantennas
Dbsmod dbs02
Maxrange
Yagi.pl

I emailed Jacob at the Maxx UAV guys. Is there a significant difference between the ItElite DBS02.2 booster and the ItElite MaxxRange antenna as far as performance? Stupid question, I know, but the dBi thing I am ignorant of. What I'd like to achieve is 1) better performance in leafy environments (I do live in WV after all) and 2) decent range for when I do feel up to longer flights, like with Litchi. I'm a complete noob, with one 5-10 minute flight under my belt. Would the bigger one be kinda pointless? LOL

I suppose a second question would be, do either of those kill your batteries quicker?

And lastly, I noticed that when you purchase either antenna, it allows for the option to also purchase "2 5dBi antennas". This has me confused.....you get the big boxy antenna. You either drill holes in your controller OR you get the clean install which runs out (judging from the pics) where the two stock antennas are. Me personally, I like the clean install, which requires the removal of those two antennas, right? So what are these two optional ones for?

For the record, I was tickled to death to get a response to my question from them so fast. I'm a sucker for good customer service.

I emailed Jacob at the Maxx UAV guys. Is there a significant difference between the ItElite DBS02.2 booster and the ItElite MaxxRange antenna as far as performance? Stupid question, I know, but the dBi thing I am ignorant of. What I'd like to achieve is 1) better performance in leafy environments (I do live in WV after all) and 2) decent range for when I do feel up to longer flights, like with Litchi. I'm a complete noob, with one 5-10 minute flight under my belt. Would the bigger one be kinda pointless? LOL

I suppose a second question would be, do either of those kill your batteries quicker?

And lastly, I noticed that when you purchase either antenna, it allows for the option to also purchase "2 5dBi antennas". This has me confused.....you get the big boxy antenna. You either drill holes in your controller OR you get the clean install which runs out (judging from the pics) where the two stock antennas are. Me personally, I like the clean install, which requires the removal of those two antennas, right? So what are these two optional ones for?

For the record, I was tickled to death to get a response to my question from them so fast. I'm a sucker for good customer service.

so you got your response here
i prefer drilling holes on top as the clean install makes it impossible to kerp the panel antennas in the front while using bigger cables out to other antennas. (only relevant if you want to go for more lateron).

The more dbi the narrower the beam ( or receiving area). Also other parameter are important but less relevant if you don't amplify.
If you want better penetration a narrower beam can even make it worse depending on the individual siutation ( reflections,etcc).
For a very mobile, qucik and reasonable set up you should consider amplified version.

When you say amplified, that's those crazy tower antennas and stuff on Page 1 here, correct? I'm just a hobbyist...hell, I'm not even that yet. LOL I'm just looking for something that will give me a good, reliable connection to the P4, and maybe let me go a little further afield. And I am in the United States, so I think amplifying the signal is a no-go.

But thanks! I bet flying in Sweden is pretty cool!

When you say amplified, that's those crazy tower antennas and stuff on Page 1 here, correct? I'm just a hobbyist...hell, I'm not even that yet. LOL I'm just looking for something that will give me a good, reliable connection to the P4, and maybe let me go a little further afield. And I am in the United States, so I think amplifying the signal is a no-go.

But thanks! I bet flying in Sweden is pretty cool!

You're funny! :) No I don't mean the big antennas with external stand and amplifier. This is not neccessary for hobby (unless you're a freak).
What I mean are those small panel antenna kits with amplifier directly on the remote control. I still use this one for "quick actions".
See as example:REXUAV | HOME

Then some itelite antenna mounting brackets with the antenna. All directly on the remote controller. Make sure to use a carrying belt because this gets quite heavy. -Still it is very easy to handle. I put the USB cable around the antenna bracket when packing it.

Ya. Flying in Sweden is great because up here in the north there is more lakes than people! :)

The companies I mentioned above are all fine. I dealt with them and their support is great. Sorry if I forgot one or the other.

... and by the way..: The pictures above are the small setup! ;)

Antenna setups for the various missions are are almost complete.
Here the latest addition. A Terminator kit with extra height and amps. On the picture you can also see the Tripod A loudspeaker stand that is also holding the RC and passenger monitor. For using UGCS software to fly missions a laptop stand is included as well as HDMI splitter box. With all the trees around... the higher the better...View attachment 62350 View attachment 62350 View attachment 62351 View attachment 62352 View attachment 62353
Here we go...

Dude lmao

I got the maxxuav clean install DBS02 and love it, easy installation and excellent range and an affordable solution. You can all ways amplify later if need be.

Reactions: allentc2
:)
That's the direction I'm leaning in.
I agree to this suggestion I used the same in the beginning. Soon I learned that penetration is a problem and then upgraded to use the amp-kit. Clean install or not doesn't matter so much unless you later need more space. All things can be solved. about the amp I wrote because you wrote about trees...

Last edited:
That's the direction I'm leaning in.
:)
I agree to this suggestion I used the same in the beginning. Soon I learned that penetration is a problem and then upgraded to use the amp-kit. Clean install or not doesn't matter so much unless you later need more space. All things can be solved. about the amp I wrote because you wrote about trees...
I see a amp kit soon also, my birthday is comming! thats a good excuse right?

Reactions: IBV
Horizonfpvantennas
Dbsmod dbs02
Maxrange
Yagi.pl
Not exactly plug and play until the Tx is first modified, but once it is modded, they all can be interchangeably connected, plug and play! :cool:

@IBV thanks for posting your amp results. Based on your info, I was able to score a pair of RF-Linx amps for $100. Nice to know the results ahead of time as I almost bought Sunhans amps. Lots of trees in Georgia!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: IBV
@IBV thanks for posting your amp results. Based on your info, I was able to score a pair of RF-Linx amps for $100. Nice to know the results ahead of time as I almost bought Sunhans amps. Lots of trees in Georgia!

Nice to hear. Yes. These trees are irksome for flying. Which Rf-linx amps you ordered?

Nice to hear. Yes. These trees are irksome for flying. Which Rf-linx amps you ordered?

The 2400SAX. They are automatic gain so I won't be able to tune them, but I doubt it will matter much. Another plus is that they are 5volt. Since they are the outdoor model, you're supposed to inject the power on the RF line, but the seller had cracked one open and took pictures and it seems that the only difference between the outdoor and indoor models are the waterproof casing so there's a jack input, just have to drill out the casing to access it. Or at least that's the plan!

The 2400SAX. They are automatic gain so I won't be able to tune them, but I doubt it will matter much. Another plus is that they are 5volt. Since they are the outdoor model, you're supposed to inject the power on the RF line, but the seller had cracked one open and took pictures and it seems that the only difference between the outdoor and indoor models are the waterproof casing so there's a jack input, just have to drill out the casing to access it. Or at least that's the plan!

Interesting. I got the a 1W LGE version with 20db receive gain, 2 indoor 4W LTE and 2 pieces LTX 4W. Curious to hear how your SAX version Works. When using Sunhans (any of them) the video is always gone when going behind a specific place with rocks and trees. Without Sunhans I don't even get there and with the RF-linx I can get around these rocks without loosing signal. The measurement confirmed the hi receive gain and the 20dbi directional antennas also help to keep out noise from other directions. Would be great to hear you results!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj