Reaction score
(cross-posted on DJI forum)

I am trying very hard to remain civil, but after two months of not being able to use my P3P I'm kinda upset.

I am a FAA 107 licensed remote pilot with 350+ flights on my P3P with a GL300B RC . I've always kept my firmware updated to the latest version. The last update, P3X_FW_V01.11.0020.bin, completed successfully on the P3P, but DID NOT complete successfully on the controller via the GO app. I've been able to re-link the controller with the P3P, in that I can control the gimbal, start recording & start the motors. But GO refuses to see the P3P and connect.

So my first thought was to downgrade the RC firmware. When I hold down the GO hamburger menu for that, it says my current firmware version is "N/A", and no previous version is shown to roll-back-to. And being that it's a GL300B, the firmware can only be updated via the GO app (which it clearly won't) -- I can't use the USB port like on the GL300A (Hey DJI -- did somebody there actually said "I know -- let's take away the ONE FEATURE that would allow users recover from a failed firmware upgrade on their RC so they have no where to turn". Brilliant, but not a good way to get users to upgrade to a P4).

Anyway, here's what else I've tried many-multiple times:

-- Tried at least a half-dozen high-quality USB cables.
-- Tried with the latest GO on the following devices:
- Samsung 6 edge
- Samsung Galaxy-Tab-E-8.0
- Samsung SMT320 (used for the 350+ flights)
- iPad2
-- Tried all of the C1+C2+Shutter+scrollwheel combinations on the RC that are supposed to re-set to factory defaults and force an emergency firmware update.

The only thing I have left is to try progressively older versions if GO to see if any will recognized the corrupted or missing RC firmware and do an update, but that sounds like a long shot in the dark that I'll undertake if nothing else.

I also spent a couple hours on the DJI tech support chat -- no help at all -- my dog has a better understanding of the product!

I've also spoken to the support staff at two San Francisco repair facilities (one is DJI's authorized service center). Both told me that this is a "known problem", and the only solution is to send my controller into DJI, or just buy another used RC!!! That clearly implies that DJI's firmware update DAMAGED my RC, and I see dozens if not hundreds of other P3A and P3P users who are in the same situation -- after weeks of online sleuthing I have yet to see anyone find a solution.

So I challenge DJI, and any users here who think they know the solution, to post it here. I will follow your instructions to the letter and promptly let you know the results.But don't bother posting links to another forum posts unless they are newer than this one, because I've read/tried 'em all.

I've loved DJI products for the last 3 years, but what I won't do is pay to have DJI "fix" the problem they introduced. If that is truly the only solution, I will say adios DJI, and they will lose a strong advocate.

Thanks for reading my rant, and I look forward to all replies.

This is what happens when a Chinese company adopts the Apple attitude of "screw the customers and take their money"

Sadly, I see no remedy until consumers stop buying DJI products and they teeter on the edge of bankruptcy. Maybe then they will finally get the hint to stop plowing us up the rear end with their vile updates. But I aint holding out much hope for that.

Reactions: rickeyfitts
What I don't understand is why DJI won't help with this issue. Clearly it isn't your fault. And clearly the Go software & firmware is.
DJI- why aren't you helping????
Is this the way to treat the people that make you wealthy?
DO SOMETHING...

What I don't understand is why DJI won't help with this issue. Clearly it isn't your fault. And clearly the Go software & firmware is.
DJI- why aren't you helping????
Is this the way to treat the people that make you wealthy?
DO SOMETHING...

Sadly, you're seeing the Apple mentality infecting a lot of companies these days --- build enormous wealth with good products and then turn around and screw over loyal customers every way possible and soak them out of every dime.

The problem is that they have no competition. Who has a big enough name and drone capabilities and line up like DJI? Who can give us a drone just as supported right now and force DJI to step up their game? Yuneec? Doubtful. They have no professional level drones. 3DR? They are all hobby grade as well and I believe mostly fpv racing. Until there is a company that will step up DJI has no reason to do the right thing.

The problem is that they have no competition. Who has a big enough name and drone capabilities and line up like DJI? Who can give us a drone just as supported right now and force DJI to step up their game? Yuneec? Doubtful. They have no professional level drones. 3DR? They are all hobby grade as well and I believe mostly fpv racing. Until there is a company that will step up DJI has no reason to do the right thing.

You make a really good point --- at least Apple has to always be on there toes and innovate because Samsung is their main rival and is going punch-for-punch in the smartphone market. Who is DJI competing against --- Yuneec? Parrot? Gimme a break. They are the dominant market leader and that's why they have such an arrogant attitude.

I think the biggest problem with the drone market right now is there is no inter-compatibility between brands. You can't use a Yuneec controller with a Phantom 4. You might love the camera on a Parrot but you can't install it on a Mavic. You have to be "all in" on a particular brand and that puts you at the mercy of that manufacturer. Just look at the history of IBM-compatible PCs in the 80s and 90s --- the computer industry exploded in popularity because you could buy one brand of motherboard and use it with another brand of video card and hard drive and it would all work together perfectly. Drones will never become super popular until we achieve this type of inter-changeable parts and accessories between different brands.

The other issue is that DJI has made it near impossible to service a drone. ESC fails? Main board needs replaced. Main board cost is prohibitive therefore you're stuck either spending more than its with or buying a new drone. The phantom 2 was the last of the semi easily serviced crafts. With the Naza a separate module, esc, gps, motors, and other sensors separate from the main board replacement was simple.

On the other hand, making things simple enough to plug and play swap parts is going to make entry point for drones drop. Which then brings in all the kids who don't know or care what they are doing and cause problems for the rest of us that enjoy the fight.

For all the headaches you're having, why not pick up a used RC, flash it and send the bad one back to DJI? If you are flying professionally it's always useful to have a spare everything. RCs seem to be fairly inexpensive and available (likely after owner trashed the AC).

Yeah, DJI ought to behave better. But....

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Talking with 2 reputable DJI dealers, I was told unofficially the DJI has started sending out kill codes.
This seriously oversimplifies the situation, to the point where I would say it's not true. Dji is not sending kill codes.

What Dji did in new FW is tighten conditions on initial autotests. But it's hard to tell whether this is what the dealers ment, it is more likely they didn't really know what they're talking about.

Hi rickeyfitts I feel for you having this issue i too have a P3P and is an awesome bird..ok so you probably have tried this, when every thing is fired up, disconnect whatever device you are using from the remote and reconnect again(that often works) failing that I would open up the remote disconnect battery and reconnect again check ribbon cable connection and any thing out of order...I know its a long shot but who wants to to send anything back.

You make a really good point --- at least Apple has to always be on there toes and innovate because Samsung is their main rival and is going punch-for-punch in the smartphone market. Who is DJI competing against --- Yuneec? Parrot? Gimme a break. They are the dominant market leader and that's why they have such an arrogant attitude.

I think the biggest problem with the drone market right now is there is no inter-compatibility between brands. You can't use a Yuneec controller with a Phantom 4. You might love the camera on a Parrot but you can't install it on a Mavic. You have to be "all in" on a particular brand and that puts you at the mercy of that manufacturer. Just look at the history of IBM-compatible PCs in the 80s and 90s --- the computer industry exploded in popularity because you could buy one brand of motherboard and use it with another brand of video card and hard drive and it would all work together perfectly. Drones will never become super popular until we achieve this type of inter-changeable parts and accessories between different brands.

I was kind of wondering the same thing, I posted about it in another thread. Why isn't there any real aftermarket support for the phantom and why can't I modify, change parts, customize, etc..... Like you could years ago on RC cars. Most things were interchangeable.

Then....After I posted I started looking around on the net. There are Good High quality drones out there with all kinds of options......But those are very expensive!!! For what these Phantoms are capable of for the price is really amazing!!

As far as companies go? I think there is a ton of things that play into that. One being the consumers. Walmart wouldn't dominate a town and wipe out mom and pop if people had loyalty and care for their neighbors . So...In a sense the consumer became just as greedy and careless as the companies. Among many other things. But it takes at least two for A transaction. If the seller is bad? Then people should stop buying.. But!!!!!! We want it and we want now, with everything possible, and we want it cheap....A company filled that demand for us! So that's what we get. I could go to walmart and buy a phantom that day while sticking it on a credit card.

I bought all of mine used so I don't have that same frustration as you guys that bought new. I had one issue with firmware, I went to the DJI site, PM'd one of the people from the company, they answered and sent me the "patch" link within a half hour. I've only had one dealing, but I was impressed at how fast they got back to me when they had tons of threads popping on that night about the ESC error.

A used remote is cheap on ebay, what? $100 to $150 at the most? I do have to admit, some of the remotes were crappy....I have two that pretty much fell apart.

Added.........Sry, I didn't realize I wrote a book of a post until I hit the button. hahaha

Last edited:
This may not be of any help however some food for thought. Recently my older MacBook computer froze up. It displayed a screen asking for a 6 digit code to unlock. Apple told me to bring it in along with proof of purchase and they would fix it. No proof of purchase no fix. Well I bought this thing in 2008. Who keeps receipts that long? I had a brick. I discovered that if I remove one of the ram sticks and attempt a reboot this would remove that lock. It did just that. Probably of no help but hey you never know.

Reactions: picky and Joker2415
Talking with 2 reputable DJI dealers, I was told unofficially the DJI has started sending out kill codes. I was warned do not do any further updates to my P3P.
Yeah been reading that here for 4 years . :)

I have had problems with my Samsung Tab S2 connecting to my P4A. To solve this I enabled developer options in the tablet settings. Then go to USB configuration and select RNDIS Ethernet. Do this after the drone and RC are powered up and plug in the USB cable.

Just what it implies . Stop any hacking etc .I have seen members in here and in Mavic making comments
every time almost when we have a firmware update . As long as you have been here I am surprised you haven't seen it but guess I just have to read so many threads I have .

Reactions: LarBear360
Again, why take a chance with DJI’s updates? Switch to Litchi and forget about them!
Thanks
Jim
Wa5TEF

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.