Angry UAV

Reaction score
....had a mental lapse, decided to take off from roof of car as its easier to see the 6 greens, forgot being near sheet metal, or any kind of metal is a bad idea. You have seconds to disaster, what do you do, cut the throttle and crash, or gun it and hope for the best?

Landed safely, all is well.

tip # 397
do not launch from roof of car

^^^^^^
joking

glad to hear you landed safely with no damage

Reactions: claws
Yikes! Glad you got her back!

To avoid damage I have two rules that I strictly follow.

Always launch from case or backpack.

Always hand catch.

Reactions: Milly and dirkclod
Yikes! Glad you got her back!

To avoid damage I have two rules that I strictly follow.

Always launch from case or backpack.

Always hand catch.
We do here in MS dawg :rolleyes:
imagesIO9P4MR9.jpg

Reactions: Fplvert
....had a mental lapse, decided to take off from roof of car as its easier to see the 6 greens, forgot being near sheet metal, or any kind of metal is a bad idea. You have seconds to disaster, what do you do, cut the throttle and crash, or gun it and hope for the best?

Landed safely, all is well.

I have a cardboard of about 1,5 x 1,5 feet and attached a small piece of aluminium foil. This allows me to see the lights without breaking my back in all light conditions.

Reactions: NorthernObserver
I've launched and landed from the solar panel on the roof of my 4WD.
Only issue I've ever had was when it wandered forward a little on landing and "tripped" over the edge of the roof basket the panel is sitting in. It fell from the roof while only at "idle" so expected a mess on the other side, only to go around and find it hovering about a foot from the ground (and slowly drifting towards the road and the traffic). But then I've always done all my calibrations well and truly away from the car, with not even keys or phone in my pockets, so if the panel and the car roof affect it, it's well clear of them very quickly.

I can just set mine on the hood or roof of my truck and I get a compass err in the app !
Do a search on this ! Not to swift of a idea to be around anything metal o_O
Just saying ;)

I can just set mine on the hood or roof of my truck and I get a compass err in the app !
Do a search on this ! Not to swift of a idea to be around anything metal o_O
Just saying ;)

+1
unfortunately, he as the P2 with IOSD and limited information. It wont warn him of a compass error like the Vision Plus. I am wondering if the azimuth was going beserko trying to find it's bearings.
You can see the compass fighting against the IMU by looking at the H33D's horizon behaviour.
I am glad you hand landed in one piece.

Reactions: dirkclod
Personally, I'd think taking off or landing from the roof a vehicle is not worth the problems. What if the drone tips during either? Nice scrape marks on the roof of the vehicle and probably broken props. What if you land and the drone slides off the roof? Could be much worse. This would probably never happen but what if you lose control, cannot regain the the drone RTH?

I'd rather launch from anything other than the roof off a vehicle.

I always hand catch to land.

Reactions: dirkclod
+1
unfortunately, he as the P2 with IOSD and limited information. It wont warn him of a compass error like the Vision Plus. I am wondering if the azimuth was going beserko trying to find it's bearings.
You can see the compass fighting against the IMU by looking at the H33D's horizon behaviour.

You may not like me telling you wrong but you are. The mini iOSD does have a warning icon when there is a problem with compass calibration such as taking off from a car. The icon shows up as a flashing diamond on the bottom of the monitor screen when there is any metal around that will effect the compass.

You may not like me telling you wrong but you are. The mini iOSD does have a warning icon when there is a problem with compass calibration such as taking off from a car. The icon shows up as a flashing diamond on the bottom of the monitor screen when there is any metal around that will effect the compass.

Thanks for correcting me. I owned P2 with mini IOSD for a month and never saw the warning. Mind you, I usually take off from my backpack and never near metal or concrete.

Thanks for correcting me. I owned P2 with mini IOSD for a month and never saw the warning. Mind you, I usually take off from my backpack and never near metal or concrete.

Out your P2 on the trunk of your car and turn everything on then start the battery and watch what happens on your monitor. That warning is not mentioned in the pamphlet that comes with the iOSD but is in the users manual.

+1

Pretty sure the IOSD-mini does warn of a compass error.
It is a blinking black and white diamond below the artificial horizon.

Edit: see item 13
http://download.dji-innovations.com/downloads/nazam-v2/en/iOSD_mini_User_Manual_v1.02_en.pdf

If you want to see what it's like to try to fly an out of control Phantom, take off from the roof of a car. It may take a few tries but it will happen. Just don't come on here afterwards and cry about a flyaway when it does.

Reactions: Ezookiel
Why no concrete? Just curious as I take off from concrete if I didn't bring my case with me

dji phantom fc40
ardrone2 mod 4 telemetry+fpv
tplinkwr703+sunhans 2.5w and alpha 7dbi panel antenna for wifi boost
based in new jersey US

Why no concrete? Just curious as I take off from concrete if I didn't bring my case with me

dji phantom fc40
based in new jersey US
concrete can have mesh or rebar in it.

concrete can have mesh or rebar in it.
Oh ok I hear ya on that. I was thinking I was missing something about concrete itself causing interference or something....are ms kinda dumb now that u pointed it out tho...lol

dji phantom fc40
based in new jersey US

What happens if the car moves and you need to resort to RTH? :confused:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member