Amendment to approved 333 to add another Quad

Reaction score
I have my 333 exemption for my quad, however I want to add another quad as well. I know I have to send in an amendment to do so. Can't find much info on this, can anyone help me out as to where I get the form, where it has to go, etc...Any info would be greatly appreciated or links. Thanks in advance for the help...Jp

Also for anyone with your 333 still pending you can add the "Amendment" as a comment to your existing docket. That's only if it's still open for comment and not already "Granted".

FYI, I was able to amend by approved exemption by simply sending a letter here:

U.S. Department of Transportation, Docket Operations
West Building Ground Floor, Room W12-140
1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC 20590

FYI, I was able to amend by approved exemption by simply sending a letter here:

U.S. Department of Transportation, Docket Operations
West Building Ground Floor, Room W12-140
1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC 20590
Did they then post it to the docket and such? Did it still go through the whole "Docket/Approval" process as well?

Did they then post it to the docket and such? Did it still go through the whole "Docket/Approval" process as well?
No. They mailed me a letter with an updated copy of my exemption.

Excellent. I'll keep that one in mind. Good info bud.

When did you do this & how long did it take?
Did you have to include all the specs for your drone like you did in your original submission or just who make & model?

When did you do this & how long did it take?
I was not adding an aircraft to my exemption. There was an issue with the approved exemption and I wanted to get it amended to make it more clear. I sent the FAA a letter on 3/7/15 and got a response back from them on 6/15/15.

I was not adding an aircraft to my exemption. There was an issue with the approved exemption and I wanted to get it amended to make it more clear. I sent the FAA a letter on 3/7/15 and got a response back from them on 6/15/15.
Ok thanks for clearing that up.

For those who already have your 333 did you fill it out yourself or did you hire a lawyer I see allot of people online charging for filing the 333 what do u suggest is it a big document to file?

I filed myself. It's a time consuming process, but it's not tough to do.

Reactions: Lyle Hardin
I was going to hire someone to do it for me but after seeing attorney fees $$$$ I knew there had to be another way. Went to the FAA website & started reading everything I could but also got a lot of information from Youtube. In fact there was a clip explaining step by step how to do it & submit on line that was really helpful. So many people were viewing it now that guy charges $9.95 to purchase the clip. I also viewed approved requests on line to get an idea what the FAA was looking for in the wording, then I submitted my request electronically. My request was 1 1/2 pages, short & to the point. Most requests were very elaborate & involved depending on what their business needs were, as it should be. Mine was fairly easy, I work in real estate (Florida Keys) with my wife & also do real estate photography & wanted to include aerials for the agents & people who hire me, not interested in expanding anymore then that. BTW after submitting my request approval came 5 1/2 months later.

If you read through the exemptions you can clearly see that only about 1/4 of them are original...the rest are just copies that have been changed around with the company/person seeking exemptions info!! That goes to show what a mess the FAA really is! Also if you have not even filed yet you might as well wait to see if they pass the Microdrone rules, which from my understanding will do away with the need for a 333 exemption for anything under 4.4 lbs, which is most DJI models!! I also hear it will do away with the pilots license requirement which is a bunch of BS anyway in my opinion! I have an uncle that is a retired commercial pilot from Delta and he can't fly a drone to save his ***!!

First off WELCOME to the forums. I think you'll find a wealth of information and some pretty awesome people here willing to share and help.

I also hear it will do away with the pilots license requirement which is a bunch of BS anyway in my opinion! I have an uncle that is a retired commercial pilot from Delta and he can't fly a drone to save his ***!!
I bet your bottom dollar he can read a sectional, know what airpsace you're flying in, understand how to file a NOTAM, understand how to communicate with ATC, understand Aviation weather.... and the list goes on and on. All of these things are needed to be able to integrate into NAS safely and efficiently.

My key takeaway is to stress that the PL requirement was not intended to teach you to fly a Cessna in order to fly a Phantom (or any UAS) but at the time it is required because Congress requires any person operating in the National Airspace System to have an Airman's Certificate (pilot's license). An FAA PL is the only way to know for sure the airman has had the appropriate training and tested to satisfaction on Aeronautical specific items. The only way around the PL is for the FAA to create a UAS specific certificate which is indeed what is being finalized (or hopefully it's this far along by now) right now.

Reactions: Lyle Hardin
We can agree to disagree because when it comes to flying a UAS...having a PL is NOT going to make you a better UAS pilot. I have been flying UAS for years and I bet I can probably out fly a big percentage of people with a PL. That is one rule that definitely needs to be done away with in this country! What exactly does reading weather patterns have to do with flying a UAS? If I go outside to fly and it's raining..I don't fly. If I go outside and the wind is blowing over 15 mph...I don't fly. If I go outside and it's cloudy and I can't get GPS signal...I have enough skill to fly manually. I keep my craft within LOS every flight..so I don't need to know if it's raining 20 miles away or not. If it starts where I am at I bring it back and land! All those BS rules by the FAA for UAS are just that...BS!
Hopefully these rules will be changed soon because I have YET to meet anyone PERSONALLY with a 333 exemption and a PL, and I have met quite a few so far! Just another example of Big Government at work!

Now don't get me wrong...I think you make a very valid point, I just don't agree with the whole PL thing and I do think we will see that go away. I am however all for a test of basic skills, whether written, flying (UAS flying skills of course) or a combination of both. I have seen some pretty dangerous flights out there by people just trying to be cool...even by some of those 333 holders I mentioned above. Either way I plan on getting a PL in the future just because I have always wanted to so it is what it is.

Thank you for your input as this is how we all grow and learn!

Reactions: Richard Walker

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl