Am I Legal......

Reaction score
Am I legal flying as a hobbyist....I'm not sure. Congress and the FAA say:

the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set

of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide

community-based organization

My questions are:
1. Who are the community-based organizations recognized by the FAA?
2, What does "within the programming" mean?
3. Do I have to be a member of one of these organizations?

I've read the FAR's and FAA intrepretations of UAS regulations and nowhere can I find answers in writing on an official site. Anyone know exactly what is necessary to comply?

Reactions: Archangel3356
Am I legal flying as a hobbyist....I'm not sure. Congress and the FAA say:

the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set

of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide

community-based organization

My questions are:
1. Who are the community-based organizations recognized by the FAA?
2, What does "within the programming" mean?
3. Do I have to be a member of one of these organizations?

I've read the FAR's and FAA intrepretations of UAS regulations and nowhere can I find answers in writing on an official site. Anyone know exactly what is necessary to comply?
1. American Academy of Aeronatics (AMA) is one
2. Follow the basic rules of safe flying? (I think)
3. No, you do not have to be a member of AMA, however, some sanctioned flying fields may require you have a membership to fly there.

Maybe you've already visited "Know Before You Fly" for information. If not, this is a great place to get started. Recreational Users | Know Before You Fly

1. American Academy of Aeronatics (AMA) is one
2. Follow the basic rules of safe flying? (I think)
3. No, you do not have to be a member of AMA, however, some sanctioned flying fields may require you have a membership to fly there.

Maybe you've already visited "Know Before You Fly" for information. If not, this is a great place to get started. Recreational Users | Know Before You Fly
Had not found that site. Good information...thank you. Where does it say I do not have to be a member? Their site says "Operators not operating within the safety program of a community-based organization should follow the FAA’s guidance here." which refers you back to FAA site. The "within" is what bothers me. Appreciate your input.

You don’t need to be a member to follow guidelines, however you will need to be to fly at a club field or event beyond a possible initial visit to meet the group or demo your skills.

Reactions: Jerryatric
You don’t need to be a member to follow guidelines, however you will need to be to fly at a club field or event beyond a possible initial visit to meet the group or demo your skills.
I can, and do, follow their guidelines. Had not found the Know Before You Site that LarBear360 provided. Very good information, however, still question the membership thing. Flying "within" seems to say as a part of??

Had not found that site. Good information...thank you. Where does it say I do not have to be a member? Their site says "Operators not operating within the safety program of a community-based organization should follow the FAA’s guidance here." which refers you back to FAA site. The "within" is what bothers me. Appreciate your input.

I think what they're saying is if you're not a member of AMA, use the FAA guidelines.[/QUOTE]

I think what they're saying is if you're not a member of AMA, use the FAA guidelines.
[/QUOTE]
I think you are right, however, they say if you're not flying "within" their program follow the FAA guidelines (link provided) which states you must be flying "within" the programing of.....if I'm "within" something I assume I'm a part of it??? You're obviously more well versed on this than me, and I'm not trying to beat a dead horse, but sure would like to see an FAA interpretation on this membership thing. What we "think" won't hold much water if they decided, for some reason, to take enforcement action. Thanks for your help in getting me to understand this.

Reactions: Hounddog
"Within the programming" just means you have to follow the set of rules. That's all. Nothing more.

As stated above, you do not have to be a member. Full stop.

There are two options to fly your drone legally; Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Section 336) and Small UAS Rule (Part 107) recreational or commercial use. If you fly for hobby or recreation only, you fall under Section 336. If you really want the FAA interpretation, here it is. https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/model_aircraft_spec_rule.pdf. As you will see,there is nothing in here that states membership in any organization is required. The only requirement they do have is that you register your aircraft ($5) and follow their guidelines which are common sense.

So go out and enjoy!

There are two options to fly your drone legally; Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Section 336) and Small UAS Rule (Part 107) recreational or commercial use. If you fly for hobby or recreation only, you fall under Section 336. If you really want the FAA interpretation, here it is. https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/model_aircraft_spec_rule.pdf. As you will see,there is nothing in here that states membership in any organization is required. The only requirement they do have is that you register your aircraft ($5) and follow their guidelines which are common sense.

So go out and enjoy!
Guess I'm trying to read way to much into Section 336. I'm used to Part 91 and 135 which, as you know, are much more specific. Appreciate the link to AMA guidelines....I go have fun now. Thanks.

Reactions: LarBear360
Guess I'm trying to read way to much into Section 336. I'm used to Part 91 and 135 which, as you know, are much more specific. Appreciate the link to AMA guidelines....I go have fun now. Thanks.
Also you may want to consider an AMA membership offers a million dollar insurance policy just for joining .

Reactions: BigAl07
Agreed, you don't have to become a member of AMA to fly under their safety guidelines. But the question I have always had is how many people that are not willing to join the AMA are willing to download their guidelines adhere to them? My guess is not very many. Really kinda stupid in my mind. Not to mention that the AMA safety guidelines really don't speak specifically to drone operators in much detail beyond the general guidelines the FAR provides.

Agreed, you don't have to become a member of AMA to fly under their safety guidelines. But the question I have always had is how many people that are not willing to join the AMA are willing to download their guidelines adhere to them? My guess is not very many. Really kinda stupid in my mind. Not to mention that the AMA safety guidelines really don't speak specifically to drone operators in much detail beyond the general guidelines the FAR provides.

If you're following AMA guidelines without being a part of their organization, that is questionable if things ever get legal.

I have not seen anything that says you have be a member. If you have and know their guidelines and fly based on them, it sounds like you are covered. My only point is those non-members are not likely to really know what those guidelines are but contend that they are flying under those guidelines.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jorge sanchez