Hobbyist and following community guidelines

That's why I posted it. FAA says a hobbyist must follow the AMA guidelines.
No they did not.

AMA said that the FAA says you have to follow a nationwide organizations such as Ama.
Close to being correct. Congress stated that in order to fall under Section 336 you need to do what includes the following:

(2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;

So I'm right back to the start I don't know what to believe or who to believe.

First, take #2 as you want. The FAA nor anyone else is going to come after you for that. Could it happen? Yes? But you probably stand a better chance of getting hit by a plane falling from the sky. My take is that as long as you are not in violation of community safety guidelines or CBO rules, you are fine. But only the guidelines and CBO rules that _apply_ to you. AMA rules don't apply to non-members. People are required to know and follow the laws. Those agencies that have the power to enforce those laws can cite you if you don't. Non-AMA members are not required to know AMA rules... as they don't apply to them. As I mentioned, search for threads under CBO, I won't get into them again. I'll just add, if you are required to follow a CBO's rules, join my CBO (I forget the name).... we don't have any rules. You are now in compliance.

Did you know that if you fly as a hobbyist you must be a member of the AMA.
Absolutely positively wrong, I don't know who actually said this but they need to do some serious research ............

Reactions: BigAl07
No they did not.

Close to being correct. Congress stated that in order to fall under Section 336 you need to do what includes the following:

(2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;

First, take #2 as you want. The FAA nor anyone else is going to come after you for that. Could it happen? Yes? But you probably stand a better chance of getting hit by a plane falling from the sky. My take is that as long as you are not in violation of community safety guidelines or CBO rules, you are fine. But only the guidelines and CBO rules that _apply_ to you. AMA rules don't apply to non-members. People are required to know and follow the laws. Those agencies that have the power to enforce those laws can cite you if you don't. Non-AMA members are not required to know AMA rules... as they don't apply to them. As I mentioned, search for threads under CBO, I won't get into them again. I'll just add, if you are required to follow a CBO's rules, join my CBO (I forget the name).... we don't have any rules. You are now in compliance.
Yes that's what I was referring to from the FAA and when calling
No they did not.

Yes it's question number 2 that ama is referring to. He said that the FAA says you have to fly under that number to rule. AMA saying that if the FAA is telling you that then they're telling you you must be a member. And that if they can't tell you you must be a member then how can the FAA tell you you must follow that guideline. I'm confused as you can tell. I'm going to just keep flying like I am and the majority wins.Thanks tp all for your input.

While the AMA is a GREAT organization to belong to you need to go to the source to get legal advice. The AMA has a vested interest in "persuading" you to join and they have no authority to digest rules & regulations for you.

Reactions: RunningWithScissors
Ama told me to follow their guidelines you had to be a member. So I was posting what they told me. AMA said that the FAA says you have to follow a nationwide organizations such as Ama. So I'm right back to the start I don't know what to believe or who to believe.
The AMA didn't tell you anything.
Someone at the AMA told you something.
In this case, the someone you talked to doesn't know what the facts are and is supplying misinformation.

Yes that's what I was referring to from the FAA and when calling

Yes it's question number 2 that ama is referring to. He said that the FAA says you have to fly under that number to rule. AMA saying that if the FAA is telling you that then they're telling you you must be a member. And that if they can't tell you you must be a member then how can the FAA tell you you must follow that guideline. I'm confused as you can tell. I'm going to just keep flying like I am and the majority wins.Thanks tp all for your input.

As has been pointed out, there is obviously no requirement to be a member of the AMA simply to follow their guidelines, especially since membership of the AMA is not one of those guidelines.

The second clause, "within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization" is less clear and has been widely debated. The AMA Safety Handbook, under "Regulatory Compliance" refers to "programming:

"In addition to operating within our safety programming, AMA members should comply with any and all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations."

That appears to imply that they regard the "programming" and "safety guidelines" as the same thing. If so then the same argument applies. In any case, the argument has not been made by either the FAA or the AMA that it refers explicitly to membership of the relevant organization.

I called the AMA 1 800 435 9262 # 230 call and ask if you fly as a hobbyist do you have to join the AMA. Im just saying what he told me....that all

I believe that's understood now. To sum up the talking points mentioned above by the distinguished and highly respected minds on this forum, the AMA, for all the clout and influence they wield, do not write or dictate the regulations that we abide by. The FAA does. If the FAA doesn't require membership in the AMA or another CBO, then those are my marching orders, regardless of what the AMA says. If the FAA changes that stipulation at some point in the future, then I'll burn that bridge when I get to it.

Most AMA guidelines mirror the FAA guidelines. In my opinion, Keep It Simple ... always follow the FAA rules/guidelines. If you really need an authorization for a special project, start following the development of applications such as AIRMAP which, within about 12 months will be able to make the authorization process easier and quicker.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src72