Hobbyist and following community guidelines

Reaction score
I just spoke to someone in the AMA office. And I asked them to Define this question.
Follow community-based safety guidelines and fly within the programming of a nationwide community based.

Did you know that if you fly as a hobbyist you must be a member of the AMA. If you are not a member then you are not following the guidelines. Which theoretically makes everything you do flying your drone illegal. And as a member of the AMA following the guidelines you cannot fly over any persons vehicles highways or buildings occupied by people. If anyone is interested I have the number and the extension of who I talk to.

Did you know that if you fly as a hobbyist you must be a member of the AMA. If you are not a member then you are not following the guidelines.
Are you referring to following the AMA guidelines or US law? US law does not require you to be a member of a community based organization. See more details here.

Did you know that if you fly as a hobbyist you must be a member of the AMA. If you are not a member then you are not following the guidelines.
Despite what you were told that information is simply wrong.
You can follow AMA guidelines without being a member of the AMA.

Are you referring to following the AMA guidelines or US law? US law does not require you to be a member of a community based organization. See more details here.
  • Follow community-based safety guidelines and fly within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization.
  • This was from the site you sent me to. In ama said in order to do that you have to be a member of Ama.

• Follow community-based safety guidelines and fly within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization.
  • This was from the site you sent me to. In ama said in order to do that you have to be a member of Ama.
You don't have to be a member of an organization in order to follow rules created by an organization. Your AMA contact is giving you incorrect information. Perhaps it's a way to trick people into joining the AMA? Not sure.

Yea, to the OP... join if you want to but the FAA cannot compell you to.

I would say that if you think that you need to join the AMA, you should do that. No problem.

Yea, to the OP... join if you want to but the FAA cannot compell you to.
I am registered with the FAA and I do try to follow the rules that I know about there so many grey areas it's hard to know everything especially being new. I had a question about Night Flight as a hobbyist one person says you can the next person says you can't. So I called AMA and that's when I asked them about the community guidelines and Nationwide program I don't remember exactly how it was worded. That's when they told me to fly in that program you have to be a member of the AMA and if you're not then you're not following the guidelines. They also told me that the 400 foot rule is the safest way to fly but under the AMA hobbyist you can fly higher than that as long as you can see your drone and control it without any visual aid.

Well at first it can be confusing but if you registered and follow the FAA guidelines at a minimum you’re good.

Posting as you did with such certainty and now admittedly not sure caught my attention.

Well at first it can be confusing but if you registered and follow the FAA guidelines at a minimum you’re good.

Posting as you did with such certainty and now admittedly not sure caught my attention.
That's why I posted it. FAA says a hobbyist must follow the AMA guidelines. Ama told me to follow their guidelines you had to be a member. So I was posting what they told me. AMA said that the FAA says you have to follow a nationwide organizations such as Ama. So I'm right back to the start I don't know what to believe or who to believe.

That's why I posted it. FAA says a hobbyist must follow the AMA guidelines. Ama told me to follow their guidelines you had to be a member. So I was posting what they told me. AMA said that the FAA says you have to follow a nationwide organizations such as Ama. So I'm right back to the start I don't know what to believe or who to believe.
Trade Associations such as AMA are like unions. In fact, many are just that; unions. Trade Associations do not dictate policy or write laws for other people to follow. They are there to look out for the best interest of their members. And like unions, trade associations need dues to pay the bills which includes lobbying politicians for legislation favorable to their industry. While there are benefits to becoming a member of AMA, it is not required of hobbyists.

I applaud your effort to fly straight and responsibly. By all means you can join AMA but please be assured it's not required of you as a hobbyist. You can and should use their guidelines as a reference and know that it's free!

Reactions: N017RW

Believe the FAA.

The AMA has no punitive authority.

If you don’t know who to believe why state you must be a member of the AMA to fly as a hobbyist?

You kinda came off as an authority in your first post.

Reactions: RunningWithScissors
Trade Associations such as AMA are like unions. In fact, many are just that; unions. Trade Associations do not dictate policy or write laws for other people to follow. They are there to look out for the best interest of their members. And like unions, trade associations need dues to pay the bills which includes lobbying politicians for legislation favorable to their industry. While there are benefits to becoming a member of AMA, it is not required of hobbyists.

I applaud your effort to fly straight and responsibly. By all means you can join AMA but please be assured it's not required of you as a hobbyist. You can and should use their guidelines as a reference and know that it's free!

Ya i think im going to keep doing what im doing. I dont want to join the AMA
I wanted to put what whey said out there and sounds like everyone is telling me i dont need to. I just happen to call them about a question i had on flying at night.

Believe the FAA.

The AMA has no punitive authority.

If you don’t know who to believe why state you must be a member of the AMA to fly as a hobbyist?

You kinda came off as an authority in your first post.
I don't think I came off as an authority I said I spoke to someone at AMA and that's what they told me I was passing along the information because I didn't know myself. But I guess it's all in how you want to interpret it

I'd recommend asking for that person to send you that information in writing. Either they won't... because it's a lie to create revenue or because they are stupid. The FAA has cautioned the AMA not to make the claim that you need to be an AMA member to be in compliance with Section 336.

This has been discussed _many_ times here (search on "CBO").... the AMA got the FAA to confirmed that they (the FAA) was lying to people when they told them there was a 400' limit in the regulations. The FAA then also mentioned in that letter that as long as people followed CBO... the AMA being one and flew safely, that they would be in compliance with section 336. The AMA RAN with this statement and in order to get more paying members, broadcast to everyone that the FAA called them a CBO.

I don't think I came off as an authority I said I spoke to someone at AMA and that's what they told me I was passing along the information because I didn't know myself. But I guess it's all in how you want to interpret it
I didn't take it that way at all. You were simply sharing your experience with others. Your contribution to the forum is greatly appreciated.

I didn't take it that way at all. You were simply sharing your experience with others. Your contribution to the forum is greatly appreciated.
Thank you for that post that's what I thought that's why I posted it and I also in the post stated that I had the phone number and the extension of whom told me that. Again thank you I was not trying to be again thank you I was not trying to come off with any Authority whatsoever I Am brand new at the hobby and no the least and I don't have a problem admitting it. Thanks again

I'd recommend asking for that person to send you that information in writing. Either they won't... because it's a lie to create revenue or because they are stupid. The FAA has cautioned the AMA not to make the claim that you need to be an AMA member to be in compliance with Section 336.

This has been discussed _many_ times here (search on "CBO").... the AMA got the FAA to confirmed that they (the FAA) was lying to people when they told them there was a 400' limit in the regulations. The FAA then also mentioned in that letter that as long as people followed CBO... the AMA being one and flew safely, that they would be in compliance with section 336. The AMA RAN with this statement and in order to get more paying members, broadcast to everyone that the FAA called them a CBO.
Yes I think I'm going to call him back tomorrow and ask him to send me that information via email and I'll see if he does. Either way I'll let everyone know what they say.

Thank you for that post that's what I thought that's why I posted it and I also in the post stated that I had the phone number and the extension of whom told me that. Again thank you I was not trying to be again thank you I was not trying to come off with any Authority whatsoever I Am brand new at the hobby and no the least and I don't have a problem admitting it. Thanks again

It’s all good and glad you are at least researching. There’s so much misinformation about that goes unchecked.

I just spoke to someone in the AMA office. And I asked them to Define this question.
Follow community-based safety guidelines and fly within the programming of a nationwide community based.

Did you know that if you fly as a hobbyist you must be a member of the AMA. If you are not a member then you are not following the guidelines. Which theoretically makes everything you do flying your drone illegal. And as a member of the AMA following the guidelines you cannot fly over any persons vehicles highways or buildings occupied by people. If anyone is interested I have the number and the extension of who I talk to.
Check this out. The FAA Says AMA Membership Is NOT Required To Fly Your Model! - Drone Business Center

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helen Y West