Altitude test (checked with local AP first) ...

Reaction score
Its an interesting topic with various at this time. Seems some are getting knickers in a twist about GEO Flysafe and its implementation.

I first cottoned on to this latest development when someone was posting about Yellow Zones and Red Zones. I couldn't figure it out until investigating - that where I live (Latvia) this new GEO system is not implemented.

But still using the older pale red Restricted Zone and deep red NFZ colouring on the map display of my GO.

I have FW 1.11.20 , GO 3.1.11, RC 1.92 ... so all up to date on Android.

I have no GEO switch option in GO either ... again Latvia is not part of it ..... yet !

So anyway ... I decided today to check out whether I still had max 500m at my house .. which lies 2200m from centre of Ventspils Airport ... a NFZ. I have regularly flown up to the fence (600m from its centre) at heights up to 90m ... even only a few days ago. I rarely need or want to fly higher to be honest. What I found was AC would stop and say no to flying nearer than that fence ... and it would start descending ...

So the question to solve - does it allow higher flying now as you move away from airport centre which I confirmed recently and would I be able to reach 500m as I did in the past still within Restricted Zone ?

Well these are the results :

At take off point (2200m from airport centre) I could get to 328m and FW stopped it there. If I then started to fly away from airport ... I could slowly increase altitude .. I reached well over 400m at 2500m distance.

So it appears that the FW imposes a gradient or sloping altitude limit ... as you get nearer to airport - the altitude limit forces AC to descend. I haven't actually calculated the 'triangle' but appears that landing will be at or near airport centre.

Before people start quoting chapter and verse about safe flying at height ... manual page quotes etc ... this was a test to confirm whether my previous observations still applied ... obviously not.

Here's the test video ... screen recording so you can see the numbers ...

Nigel

The controlled airspace around an airport is often described as an upside down wedding cake. i.e. The radius increases with altitude and is depicted in sectional charts.
Google it.

The controlled airspace around an airport is often described as an upside down wedding cake. i.e. The radius increases with altitude and is depicted in sectional charts.
Google it.

As I said - this was a test to confirm LOSS of a previous ability with latest FW ... and I thought might be of interest to others.

Nigel

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4