Almost 2mi from $33 DIY...good?

I just ordered the 5.8 GHz panel from your link, after an additional bit of searching. That guy is actually sold out, here is a link to a different Ebay Chinese store 5.8G 11 dB gain panel There are plenty around. $4.89 USD is great. Are there 2.4 GHz panels available with a higher gain than the ARGtek ones (7 dBi) ?

there is a link to another seller right below that add.. Is this what we are looking for ?
I'm a newbie here, been doing lots of reading and practicing...
11dB FPV High Gain Patch 5.8 GHz Video/Audio Receiver Antenna for Long Range

edit - thought it was a U.S. seller - same e -packet from China - arrives however fast the boat gets here.

If you specify "US Sellers" on ebay search function , you will only see locals. My ARGtek setup is regularly flying 2500 meters now, so I can wait on the slow boat from China.

Very nice, can we get more details/pics on that mount that u have?
That is the newer style DBS mount... it comes with the panel. Best investment for range you can make at about $100.

I've been having fun with my new P3S, but I couldn't wait to maximize the distance since I live in a rural area with wide open spaces to fly. I just couldn't justify the DBS, ARGtek, or FPVLR kits. Really they are just bigger antennas with nice mounting. I bought 3 antenna cables, two 2.4Ghz panel antenna, and a 5.8Ghz panel antenna. I mounted the 5.8 in the hole where the old antenna came out, and drilled holes for the cables of the two 2.4 antenna. I have the 5.8 antenna pointing up, and the 2.4s pointing down. I tested my build out a little bit ago and my $33 setup gave me a maximum distance of 10,253ft. I'm very happy with the performance so I'm just passing this on as an idea for a less expensive option.
I ripped 2 - 8db antennas off an old router for my 2.4ghz. I left the stock 5ghz but with a tinfoil windsurfer. I'm averaging 2.2 miles with furthest being 16777ft. 3.17 miles

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160619-171416.png
    Screenshot_20160619-171416.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 439
Last edited:
I ripped 2 - 8db antennas off an old router for my 2.4ghz. I left the stock 5ghz but with a tinfoil windsurfer. I'm averaging 2.2 miles with furthest being 16047ft. 3.03 miles
You are getting over 16,000' with a P3S and stock antenna... impressive.

You are getting over 16,000' with a P3S and stock antenna... impressive.
What is funny is, at 3 miles, I lose signal on 5ghz and dont even lose 1 bar of signal on 2.4ghz... and these antennas came off a 30$ wifi extender iirc..

What is funny is, at 3 miles, I lose signal on 5ghz and dont even lose 1 bar of signal on 2.4ghz... and these antennas came off a 30$ wifi extender iirc..
Got a picture of your TX ?

Afterlooking at your screen shot I looked at mine . I hit 3.2 miles but I was way higher than you and it took longer .
I have the iterate panel and dipoles on the bird. About the highest speed I got was 35 mph and you hit 49 at some point .
You did good :) My screenshot looks different from yours though .
3.04 miles.PNG Don't know what that's about .
70% is about all I will go out before I come back in case I hit a head wind .

Reactions: dirkclod
What kind of Ranges are you getting from the DBS Mod bud?

Also can You Please post a link to the DBS Mod?
Ranges are going to depend on where you are at ,how much Wi-Fi is in your area and how you fly .
You see in the post above yours what I have got . IMO you can't beat these panels for the money .
I have them on 3 of my quads .
I will put a link to them in this thread in a few minutes .

Reactions: Squirrel!
I've been having fun with my new P3S, but I couldn't wait to maximize the distance since I live in a rural area with wide open spaces to fly. I just couldn't justify the DBS, ARGtek, or FPVLR kits. Really they are just bigger antennas with nice mounting. I bought 3 antenna cables, two 2.4Ghz panel antenna, and a 5.8Ghz panel antenna. I mounted the 5.8 in the hole where the old antenna came out, and drilled holes for the cables of the two 2.4 antenna. I have the 5.8 antenna pointing up, and the 2.4s pointing down. I tested my build out a little bit ago and my $33 setup gave me a maximum distance of 10,253ft. I'm very happy with the performance so I'm just passing this on as an idea for a less expensive option.
Here is my crappy setup that went over 3 miles

Attachments

• 20160620_170945.jpg
    20160620_170945.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 333
  • 20160620_170949.jpg
    20160620_170949.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 379
So in your opinion the DBS mod is still better than this solution?
The FPV panels are OK. I wanted both signal & FPV improvements so I went with the DBS. I figured if I was going to open up the TX, for not that much more money I may as well go all the way.

Reactions: dirkclod

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie