Almost 2mi from $33 DIY...good?

Reaction score
I've been having fun with my new P3S, but I couldn't wait to maximize the distance since I live in a rural area with wide open spaces to fly. I just couldn't justify the DBS, ARGtek, or FPVLR kits. Really they are just bigger antennas with nice mounting. I bought 3 antenna cables, two 2.4Ghz panel antenna, and a 5.8Ghz panel antenna. I mounted the 5.8 in the hole where the old antenna came out, and drilled holes for the cables of the two 2.4 antenna. I have the 5.8 antenna pointing up, and the 2.4s pointing down. I tested my build out a little bit ago and my $33 setup gave me a maximum distance of 10,253ft. I'm very happy with the performance so I'm just passing this on as an idea for a less expensive option.

Show us a pic of this setup. That's pretty good stuff you did there. Nice. Congrats. Almost 2 miles for sure. Did it just blink out?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I've been having fun with my new P3S, but I couldn't wait to maximize the distance since I live in a rural area with wide open spaces to fly. I just couldn't justify the DBS, ARGtek, or FPVLR kits. Really they are just bigger antennas with nice mounting. I bought 3 antenna cables, two 2.4Ghz panel antenna, and a 5.8Ghz panel antenna. I mounted the 5.8 in the hole where the old antenna came out, and drilled holes for the cables of the two 2.4 antenna. I have the 5.8 antenna pointing up, and the 2.4s pointing down. I tested my build out a little bit ago and my $33 setup gave me a maximum distance of 10,253ft. I'm very happy with the performance so I'm just passing this on as an idea for a less expensive option.
More details on parts could help us out. I've seen others with similar setups

image.jpg
Hi pilots I find using a $5 DIY Windsurfer on my P3s (CE mode) easily doubles my range..it just works!

View attachment 46074 Hi pilots I find using a $5 DIY Windsurfer on my P3s (CE mode) easily doubles my range..it just works!

I can't tell if this is real or some sort of SPAM. A windsurfer will not really help a Standard very much because the only external antenna to use it with is the 5.8Ghz FPV antenna. The 2.4Ghz antennas inside are really what get you the distance since they are for controlling the UAV. If you are loosing video before you loose connection, then a windsurver (or cut beer can) would help.

Nice job. I have been talking about doing just what you did but with an omni-directional 5.8.

Reactions: Squirrel!
I got 2890ft (881m) out of my stock P3s which I am happy about.

Also I am from the UK so my Phantom uses CE which has a shorter range than the FCC range.

Did you do a 'before and after' mod test? How far could you go in the same location in the stock configuration?

I have been waiting for a good and cheap signal extender, thank you for this!
I am ordering mine right now, it's only $35 so even if it doesn't do much, not a big loss.
I will reply back with my results when i got it together!

Reactions: rmsmis
Nice mod!!

So this means that instead of buying a DBS MOD for $110, you could buy some mods for less than a third of that and still achieve double the distance?! That's insane! I'd love to give this a try but I don't want to drill into the RC...

How do you get it to go in CE mode?
The remote switches automatically between the FCC and CE according to the GPS data of your location.
Here it is from DJI (p24):
"CE or FCC Compliance
The remote controller complies with CE compliance as default. Switch between CE and FCC is
automatically adjusted according to the GPS locations acquired
by the DJI GO app."

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj