Almost 2mi from $33 DIY...good?

Nice job. I have been talking about doing just what you did but with an omni-directional 5.8.
I've actually been suprised that the 5.8 panel allows me to control the quad even while overhead. However, I do try to point the controller at it if it gets very far away.

Well I learned something new. I've built a couple DIY APM-based UAVs and it was 2.4 for control and 5.8 for video, so I assumed it was the same.
Can u install it on my controller?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thanks for all the legwork! I order all my parts the other day and can't wait for it to arrive.
Being Canadian, it did cost me a little more, just over $40 CAD. I had to us a combination of eBay.ca and Amazon.ca to get the appropriate parts.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

My 2 video link panels and the cables arrived today! I am still waiting on the 5.8 ghz panel, the company i bought from provided no tracking info and completely lied to me when they told me "we shipped it by USPS First Class Flat,which can't be tracked." It very well CAN be tracked.
Anyways, When you installed the cables into the controller, did you use the washers that came with the wires? I installed with the washers and the antennas are unable to tighten down fully, I am getting ready to do a test flight to see how much farther my video link will last and if the washers are an issue.

I did not use the lock washer, but I did use the other. Just make sure you get the cable's nut good and tight.

I did not use the lock washer, but I did use the other. Just make sure you get the cable's nut good and tight.
I got out for a quick flight tonight, I was very happy to see I got out to 1000m with just slight video choppiness! Keep in mind this is in a heavily wooded and residential area, it was also raining some and humid tonight, that could be cutting my distance some more.
I messed with the antennas a bit during flight and found twisting the threads a bit caused my connection to drop, so I am thinking I do need to remove the lock nut to get a good connection. I'm very happy with what I'm getting out of this, I can't wait for the 5.8 panel to show up and I can really push it!

That is a great idea! I am going to wander the aisles of my local Lowes and figure out how it could be done

I'm really digging this. Do you guys think it's possible to make an external mount to avoid drilling? Something like the ARGtek. Are the cables long enough? Great work though!
I'm sure you could. I went about this in the most cost effective way I could and wasn't too worried about drilling. The cables that I got have an inch or two of slack at most, but you can find them on Ebay in longer lengths. If you wanted to get crazy, you could get extension cables that would go out to large Yagi antennas. I wouldn't be surprised if you got a few miles out of a setup like that....maybe I should try it!

I am very happy with this mod for only about $35.
I did my official distance test and maxed out at 1000m in my heavily wooded and wifi congested neighborhood. My distance record before on a good day, was 665m, but usually under 500m. I believe I can still travel plenty farther with this mod, but due to my location, the little spec in the sky that it looks like at .6 miles, is starting to fall behind the trees at the end of my street. Unfortunately trees seem to be the big killer here, and since i do most flying at my house I am very happy i spent the $35 on this rather than $120 on a dbsmods, as i don't think dbsmods would help much more with physical objects coming in the way. I don't have many hugely open areas to fly around me, but I am excited to see now what i can get without terrible interference from my location.

Anyone figure out a "Drill-less" solution?

I bought the exact same antennas as you the other day to do the same thing before seeing this thread!! Didnt want to spend so much on the itelite when i could do it cheaper myself. Glad you have got good results, seems i made the right choice :D

I'm really digging this. Do you guys think it's possible to make an external mount to avoid drilling? Something like the ARGtek. Are the cables long enough? Great work though!

Anyone figure out a "Drill-less" solution?

I bought longer cables and ran them out through the original antenna hole on my P3S TX with an DBS panel antenna. If you are only doing the FPV panels then this won't work for you.

IMG_2382.jpg

Reactions: dirkclod
Unable to find "5.8Ghz 11dBi High-gain Panel Antenna 200mW TX" on eBay. What's the Amazon choice?

I made a similar homebrew range extender - tablet holder - sunshade out of leftover cardboard boxes. I found a 14 db 5.8 on Amazon from Jrelecs for $12.50. Search "econobox" for the whole story. Not very elegant, but it works. No drilling new holes but I did enlarge the holes the handle used to use. Good place to mount the connectors though because it is a reinforced location.

Reactions: PeterWhiteVoices

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr