Airspace Question

Reaction score
Hello,

To all you commercial operators out there, I am looking for some clarification on airspace laws. I was under the impression that commercial operators could not legally fly in B, C, and D airspace without a Waiver from the FAA. However, I just noticed that b4ufly.org states commercial operators can;
  • Operations in Class B, C, D and E airspace are allowed with the required Air Traffic Controller (ATC) permission
I am hoping someone on here can set me straight.

Sincerely,

Joe Ernster

It's my understanding that you CAN operate in B-E airspace with ATC clearance or inactive/untowered E airspace without ATC clearance. The caveat is that you'll likely never receive that clearance in B-D airspace.

At this time local ATC has been directed not to approve commercial UAS flights in controlled airspace. All authorization must go through the web portal at Request a Waiver/Airspace Authorization – Small Unmanned Aircraft System (sUAS)
This process does result in the ATC permission as stated in b4ufly, you just can't get it directly from the tower. The FAA has indicated that they will be developing an app due out around the end of the year that will allow on-site authorization requests in immediate approval/denial.

Reactions: BigAl07
Joe it's an Airspace Authorization as opposed to a waiver.

Waiver's allow you to fly "outside" of a certain rule but only in very specific circumstances and timing.

Both are obtained from the same web portal (not from ATC directly) but are totally different animals.

Hope that makes sense.

Reactions: Falcon900
There is a slight learning curve here. Initially they didn't tell us about an "Airspace Waiver" only the potential for Airspace Authorization.

Now we have learned it's "possible" to get an Airspace Waiver for multiple flights of similar conditions within a specific airspace over an extended period of time.

Airspace Authorization - approval to fly in specific airspace for a short period of time.
Airspace Waiver - Approval to fly in the same airspace over a wide period of time instead of needing to get multiple Airspace Authorizations. Basically it's designed to streamline "repeat Airspace Authorization requests" to make it easier on both sides of the coin.

The above is something I just learned yesterday.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31