Airspace around non-towered airport

Reaction score
Hi there,

Newbie Part 107 pilot here. Is it safe to assume that a non-towered, private airport that is not listed on the sectional chart is in uncontrolled airspace? B4UFly is telling me that I need to get permission to fly near where I live because of this small, obscure airport that pops up on the app. I don't see a private airport symbol on the chart, and none of the other apps/flight chart websites show it.

GM

To make me feel better, I contact my friend by text that I am flying. He has a small private field 1 1/2 mi. away. He said I didn't have to call him. I told him I would text him so he would know, but didn't have to text me back.
Contact them and see what they say? Maybe a text to the right person is all you need to do?

Reactions: gmarch
A sectional chart is the ONLY way to know what airspace you're talking about. There are many "non towered" airports that are within Class B airspace. I live pretty close to a non-towered airport sitting in Class C airspace.

Any time you have an airspace question consult the current sectional chart for that area no matter what you hear online from us armchair aviators.

A sectional chart is the ONLY way to know what airspace you're talking about. There are many "non towered" airports that are within Class B airspace. I live pretty close to a non-towered airport sitting in Class C airspace.

Any time you have an airspace question consult the current sectional chart for that area no matter what you hear online from us armchair aviators.

Thank you!

In general, all non-towered airports are Class G upto 700 ft agl where may are under Class E (not a concern for us staying below 400 ft agl). As mentioned by others, some unto we're airports might be sitting under the airspace of another larger airport nearby,can't that airport becomes the controlling factor. But to again emphasize, sectionals are the final authoritative reference. One source is Skyvector, SkyVector: Flight Planning / Aeronautical Charts.
Shows the current sectional info, and you can bring up the directory to find contact info for any airports in your area. Will also show any active tfrs.

In general, all non-towered airports are Class G upto 700 ft agl where may are under Class E (not a concern for us staying below 400 ft agl). As mentioned by others, some unto we're airports might be sitting under the airspace of another larger airport nearby,can't that airport becomes the controlling factor. But to again emphasize, sectionals are the final authoritative reference. One source is Skyvector, SkyVector: Flight Planning / Aeronautical Charts.
Shows the current sectional info, and you can bring up the directory to find contact info for any airports in your area. Will also show any active tfrs.
Thank you!!

If you can’t work it out from the sectional chart download the AirMap app and that will tell you. Just remember to set it to 107 rules.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik