A couple of specific question regarding Part 107 testing

Reaction score
1) In practice tests I have come across questions where you are required to look at a sectional chart and determine the position of a manned aircraft based on the pilot's approach announcement. Sometimes these are based on the aircraft's downwind position relative to the airport. Is there a definition of "downwind" that is based on something other than actual wind direction, considering that wind direction isn't something you can get from a chart?

2) I have read that you are not allowed to fly without ATC permission within 5 miles of an airport, yet an airport may be in (shaded magenta) Class E airspace that starts at 700 feet, well above UAV permissible airspace. Can you fly there without ATC permission? What about small and private airports that don't have any controlled airspace specified on the chart?

1. You need to pay attention to the runway number that the question says the aircraft is on approach to (or on departure from). Check out the explanation on question 2 here. 13 Most Missed Part 107 Test Prep Questions | Drone Pilot Ground School

2. For Part 107 flights, the "5 miles from an airport rule" does not come into play. You need to observe the controlled airspace. So if you are flying below Class E airspace, then you are fine as long is it is not a Surface Class E extension.

Reactions: Way2Fst4U
1) In practice tests I have come across questions where you are required to look at a sectional chart and determine the position of a manned aircraft based on the pilot's approach announcement. Sometimes these are based on the aircraft's downwind position relative to the airport. Is there a definition of "downwind" that is based on something other than actual wind direction, considering that wind direction isn't something you can get from a chart?

2) I have read that you are not allowed to fly without ATC permission within 5 miles of an airport, yet an airport may be in (shaded magenta) Class E airspace that starts at 700 feet, well above UAV permissible airspace. Can you fly there without ATC permission? What about small and private airports that don't have any controlled airspace specified on the chart?

To reinforce the answer above regarding downwind - you get that from the runway. The downwind reference refers to the downwind leg of the pattern, not simply downwind of the airport. The aircraft will be landing upwind, and so for the purposes of the question, downwind is in the opposite direction to the landing direction. For example, if the landing is on runway 27 (i.e. west), then the downwind leg runs east, parallel to the runway, and to the south of the runway for a standard left-hand (CCW) pattern.

Reactions: BigAl07
All airport operations are described in the aeronautical information manual or AIM. The document is available on the FAA website as a pdf. Nearly all of your questions of this nature can be answered from the AIM.

Reactions: BigAl07
I gave up trying to figure out the downwind approach thing. I figured if I got any of those weird downwind approach questions, I'd just get that one wrong. There weren't any on my test and I got a 95%.

1. You need to pay attention to the runway number that the question says the aircraft is on approach to (or on departure from). Check out the explanation on question 2 here. 13 Most Missed Part 107 Test Prep Questions | Drone Pilot Ground School

2. For Part 107 flights, the "5 miles from an airport rule" does not come into play. You need to observe the controlled airspace. So if you are flying below Class E airspace, then you are fine as long is it is not a Surface Class E extension.

actually, the FAA recently clarified this issue as reported on this forum. We only have to have permission to enter Class E (sfc) airports (see, for example, Findlay OH). None needed to fly in extensions. (Class E Surface area extensions ...)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik