Airnest - Looking for Beta Testers

Looks promising. Why didn't you create this app for Android? Seems you are leaving out most of the market.

Reactions: mick74
If you are looking at a android version try Litchi, Airnest is the first of it's type for IOS that is if you want to include the crappy waypoint biult into DJI Go app.

Looks promising. Why didn't you create this app for Android? Seems you are leaving out most of the market.

I am pretty sure they will be working towards an Android version once the iOS version is complete and bug free. This way the transition to Android will be much smoother and easier on the users and the designers.

I've never seen an official poll but I'd be willing to venture a guess that the majority of Phantom3 users are iOS. Just a hunch.

As someone else noted, for android, pitch has the exact draw a path and place a POI feature. (It also adds quite a few more flight modes and features)

I do love the simplicity of this app though

What type speed settings has everyone been flying Airnest with? We get pretty darn smooth results in our shots but I think, having written the app, that we are aware that tighter curves require slower speed as the flight controller on the Phantom and Inspire can get quite aggressive at high speeds which is best used for straighter lines and very large arching shots.

I am curious as to whether what I said above became quickly apparent to all of you or if we need some warnings in the app.

Just downloaded the app and went out and flew two batteries using path exclusively.

The good:
I spend less time handling an app and more time shooting videos
Its smooth and on focus
You can do some really nice stunts like upwards spirals that are very time consuming when you program DJGo or Lichi. In this app it takes literally seconds.

The bad or room for improvement
I would like to see altitude displayed on the path. When i make difficult shots with small margins (close fly by etc) its much easier to have the altitude in the path as a reference, if you need to adjust the path for it to get over that rooftop.

I would like to have the option to fly paths backwards. Lets say a button that say "Backwards and repeat continously". Pretty much the zipline mode the solo has, that makes the copter perform the mission over and over again, but ofc in path mode.

When i flew a path the copter switched to RTH when the mission was over. This should not be default. The default should be the choice to repeat, backwards and repeat continously or new mission. It feels backwards to return home when i just started the session

I would like to have the option to draw a path and stop and then start drawing a second and third path which is automatically linked to the previous path and that is displayed in a different colors.
When i get the option to set speed and altitude i get three similar dialogues (the same thats in the app now but multiplied by 3) in different colors (same as each path).
I enter three different speeeds and three different start altitudes and end altitudes. The app then calculate the difference between the first paths end altitude and the second paths start altitude and plot the gap between the first and second path. This would make it possible to make some insane clips imo and still keep the exact same interface and logic. If each path had different POI it would be so sweet. I think this might be doable using the exact same workflow you got in the app atm.

Last edited:
Just downloaded the app and went out and flew two batteries using path exclusively.

The good:
I spend less time handling an app and more time shooting videos
Its smooth and on focus
You can do some really nice stunts like upwards spirals that are very time consuming when you program DJGo or Lichi. In this app it takes literally seconds.

The bad or room for improvement
I would like to see altitude displayed on the path. When i make difficult shots with small margins (close fly by etc) its much easier to have the altitude in the path as a reference, if you need to adjust the path for it to get over that rooftop.

I would like to have the option to fly paths backwards. Lets say a button that say "Backwards and repeat continously". Pretty much the zipline mode the solo has, that makes the copter perform the mission over and over again, but ofc in path mode.

When i flew a path the copter switched to RTH when the mission was over. This should not be default. The default should be the choice to repeat, backwards and repeat continously or new mission. It feels backwards to return home when i just started the session

I would like to have the option to draw a path and stop and then start drawing a second and third path which is automatically linked to the previous path and that is displayed in a different colors.
When i get the option to set speed and altitude i get three similar in different dialogues (the same thats in the app now but multiplied by 3) colors.
I enter three different speeeds and three different start altitudes and end altitudes. Tha app then calculate the difference between the first paths end altitude and the second paths end altitude and plot the gap between the first and second path. This would make it possible to make some insane clips imo and still keep the exact same interface and logic. If each path had different POI it would be so sweet. I think this might be doable using the exact same workflow you got in the app atm.

Great ideas!!!

Hi, just downloaded the beta and looking forward to test it out later. Just one question, I'm sure it's been asked but haven't seen it. If the phantom loses connection with the controller does it continue on its pre set path? Many thanks

I am curious as to whether what I said above became quickly apparent to all of you or if we need some warnings in the app.
I guess if they are true curves you could check the radius of each curve easily and then compare with the speed selected to see if it the path would be aggressive or not. Long chord would be easier especially if arc is made up of a bunch of straight segments. Could maybe just change symbol pattern in areas that might be too aggressive _____________........___________________ where the dotted area is the aggressive symbology.

Just tried this app out (path)...the things that I noticed is you "don't" need the % of battery for controller on the screen (just look at the lights )...would be nice to see the speed and distance on the screen. also you need a sound or some thing to tell you the video stopped or started. at 4k you get about 6min of vid before auto shut down ...will fly again later thanks so much for all the work your doing to make this hobby more enjoyable ...

Very good idea.

When i flew a path the copter switched to RTH when the mission was over. This should not be default. The default should be the choice to repeat, backwards and repeat continuously or new mission. It feels backwards to return home when i just started the session

I believe they are already working on something like in a later release but I also think it should b a high priority. I could use "Repeat" as an option and do not like RTH/Land as the default.

Hi, just downloaded the beta and looking forward to test it out later. Just one question, I'm sure it's been asked but haven't seen it. If the phantom loses connection with the controller does it continue on its pre set path? Many thanks

Yes, it will continue on the path. When the path is over it will RTH, with or without connection.

Just tried this app out (path)...the things that I noticed is you "don't" need the % of battery for controller on the screen (just look at the lights )...would be nice to see the speed and distance on the screen. also you need a sound or some thing to tell you the video stopped or started. at 4k you get about 6min of vid before auto shut down ...will fly again later thanks so much for all the work your doing to make this hobby more enjoyable ...

I need the battery # on screen personally, when I'm at 350 feet the lights are not visible.

Especially when a mile away lol.

What type speed settings has everyone been flying Airnest with? We get pretty darn smooth results in our shots but I think, having written the app, that we are aware that tighter curves require slower speed as the flight controller on the Phantom and Inspire can get quite aggressive at high speeds which is best used for straighter lines and very large arching shots.

I would love an option to "smooth" out the flight... Mine is a bit jerky. Maybe a slider similar to the "active breaking", except it smooths out corners and makes the phantom less responsive to small alterations from the flight plan.

Love the app though.

For those asking for the app to not RTH after a flight, I understand the request but it is there for safety. Personally I have been unwilling to test what would happen if the path ends outside of radio range with out the RTH programmed in. I'd like to believe that it would automatically come home if it were unconnected, or it might land. However, the RTH feature is there to ensure that it does indeed come home. Now I understand that many of you have a lot of experience but not everyone that will use the app does. Perhaps we can add a setting feature somewhere where you can control this, but I think for now by default we will stick with the RTH. Then in a future update you can manually change it, at your own risk.

We really do appreciate all of the feedback, this has been a great experience and we will be compiling all request into our backlog of features to consider.

I would love an option to "smooth" out the flight... Mine is a bit jerky. Maybe a slider similar to the "active breaking", except it smooths out corners and makes the phantom less responsive to small alterations from the flight plan.

Love the app though.

Thank you, we are working on getting the flight to be as smooth as possible. We already have the corner radius of each waypoint maxed out, in my testing anything at or below the default speed of 11mph is smooth but if you try tight curves at high speed it can be a bit jerky.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl