Airmap & Airspace Waivers/Authorizations

Reaction score
Awhile ago, Airmap announced a partnership with the FAA to develop and provide the Low-Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability (LAANC).

Airspace Authorization for the Commercial Drone Industry - AirMap

As many have known, the FAA has been releasing altitude maps around airports advising of the altitude they would likely approve a waiver or authorization request for sUAS operations. I just looked at my area and maps are now available. So, I looked at AirMap and sure enough, the altitudes are in there. "Permissible below 150ft", etc...is now included in the advisory.

Keep in mind that the app DOES NOT yet serve as authorization, nor does the indicated altitude automatically provide authorization up to that level. What it appears to me is now the map data is being fed into AirMap for future use. Right now, all waivers/authorizations are still going thru the FAA website, but it is my understanding that any request that falls within the published map altitudes would likely be approved quickly. The FAA published a notice saying they plan to have the automatic authorization system up by 2018. Looks like thru Airmap, they are making significant progress towards this new automated system of approval.

I hope it's sooner rather than later. The current system is a joke and an insult to those of us trying to be professional followers of the regulations, and feed our families at the same time.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT