This don’t sound good

Reaction score
Yep , they didn’t care about any letter they received about this . The fox is going to watch the hen house because big brother says so . (AMAZON) really

They never do! It's only to appease those involved.

Reaction score
Requiring drone operators to have licenses is like requiring bicyclists and pedestrians to have licenses. We all use the same public roads!

This isn’t really like what you said, “We all use the same roads” sharing it with bikes and pedestrians. The closest comparison using roads is a race track, or the autobahn. If you were screaming down the road at 180mph and some idiot on a skateboard pops up in front of your new Ferrari and it’s too late to correct your course, who’s at fault? Wouldn’t you hope someone would have some rules in place to minimize YOUR chance encounter with someone who might not think everything through?

I don’t really LIKE the fact I have to drive 3-6 miles from my home in order to fly, but I understand why there are rules. While, I trust, most remote pilots have responsible intentions and don’t go out trying to cause trouble, there are others who probably do what they want, no matter the cost to them or others.

Reaction score
I think over 50% of drone pilots fly beyond VLOS (~1500'), almost all the time. Am I wrong?

You've got to wonder why DJI thought it was a good idea for the M300 to have a 15km range, instead of sticking to 10km range (which seems incredible), like the MA2. I understand signal integrity is always better at 1500' (typical visual limit), if the drone can go farther with straight LOS connection, but was there really a demand for something better, 50% better, for VLOS usage? Maybe this helps mitigate disconnects when going behind a building, trees, or mountain. But then you've lost visual. Hmm.
50%? More like 99.99% if you count Larry Curly and Moe. Against a cloudy sky my VLOS is about 300'. What fun is that? Might as well just go fly a kite. Be as exciting and a lot cheaper.

Reactions: Phill2 and Starz
Reaction score
While the right hand dazzles you all with "Flying beyond VLOS is completely unsafe and kills people," you forgot to look at the left hand that was giving you telemetry data and a MAP for the love of God!

I use VLOS when necessary, but not all the time. Sometimes I can see my P4P as far out as 2300'. Other times I can barely see it 1,000' out. As long as I have telemetry and video, I KNOW what my bird is doing and where it is, FAR better than my eyes do. Having "eyes on" doesn't mean a thing when your bird is flying over an empty desert. My telemetry data doesn't confuse me with the parallax effect. Can't say the same for my eyes! Can you??

If your bird goes down, what are you going to use? The place you think you saw it in the sky 1000' out? Or the telemetry data and the map? I say the latter.

I concede that in SOME SITUATIONS VLOS is important. But when I'm mapping 200 acres out in the middle of nowhere, I could give a rats arse about VLOS. You can't blanketly assert that "flying beyond VLOS is unsafe." In some situations, I agree. But not all situations require VLOS.

Rules for flying UAV's written by people who have never piloted UAV's....<:^/

Discuss.

D

Last edited:
Reactions: Starz
Reaction score
While the right hand dazzles you all with "Flying beyond VLOS is completely unsafe and kills people," you forgot to look at the left hand that was giving you telemetry data and a MAP for the love of God!

I use VLOS when necessary, but not all the time. Sometimes I can see my P4P as far out as 2300'. Other times I can barely see it 1,000' out. As long as I have telemetry and video, I KNOW what my bird is doing and where it is, FAR better than my eyes do. Having "eyes on" doesn't mean a thing when your bird is flying over an empty desert. My telemetry data doesn't confuse me with the parallax effect. Can't say the same for my eyes! Can you??

If your bird goes down, what are you going to use? The place you think you saw it in the sky 1000' out? Or the telemetry data and the map? I say the latter.

I concede that in SOME SITUATIONS VLOS is important. But when I'm mapping 200 acres out in the middle of nowhere, I could give a rats arse about VLOS. You can't blanketly assert that "flying beyond VLOS is unsafe." In some situations, I agree. But not all situations require VLOS.

Rules for flying UAV's written by people who have never piloted UAV's....<:^/

Discuss.

D
Wow. You didn’t get bleeped for “arse.” ;)

Reactions: Harleydude

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeTee