Aircraft safety tip... Prop mount screws (Mods..please make this sticky)

As long as you use the blue thread lock, you don't need to rely on a super tight fixing, just nip the screws up with blue thread lock, they will not come undone

Reactions: deltamike
Clear nail polish is a very good bonding agent, this is too strong for these purposes. In this case we have to fasten the bolt with a removable agent. Also some nail polish has a acetone base and can affect some plastics.

Loctite Red is like welding the screw in. It is for something you are never going to remove. Loctite Blue is the standard for anything you might, eventually, want to back out of the screw hole. I work with it all the time. Just put a small portion on any threads on the bottom of the screw. Doesn't even have to be a full drop because it will spread when you screw it into place. Torque the screw just a little, but don't over tighten. It will not vibrate out. Probably not a bad idea to pull all the motor screws and then Blue Loctite them back into place, just to be sure. BTW never, ever, put a drop into the screw hole "unless" it opens completely through. The stuff seals so well it will cause build up pressure on the screw and casing, plus it's messy. Just my two bits worth of opinion ...............

Reactions: YCampCub
An excellent tool kit for both P3 and P4 is Walmart's Hyper Tough 44 piece precision screwdriver set, #TS99818A, for $6.97. It has all the bits I needed when I added the crack-prevention reinforcements to my P3P, and also the 1.5mm I just used to check my P4. Cheap enough to keep one in my car for whenever I drive to fly, and another at home. Beats the usual 6 piece jeweler's screwdriver set, and a nice case and bit holders. The larger 65 piece set doesn't have the right bits.
BTW, I got my P4 direct from DJI and it arrived on day 3 of availability, and when I checked the screws today, all 12 were tight. So good advice to make checking part of pre-flight, but I think I'll just rely on that rather than the Loctite method. At age 75, my hands are just a little bit shaky.
Otherwise, the thread is a good reminder to add this to my pre-flight list.

You can apply loctite on screw. Doesn't matter which type. Wait a few minute and let it dry, only then insert and tighten the screw.

The thin film even somewhat dry when tighten bolt will keep the screw tight.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Loctite BLUE is removable, RED is NOT! at least without a lot effort and maybe heat applied with a soldering iron to the metal fastener.

There was a post on the dji forum of a bird that fell from the sky and it looked like the prop clamp screws on the motor had come off mid flight....

Thanks to the posers there and summerised some tips below.

So decided to give mine a check....

add this to you pre flight checks, found 3 screws loose on mine.

Here is what you can do.

1. Inspect the prop clamps on the motor, the white plastic that holds your props, check them for any wiggle, even a slightest wiggle, tighten (dont over tighten) the screws using a 1.5mm hex allen key.

2. Some of the screws on mine did not have the blue threadlocker compound applied, you can do them now, search for threadlocker in google, its a gel or a stick, it makes your thread tight and prevents them from coming loose due to vibrations.

View attachment 54183

3. A very quick inspection trick is to mark the screws using torque striping method, use a sharpie (a permanent marker) and draw a line on the white plastic and the screw, if the line is mis-aligned, you can easily tell a screw has come loose.

NOTE: Use a tiny bit of threadlocker (BLUE only, not RED )on the screws, make sure not to get it on the plastics.

Happy and safe flight all.
Hope you do not mine mate but I posted your picture in another forum to let others know. Just a heads up for ya. Thanks for posting this, could save someones head from a falling P4.

Reactions: Kans
Hope you do not mine mate but I posted your picture in another forum to let others know. Just a heads up for ya. Thanks for posting this, could save someones head from a falling P4.
Not at all mate, as many are made aware, a couple of heads be saved ;)

Reactions: cokeaddict

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl