Air brake and props

Reaction score
A few worrying things here, firstly these are absolutely new propellers. Inside is a plastic hub compared to the phantom two which is a metal hub. The p3 has a feature which it automatically brakes ( airbrake).

No I don't know if you have noticed when you tighten these propellers they usually require a little snug turn. Whereas on the older models it just spun on. It is I think due to it being metal.

They have had to design this with plastic because it makes it tighter for the air brakes maybe?

What happens when the plastic wears out?

Also What is the default setting for air brake strength? What is everybody keeping theirs on?

The correct term is active braking - not air brakes.
It's all about rapidly slowing the motor rotation, not about stopping the Phantom.
Don't overtighten the props.
The Phantom tightens them itself when it starts up - when you see it rev up twice.

A few worrying things here, firstly these are absolutely new propellers. Inside is a plastic hub compared to the phantom two which is a metal hub. The p3 has a feature which it automatically brakes ( airbrake).

No I don't know if you have noticed when you tighten these propellers they usually require a little snug turn. Whereas on the older models it just spun on. It is I think due to it being metal.

They have had to design this with plastic because it makes it tighter for the air brakes maybe?

What happens when the plastic wears out?

Also What is the default setting for air brake strength? What is everybody keeping theirs on?
Brake seems to work by giving it reverse the same as if you pulled the stick back a little to slow it quicker. Props are still spinning in the same direction so they still should be self tightening. Reason for plastic hubs might be to save weight or cost. I left setting on default, didn't know it could be changed, although I haven't looked for it since it seems to work ok.

Props are still spinning in the same direction so they still should be self tightening. Reason for plastic hubs might be to save weight or cost.
The reason for the composite hubs is to be more "sticky" on the motors to prevent inertia causing props to spin off under active braking.
This problem was discovered early on with the Inspire 1. It was uncommon but there were a few instances.

The reason for the composite hubs is to be more "sticky" on the motors to prevent inertia causing props to spin off under active braking.
This problem was discovered early on with the Inspire 1. It was uncommon but there were a few instances.
Thanks for clarifying this; I was just guessing. I didn't realize they slowed two motors faster than usual as well as speeding up the other two to slow forward motion, I just saw the more pronounced tipping to slow forward speed compared with previous Phantoms.

AHill, try the first tip here:
http://www.phantompilots.com/thread...s-remote-controller-for-smoother-flying.44723

It should smooth out that tipping motion.
Thanks for the tip. I usually leave new settings on default, try it that way for a while and later change the setting if it is not to my liking. In most cases the default setting is the best so I leave it there. I think I like the automatic braking ability and the extra tipping does not seem to affect the video. If I tried to manually stop the Phantom it would tip just as much. When doing video the stick movement is slow and deliberate so auto braking does not do much. I only noticed the difference when testing the handling of the P3, it was coasting fast when I let off of the stick but before I gave it reverse to slow it down it stopped itself.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers