I need to buy new props

Reaction score
I would like input on prop differences and your experiences and preferences. There are too many choices out there.

What I find so far:
Carbon fiber - at least some seem to break apart and cause crashes.
Plastic - Some ads say "PC" , is it really nylon?
Nylon - is it really nylon? Is it better than plastic or PC or carbon fiber?
Color - Does RED increase visibility of the drone in the air?
Cheap - are the knock offs from China any good?
Balancing - Is it necessary? should I buy a rod and use a glass or something else? And what is best way to achieve balance?
Construction - DJI are one piece - others have a metal insert, others seem to be "tacked" in - IE not attached all the way around like the DJI. Stories of prop coming off don't indicate how it was constructed.
Performance - pitch differences - someone indicated theirs was a 6 pitch vs a 5 pitch but that parameter is never specified so how do you tell. Does it make a difference?

OH, just checked weight on original unused props and they are:
12.3g
12.4g
12.7g
& 13.1g - this on actually feels thicker - is that a problem

the props I have been using are
12.3g
12.3g
12.3g - this one got spun against a stone wall and has its tips chewed up some
12.4g

thanks

Last edited:
My input is to use only the regular DJI brand props with plastic threads like the ones that came with your P3.

Reactions: Fly Dawg
Pretty much everyone around here will tell you to stick with OEM props. You will not find better performance.

In line with what Oso and Fly Dawg said, there's been a lot of comments posted about aftermarket props vs. OEM (DJI) props and, the consensus has been, stick with DJI props. There's been no lack of arguments for using something else but, DJI props are a proven commodity. They cost $6 a pair at Walmart. Why go anywhere else. Sure, there may be a convincing argument for using somethibg other than DJI brand for some non-critical parts. I get that but, I tend to compare this discussion over DJI vs. aftermarket props with the discussion over DJI vs. aftermarket batteries. Sure, maybe you can save some money on an aftermarket product, but is that savings worth risking the integriety (and survival) of a $500 - $1600 worth of advanced hardware flying several hundred feet up? I didn't think so. If you lose your drone due to failure of an aftermarket prop, aftermarket battery, or aftermarket anything, I guarantee you, the LAST thing you'll think of is how much money you saved on those aftermarket parts. That's just my 2 cents.

IF your lucky....your local walmart sells them for less then $6.00 for two...one silver one black....Best buy too around $6.99 for two ! Yes i find near ever Dji prop near perfect on balance too !

What's going on lately with all these questions about props? It's becoming a weekly topic of discussion!
At $6 per pair, I don't even know why people would even consider alternatives... moreover, crashing a Phantom should be an exception, not the rule...
I'm done ranting, sorry.

What's going on lately with all these questions about props? It's becoming a weekly topic of discussion!
At $6 per pair, I don't even know why people would even consider alternatives... moreover, crashing a Phantom should be an exception, not the rule...
I'm done ranting, sorry.
You're not sorry.....

RE balance - it is strange that one OEM prop is 6.5% heavier than 7 others. They all came with the drone.
I understand everyone's argument for OEM props. As a consumer of lots of other things, I also understand the same rhetoric is used to scare people into paying much more than things are really worth. I'm just trying to do my diligence and research the issues and get the most out of my retirement dollars.
Also many claim to be DJI OEM but reviews indicate maybe not. How does one tell the dif?

Last edited:
I understand everyone's argument for OEM props. As a consumer of lots of other things, I also understand the same rhetoric is used to scare people into paying much more than things are really worth. I'm just trying to do my diligence and research the issues and get the most out of my retirement dollars.

As a principle, I'm completely with you. But when it comes to Phantom props, you have to give DJI credit for keeping the price unexpectedly reasonable. How much lower can you go than $3-4 per prop? Besides, crashing a P3S can easily cost you $100-200... so the price of the props should be the least of your concerns.

RE balance - it is strange that one OEM prop is 6.5% heavier than 7 others. They all came with the drone.
Also many claim to be DJI OEM but reviews indicate maybe not. How does one tell the dif?
I understand your question- there are numerous examples of where aftermarket alternatives are superior to OEM offerings. It is very likely that there might be third party props that are superior quality to DJI. Question is which ones? We know a lot aren’t. The threads detailing in flight failures demonstrate that.

If your comfortable to risk your AC testing go for it. I’m not- there is no additional performance to be gained. If the ECU in your car limits the max fuel delivery and boost pressure would you bother experimenting with larger injectors?

Ok.. DJI props but he also asked what about the black carbon fiber ones from DJI?

Is everyone using the stock white plastic ones?

Reactions: umanbean
His first paragraph .

"I would like input on prop differences and your experiences and preferences. There are too many choices out there.
What I find so far:
Balancing - Is it necessary? should I buy a rod and use a glass or something else? And what is best way to achieve balance?
Construction - DJI are one piece - others have a metal insert, others seem to be "tacked" in - IE not attached all the way around like the DJI. Stories of prop coming off don't indicate how it was constructed.
Performance - pitch differences - someone indicated theirs was a 6 pitch vs a 5 pitch but that parameter is never specified so how do you tell. Does it make a difference?"

So I think he is also asking what about these props, not just aftermarket ones as the first 4 items are related to color and material that the props come in even from DJI.... ???

H
His first paragraph .

"I would like input on prop differences and your experiences and preferences. There are too many choices out there.
What I find so far:
Performance - pitch differences - someone indicated theirs was a 6 pitch vs a 5 pitch but that parameter is never specified so how do you tell. Does it make a difference?"

So I think he is also asking what about these props, not just aftermarket ones as the first 4 items are related to color and material that the props come in even from DJI.... ???
He didn’t mention DJI CF specifically. The DJI CF are CF impregnated nylon. They seem to be without significant issues going by user accounts posted here and in other forums.

I would fly the DJI CF offerings in preference to pretty much all the aftermarket offerings for the phantoms, a good proportion of which are faux CF. The cost alone suggests what the quality might be- a pair of blades of reasonable quality for a 600 RC heli is close to $100 (no hubs or fancy mounting system with a simpler profile).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik