About ready to pull the trigger on a P3 Pro

Reaction score
So I have been doing some research for several weeks and feel that the P3 Pro is the drone for me. My primary reason for the purchase is to capture video and photos of 47 acres that my wife and I recently purchased. We are going to be putting in a driveway and building a home in the next couple months. I have plans for many projects over the next couple years: fences, gardens, clay range, rifle range, orchards, pond ect. I think it's a great idea to document this transformation as it will all be passed to my girls one day and should bring back good memories.

One thing that is holding me back a little is the fact that this has been out about a year right? There does not seem to be too many rumors on when the 4 may be released. I understand that electronics and internet rumors should be taken with a grain of salt.

Anyways, here is what I am planning on purchasing:

-- B&H seems to have the best price on the drone

DJI Phantom 3 Professional Quadcopter with 4K CP.PT.000181 B&H

-- An extra battery

-- A 64 gig micro card

Amazon.com: PNY U3 Turbo Performance 64GB High Speed MicroSDXC Class 10 UHS-I, up to 90MB/sec Flash Card (P-SDUX64U390G-GE): Computers & Accessories

-- I do not plan on going hiking much or transporting it a whole lot so a hard case off ebay should work fine.

Professional Hard Shoulder Bag Carry Case Backpack For DJI Phantom 3 & Accessory

Is there anything else that you guys would recommend to get started?

Thanks!

Reactions: Karthikdoc
a good tablet like the apple ipad mini 4.

also buying used might help you decide and save a good bit.

av8er79, that's a nice start. You can find some other suggestions on my must-haves list here.

Unless you need (and can utilize) the full 4K video you could save a bit and get the P3 Advanced. I kind of wish I had done that myself and used the extra cash for another battery. They are almost the same other than the camera only goes to 2.7k, charger is slightly slower and I "think" there is a slight difference in video/downlink but that last part you'd need to research to make sure.

I wouldn't hold out waiting for a P4, with the success of the P3 and the still increasing sales I highly doubt the P4 would be released this year. It is probably in development but I wouldn't count on anything being released. That said, yes the P3 has been out for 9 months or so but now the kinks are finally ironed out and the P3 is a very stable and reliable quadcopter. I agree that the iPad mini 4 is the best choice for tablets. It has the brightest and best looking device screen I have ever seen. As for the case, if you want a hard case you might want to make sure you get one with wheels. Also I would advise you to learn how to and always hand catch your Phantom when landing, it is the most reliable way to land in my opinion. Check out @msinger's list of accessories and remember to have fun. Be sure to read the manual, they don't include it in the quadcopter box so you have to download it from the DJI website.

Last edited:
I was in a similar situation when I purchased.

Can't speak to a potential P4 - buying something that may be obsolete in the next few months is always a danger in consumer electronics. Along those line, I believe that GoPro is supposed to be coming out with a drone as well.

As BigAl07 pointed out, a P3A may be enough. The Advanced does 2.7k video. The advanced video resolution is quite good and enough for most. I went with the Advanced... while I sometimes wonder if I should have gone with the Pro, I don't regret the decision. I have no 4k screens and it does require extra computing power to manage, edit and store.

I currently have about 30 acres. I use the "waypoint" mode to run a "mission" around the property at intervals. Over the course of a year, that should give me something like a "time-lapse" of the property (with careful editing of the various clips).

Going that route, I became aware of some limitations. The waypoint system limits you to a 500m radius from home point and a 5000m total mission distance. With my 30 acres, I have had to get very creative on where to take off from and cut corners to stay within the 500m. I wrote to DJO about my concerns and they indicated it is a software limitation they are working on. Regardless, if you plan to use waypoint mode to fly the perimeter of your 46 acres, you are almost certain to hit this limitation. You could certainly do it manually, but the results will be much better and more consistent if you could use waypoints. It is possible that some third party apps could get around this. Might be a minor point for you, but something to consider.

You should also be aware of the new "geofence" system that DJI is implementing (currently in beta) as well as the NFZs in the current release software. Check their website to confirm you are not in a current NFZ. Also check the beta page to see if geofence affects the area you plan to fly in. Whether or not you mind dealing with an authorization scheme, it could be an issue if your rural land is in an area with no internet access (which would leave you unable to authorize). I was surprised when I looked at their map for my rural area and saw the number of small nearby landing strips which required authorization. Fortunately, none of those affected my own property (where there is no internet access).

I have been using an iPad Air 2. It fits well on the controller, although I had to tighten the screw a bit to hold the weight. I also use a hood with the iPad, as it is very difficult to see in the sunlight.

I always think you should get the best quality, resolution, insert any other value to measure here that you can afford. In terms of video quality if you can afford 4K get it so that your source material is as good as it can be even if you scale down at a later date.

In your case your girls will be viewing the 4K upscaled to 16K in 20 years so provide the best resolution you can ;-)

These videos mount up though so do you have plenty of hard disk storage?

I'm happy I went with the P3A. I don't think I've got a device that will even run 4K video without it being choppy.

Here's an article on 4K.

S

Reactions: BigAl07
One thing to add...

The P3 comes with a 16BG card. While it depends on your usage, you might not need an additional card.

Remember that you only get about 20 minutes of flight with a single battery. I generally fly two batteries and video during most of my flight (P3A recording 1080p60). There is still plenty of time left on the card when I am done. Easy enough to copy video off the card while the batteries recharge.

Also thought about the comment above from sdharris. I agree that you should get the highest quality you can afford. That made me remember why I chose the P3A over the Pro. I prefer a higher frame rate. Knowing I would usually record in 1080p60 over 4k 30fps... that make the P3A an obvious choice for me. My thought is that 60fps will give you smoother slo-mo than 30fps, even after the resolution difference (especially when downsampling to a 1080p output).

YMMV

Go for the iPad Air 2 and you will not be sorry. Good size screen and all the bells and whistles.

Agreed. I am pretty sure you need the cellular version of the iPad. Not that you need an active cell connection to fly, but the cell versions are the ones with the GPS chip. The non-cellular iPads will work, but lack the ability to so something with the P3 (can't recall exactly what).

Hello all.... Go withe 4K unit (Phantom 3 Pro)!
I would make sure you get a couple of sets of Propellers and Guard (and put the string on the guards).... As stable as the P3P is... there is a bit of a learning curve, for YOU and your trees... I got mine for Christmas ...take your time I learned a lot in the beginner Mode! Now I fly with confidence!
I picked up an 18" USB cable... makes a cleaner Remote control set up.

This has turned into an excellent discussion quicker than I thought. Thanks for all the good points!

zobiwu - i am going to give it a shot with my Samsung s6 first. I would just purchase stuff like this new personally.

msinger - awesome link!

BigAl07 - I do not want to just shoot what I will utilize today. I want to shoot the best quality that I can because I'm sure it will come in hand down the road.

Sinisalo - I do not think I will hold out as I will be breaking ground in the next couple weeks. I have waited for electronics/technology in the past and........ well don't hold your breath. I see no reason to have wheel s on a case. Why is "hand catch" more preferred? I have flown an uncles P2 and landing and takeoff seems pretty straight forward?

joe21- You bring up some good points about using the way point mode with acres. This is something that I would like to discuss with you in greater detail. Especially setting up a "mission". I have not researched this in much detail. Thanks for the NFZ heads up. I am about 100 miles south of ATL so it does not look like an issue.

sdharris - This is probably why I will go with the Pro. A couple hundred bucks is not going to sway my decision on video/photo quality. I have a 5TB external hd.

joe21 - This is another question I had. I have a mac book pro and will be transferring the video/pics every 2 missions or so. If this is the case it sounds like I will be able to get by with the 16 gig card?

Allan8056 - Extra Props & Guards sound like a good idea. What do you mean by putting string on the guards? And you suggest an 18" USB so you do not have a long cord hanging down from the remote right?

Again thanks for all the suggestions and feedback!

a good tablet like the apple ipad mini 4.

also buying used might help you decide and save a good bit.

Why is everyone so evangelical about Apple? The Galaxy Tab S2 is one of the very best out there at the moment. The most important thing of all is visibility of the screen in daylight - check a few and make your choice from that!

This has turned into an excellent discussion quicker than I thought. Thanks for all the good points!

zobiwu - i am going to give it a shot with my Samsung s6 first. I would just purchase stuff like this new personally.

The S6 should be fine - I use my S5 and never had a single glitch with it. Screen could be bigger obviously so getting a Tab S2 8.4".

As others have said I wouldnt bother waiting for the P4 - they always have problems when a new model comes out! And goodness knows what sort of restrictions it will have.

Prop guards only for flying around trees or indoors.

A transmitter strap makes all the difference.

Hello,
Go ahead with the p3p and it's a great idea to make a time lapse as gift of memories on how the property is developed to your daughters and in the future technology will even move ahead of 4k and every home might have a 4k TV so it's good to make ur videos future ready :)

No one had mentioned a ND filter try the Polar Pro ND Filters I have a PL, ND4, ND8, ND 16 Filters Atleast u can get 4 and 8.

Putting strings on gaurd

The non-cellular iPads will work, but lack the ability to so something with the P3 (can't recall exactly what).

Its functions such as Follow Me that needs the cellular version as cellular versions come with a GPS receiver in the iPad whereas the non cellular do not.

No one had mentioned a ND filter try the Polar Pro ND Filters I have a PL, ND4, ND8, ND 16 Filters Atleast u can get 4 and 8.

Yeah filters are a good idea.

msinger - awesome link!

BigAl07 - I do not want to just shoot what I will utilize today. I want to shoot the best quality that I can because I'm sure it will come in hand down the road.

Sinisalo - I do not think I will hold out as I will be breaking ground in the next couple weeks. I have waited for electronics/technology in the past and........ well don't hold your breath. I see no reason to have wheel s on a case. Why is "hand catch" more preferred? I have flown an uncles P2 and landing and takeoff seems pretty straight forward?

joe21- You bring up some good points about using the way point mode with acres. This is something that I would like to discuss with you in greater detail. Especially setting up a "mission". I have not researched this in much detail. Thanks for the NFZ heads up. I am about 100 miles south of ATL so it does not look like an issue.

sdharris - This is probably why I will go with the Pro. A couple hundred bucks is not going to sway my decision on video/photo quality. I have a 5TB external hd.

joe21 - This is another question I had. I have a mac book pro and will be transferring the video/pics every 2 missions or so. If this is the case it sounds like I will be able to get by with the 16 gig card?

Allan8056 - Extra Props & Guards sound like a good idea. What do you mean by putting string on the guards? And you suggest an 18" USB so you do not have a long cord hanging down from the remote right?

I prefer to hand catch because the gimbal motor can be overloaded just landing in short grass. (yes I have a carbon fiber gimbal guard) and it still overloads the gimbal motors landing in regular soccer field grass. I suppose if you landed on a fairway at the golf course you wouldn't encounter this problem but with grass any longer than that you would. I take off from a small piece of cardboard about 18"x18" and it blows around if you try to land on it. Also you can occasionally tip over during landing so hand catching will just save money on props and prevent your gimbal motors from being damaged over time. Also I don't think you need to worry about being cut up unless you are reckless and you have carbon fiber reinforced props. The plastic props will hurt and might slightly cut you but it won't be a gash like the video posted earlier in this thread. I have never been hit by my props though in any of my 55 flights with my Phantom.

Reactions: Wibble

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing