About ready to pull the trigger on a P3 Pro

Tablet vs Phone

I have a P2+ Vision for over a year now, and bought the P3P in December.

1/ Started using iPhone 6S Plus on P3P. As you can cover huge distances and will lose LOS of the craft often, this didn't work for me. Orientation on a map (of yourself and where you are facing and the craft) and through the lens is just not good enough to give you a high level of confidence that you know where you are and how the craft is orientated. It worked fine on the P2 because it didnt have the range to ever be out of LOS, but to me even the large 6S Plus screen is too small.

Tablet (go cheap)
2/ Bought an iPad Mini 3 in December as they were on sellout, wifi only and 16GB. Worked well with a sunshade, but not good at showing how I am facing although the craft direction was accurate. Had some scary moments where the sun was behind me... reflection on the screen was terrible and the screen washes out in direct sunlight. Needed to make sure maps were cached before hand, and the lack of a barometer was a hindrance in dynamic waypoint mode. Size of screen increase confidence dramatically.

Tablet (rethink)
3/ Returned the Mini 3 and bought Mini 4. The new tightly laminated screen is superb, even without a shade in sunlight it has less reflection and is brighter. Personally I use it with a sunshade, but if the sun is behind me at times it is no longer a panic moment. There is a reason it is currently rated as the best tablet screen available including the iPad pro. Orientation on maps is now spot on, and the lag is perhaps a touch better, downloading maps just happens, and the responsiveness of the app is crisper. It has been my best experience and to me is well worth it.

Tablet (Also tried)
4/ Lenovo 8 inch I won in a golf competition. Worked well, little lag, but the screen was the worst of all, really unusable except in the shade.

So to sum up, for me after the month I spent trying various options, the iPad Mini 4 works best for my use. I always feel I am in control of the craft, and know where it is in relation to me even though I cannot see it. This allows me to keep the antennae pointing at the craft which improves video and control reception, as well as making sure I am not putting others at risk. I have used it with Litchi, way-points, poi, follow me, I use dynamic home-point as quite often I am walking whilst flying. My style of flying is all around me, I explore and typically fly up to 2km and at 50-100m. I am always in sunlight and here in South Africa it is pretty bright.

HDR Pano taken last week
DJI_0008-HDR-Pano-2.jpg

heres why one should get the apple tablet, not android..

dji go video is smoother and the lag is lower. significantly. even on the fastest android tablet. thats all.
i dont use my apple tablet for anything else. i dislike ios. heck i also dislike dji.

but ill get the best tool for the job and right now its dji and apple stuff,
android fanboism shouldn't make one recommend the lesser tool. android is my current choice for my phone and tablet that i use as a tablet (so yea i have 2)

Reactions: Caveman Bruce
So I have been doing some research for several weeks and feel that the P3 Pro is the drone for me. My primary reason for the purchase is to capture video and photos of 47 acres that my wife and I recently purchased. We are going to be putting in a driveway and building a home in the next couple months. I have plans for many projects over the next couple years: fences, gardens, clay range, rifle range, orchards, pond ect. I think it's a great idea to document this transformation as it will all be passed to my girls one day and should bring back good memories.

One thing that is holding me back a little is the fact that this has been out about a year right? There does not seem to be too many rumors on when the 4 may be released. I understand that electronics and internet rumors should be taken with a grain of salt.

Anyways, here is what I am planning on purchasing:

-- B&H seems to have the best price on the drone

DJI Phantom 3 Professional Quadcopter with 4K CP.PT.000181 B&H

-- An extra battery

-- A 64 gig micro card

Amazon.com: PNY U3 Turbo Performance 64GB High Speed MicroSDXC Class 10 UHS-I, up to 90MB/sec Flash Card (P-SDUX64U390G-GE): Computers & Accessories

-- I do not plan on going hiking much or transporting it a whole lot so a hard case off ebay should work fine.

Professional Hard Shoulder Bag Carry Case Backpack For DJI Phantom 3 & Accessory

Is there anything else that you guys would recommend to get started?

Thanks!

Try Drone-world.com they 2 offer a great bang for the buck. You won't be sorry with the Phantom 3 Pro. It takes great pictures, movies and is a very stable aircraft to fly. Waiting for the 4 to come out is like waiting for a new iPhone, today it's the best in its' field and tomorrow... Well you know.

I've been using a UDI 818 drone. eBay for about $65. It flies well for why it is and I would say it has been a great beginner drone/quad copter. I even cut the plastic prop guards off of it to lighten it up and experimented with slightly more powerful batteries. It has at least a 100' radius and shoots low quality video So ready to buy a P3P!!!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

The Camera on the P3P is fantastic, make sure you get a few extra batteries. Drone-World has the Thor 3 Battery Charger and it will also do your remote at the same time at a quick speed. The Charger with the P3P is a 100 watt charger very good but DJI recommends you either do the battery or the remote separately. You will get at the most 25 min each flight but that is pushing it. This drone is amazing, it connects to Russian and US Satellites, this increases the stability and tracking performance of the drone. The app from DJI .. DJI Go is a good app. The other nice feature it has a return to home feature which kicks in if you don't head the warnings automatically. Thus decreasing the chance of losing the drone. It is the Cadillac of Drones, DJI puts out the Inspire but it does not come with a Camera. It has an training simulator as part of the app, where you use the actual remote to practice. As I said you won't be sorry. There is a huge difference in the Phantom 3 series- the Professional is the best! I have been very happy, I know you will.

Happy Flying!

heres why one should get the apple tablet, not android..

dji go video is smoother and the lag is lower. significantly. even on the fastest android tablet. thats all.
I have the apple air 2. I love it for this use. I will say that I have not seen or heard of any empirical evidence that Apple runs the app better or is faster than the android.

If someone has a link to a test or a comparison of the two I would be interested in reading it..

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thanks Nick, Exactly the info that I was looking for!

I have not found dronewold packages to be much of a deal.

If you do get a cheap beginner drone be aware that the Phantom will handle much differently. The Phantom is much more stable in a breeze, will hover in its place, and cannot do 360 flips like some of the cheap models. Of course it is not meant to do aerobatics either. I admit I don't have a lot of experience with the Phantom but enough to tell you the Phantom is a dream compared to the Syma x5c or anything like that. Listen to the elders on this site and you will learn to enjoy your Phantom and make some beautiful memories with it. Good luck and don't wait too long.

So I have been doing some research for several weeks and feel that the P3 Pro is the drone for me. My primary reason for the purchase is to capture video and photos of 47 acres that my wife and I recently purchased. We are going to be putting in a driveway and building a home in the next couple months. I have plans for many projects over the next couple years: fences, gardens, clay range, rifle range, orchards, pond ect. I think it's a great idea to document this transformation as it will all be passed to my girls one day and should bring back good memories.

One thing that is holding me back a little is the fact that this has been out about a year right? There does not seem to be too many rumors on when the 4 may be released. I understand that electronics and internet rumors should be taken with a grain of salt.

Anyways, here is what I am planning on purchasing:

-- B&H seems to have the best price on the drone

DJI Phantom 3 Professional Quadcopter with 4K CP.PT.000181 B&H

-- An extra battery

-- A 64 gig micro card

Amazon.com: PNY U3 Turbo Performance 64GB High Speed MicroSDXC Class 10 UHS-I, up to 90MB/sec Flash Card (P-SDUX64U390G-GE): Computers & Accessories

-- I do not plan on going hiking much or transporting it a whole lot so a hard case off ebay should work fine.

Professional Hard Shoulder Bag Carry Case Backpack For DJI Phantom 3 & Accessory

Is there anything else that you guys would recommend to get started?

Thanks!
I would not buy used unless you know someone. Also if your planning on cover that much acreage I would buy the DBS long range antenna kit to get the best quality distance video.

Also I agree with the iPad. Just get one with cellular for ease of use and GPS.

Good Luck!

Well thanks for all the advice and suggestions. I just purchased the P3 Pro from B&H.
P3 Pro $1,159
Extra Battery $125
Total $1,284
no tax or shipping. That is the best price I could find from a reputable company.

I will let you know in a couple weeks. I sure hope so as it is quite an investment.

Yeah tell me about it! I had mine fall out of the sky! I have bought two now.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20