2 years old P3P, should I buy?

Reaction score
Someone is selling P3P for a bargain price.
It is 2 years old, bought June 2015. I think its the first P3P batch.
RC is coded gl300a.

The owner never do any maintenance on it.
The arm have developed very visible crack,

74161-5a8605d4a8d25640e9fddc999dfd1c63.jpg

The two battery shows 42 and 24 charge cycle.

What do you guys think? Should I buy it?
What should I be aware of?

Attachments

• crack.png
    crack.png
    553.9 KB · Views: 547
At the least, you'll need to replace the shell. You can purchase a shell from DJI, eBay, or Amazon. Here's an example showing what's involved to replace it:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Reactions: Casey Cassity
Looking at the dirt in those four centre bolts, they look like they've been removed, probably to fit prop guards. Looks like they were over tightened, going on or when they came off.
Are you able to go and physically see the AC flying? If it all flys OK, and you have the confidence as msinger says, change the shell and that'll be a bargain.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vichian-Bruno
Looks like they were over tightened

Agree, at least the on at "8 o'clock".
I personally think this opportunity is not worth to spend some money.

Are you able to go and physically see the AC flying?

This might be the key question, to see the bird flying and verifying a recorded footage since the bird is one part, the camera's functionality the other one.

Bungrudi
Since you speak of a bird produced back in 2015, I think it's likely you have to deal with a jewel (if it functions flawlessly of course).

To explain: DJI has made at least three P3P models, that were licensed at FCC, the best one being the one named W323 (not W323A or B etc). W323 has the maximum RF power (means range) and is having this FCC ID: SS3-WM3231503. Is your AC having this one ? (may be found on the AC right-side label along to the big lettered CE1313)
Later on (2016) I've noticed DJI has placed on the market also less powered models, with FCC ID: SS3-WM3231507 that has -18% RF power compared with the '1503' model, and another one with FCC ID: SS3-WM3231510, that has -28% RF power compared with the reference '1503'.

The same in terms of RF power applies for the RC. DJI has licensed to FCC three models GL300A, B & C. A&B have the same high RF power, while C is less powered. Since you state the bargain AC comes with the RC GL300A, means you have the best RC DJI made for the P3P/A models.

About the batteries. Both are ok from the charge cycle number point of view, 24 it's like a new unit, while 42 cycles isn't crap at all. I have a battery that has 58 cycles and still has 4000 mAh (90% of a new one).

True, you have to deal with the shell and its cracks, but @dan84uk has given you the solution by epoxy-ing them from inside. If money isn't an issue, buy a new shell as @msinger has suggested.
Opening the shell is a nightmare, because you have to take a lot of care not do damage anything inside, but Dan has shared to all of us a true revelation with this video "opening the shell in 60 sec" :)

But before all these, you have to make sure the whole suit is functioning, so it's worth investing in it further. Start the motors. Listen them, they should run in a smooth manner.
Take-off and hover at 5-6 m. The bird shouldn't "walz* around the given point, but stay "as hooked" in the sky. Stay here minutes and make sure all is ok. In open field the bird should see at least 15 satellites. Check the compass mod figure (it should be in this span 1400-1600)
Check if it records HD/2.7k/4k video well, rotate the AC rapidly in the air left-right, it shouldn't get some video artefacts, macroblocks a.s.o.
Make sure you have a solid phone/tablet, it would be a pitty to conclude wrongly about the bird, but the root cause is actually the device which runs the GO app.

By sure, other experienced folks here present, might offer their know-how too in terms of evaluating the suite.
Tell us how is going.

has suggested.
Opening the shell is a nightmare, because you have to take a lot of care not do damage anything inside, but Dan has shared to all of us a true revelation with this video "opening the shell in 60 sec" :)

I never miss an opportunity to demonstrate my phantom open skills lol

the part where the screwdrivers all fell at the same time appeased my ocd :) great video.

to the OP, the guys here have all made valid points. The thing you omitted was the price. At $800 mehh .. at $400 yeah, at $600 .. maybe. The batteries have some charges, and that crack needs fixing.

I dont think its a case of over tightening the screws, i think its using the wrong tool / bit to tighten them. The motor screws and case arm screws are a different bit.

The thing you omitted was the price. At $800 mehh .. at $400 yeah, at $600 .. maybe. The batteries have some charges, and that crack needs fixing.

Yep price omission was intentional, as I dont live where most people in here do.
It's around 650 USD, but I guarantee you that's a bargain price where I live :)

Now the only thing left is to actually go to the seller's place and do some test as most of you guys suggested; which will be a 3 hours drive in total :expressionless:

Hey @dan84uk , I have the exact GPS tracker installed in exactly the same position, how cool is that :D

Reactions: Digdat0 and dan84uk
Yep price omission was intentional, as I dont live where most people in here do.
It's around 650 USD, but I guarantee you that's a bargain price where I live :)

Now the only thing left is to actually go to the seller's place and do some test as most of you guys suggested; which will be a 3 hours drive in total :expressionless:

Hey @dan84uk , I have the exact GPS tracker installed in exactly the same position, how cool is that :D

good luck, keep us posted! For 650, if it were in the US, I would buy a refurb unit, but understand its expensive and hard to get where you are at.

Don't buy a 2yr ld unit for $650

I just got a Refurbished P3p With a one yr warranty for $579 on eBay

I had extra postage to pay as I live in Scotland, but if you live in US it's a great deal at $579

@ABZ Pilot, would you please tell what FCC ID has your refurbished aircraft ? And what RC version (GL300A,B,C) came along to it ?

I agree with ABZ. Buy refurbished. The prices direct from dji refurbished fluctuate. the P3p was $550 last week. I got a P3 standard for $329 and we've been going over a mile with it. Just watch the prices they change.

Reactions: Digdat0

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31