120fps Poor Video Quality

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to flying the Phantom, but I've been a cinematographer for quite a while. I'm loving my new P4P+, but I've noticed the video quality while shooting 1080/120p is disappointing. I thought I may have been doing something wrong, so I've shot numerous tests. There is no problem importing and conforming the 120fps footage to play back slow motion, but when looking at it on a calibrated production monitor, I'm seeing a ton of artifacting. Some other camera systems will drop their resolution in order to shoot high speed, and it really looks like that's what is happening here. I looks like this shooting half-res, like 960x540 and then up-rezing it to fit the 1080p container. Has anyone else had these issues? I haven't tried 1080/60p and 4k/60p to see if the same problem is present, but 4k and 1080 - 24p and 30p look great.

Thanks,
Walter

Yup. A lot has been posted here about the high frame rates not using the whole resolution that the lower rates have. Mostly people have been talking about 4K and that shooting anything higher than 30p looks pretty weak. I'm not sure what the cutoff for HD is but I'm not surprised you find the 120p lacking.

Yup. A lot has been posted here about the high frame rates not using the whole resolution that the lower rates have. Mostly people have been talking about 4K and that shooting anything higher than 30p looks pretty weak. I'm not sure what the cutoff for HD is but I'm not surprised you find the 120p lacking.

Thanks for the reply... I had been searching, but didn't find anything to that end. 4k/24p and 30p look great, especially with h.265. I guess I'll have to test 60p for myself to see how it looks, but from what you're saying I won't expect too much. I can imagine a few instances where I'd trade a minor drop in sharpness for a higher frame rate, but it's good to know what to expect.

Hello everybody.

Maybe somebody had or has the same issue when shooting 120 fps. The whole image is bad especially textures (trees, brick walls etc.)
Here is an example.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Here is some comparison of 25/50/120 fps
- only 120 fps video looks junk!

Hello everybody.

Maybe somebody had or has the same issue when shooting 120 fps. The whole image is bad especially textures (trees, brick walls etc.)
Here is an example.

Here is some comparison of 25/50/120 fps
- only 120 fps video looks junk!
I'm not sure what you're referring to as "junk". Given the settings you chose, the clarity for 120FPS when I view these two videos on YouTube is clear and good for 1080. Make sure you click the YouTube gear wheel settings icon and set the resolution to a fixed 1080, NOT AUTO. It looks fine to me in 1080.

When you shoot into the sun your results for color will be poor. To optimize color put the sun to the rear of the drone during the last hour of the day for best lighting.
In your street shots, you have auto exposure enabled, that's why it looks overexposed in the beginning of your 120 clip. As you pitched up and down it corrected itself, adjusting to the light.
There are other settings to add more saturation that would help your video look more vivid and pretty if you want better looking vids.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you're referring to as "junk". Given the settings you chose, the clarity for 120FPS when I view these two videos on YouTube is clear and good for 1080. Make sure you click the YouTube gear wheel settings icon and set the resolution to a fixed 1080, NOT AUTO. It looks fine to me in 1080.

When you shoot into the sun your results for color will be poor. To optimize color put the sun to the rear of the drone during the last hour of the day for best lighting.
In your street shots, you have auto exposure enabled, that's why it looks overexposed in the beginning of your 120 clip. As you pitched up and down it corrected itself, adjusting to the light.
There are other settings to add more saturation that would help your video look more vivid and pretty if you want better looking vids.

Thanks for the answer.

I didn't add any saturation or contrast for a reason to get flatter image in natural colour profile. I also didn't use any postproduction to show video direct from drone.
I shot with manual shutter all the time (twice faster than a frame rate) - I always do it.
Direct sun is not an issue when shooting 4K.

I am also not a first year "video-shooter" ;)

I ment that the image looks oversharpened in the areas where are some "strong" textures (trees or brick walls) - it looks like a moir. That what I ment saying "junk". I have also videos shot in a dull weather or by sun direction.

Here is 4K example shot in the forest. Everithing if fine.

"Make sure you click the YouTube gear wheel settings icon and set the resolution to a fixed 1080, NOT AUTO" - I do not know, how to do it :rolleyes:... I will check later in google :cool:
p/s/ Excuse me if my English is not good sometimes :)))

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.