Would appreciate some help with video settings

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been experimenting with various resolutions and frame rates together with post rendering settings.

Whilst I'm reasonably happy with the results, they don't seem to match some of the excellent results I've seen posted.

I'm in the UK so PAL is my native environment, but I'm not sure that's too relevant these days.

I use Sony Vegas Movie Studio for post editing and rendering.

My stills are good, shooting RAW and as an original alpha tester of both Photoshop (yes, I am that old!) and Lightroom (ex RawShooter) I can squeeze enough out of the raw images to keep me pleased.

Video however is giving me problems. I film in 1920x1080 30p and it's 'OK'

I've tried 1280x720 60p and run at half speed but it seems a bit jittery especially when slow panning on a building with vertical lines which seem to 'twitch'

I'm not sure if it's my filming settings or rendering thats at fault and would really value some help.

Viewing is on both a 27" Samsung (calibrated) monitor and the same make 65" UHD (4k) TV so I don't think its that.

I also appreciate the P2V+ camera isn't broadcast quality equipment, but I do see others achieving better with it than I am.

I have searched but not really found my answers. If it's all been covered before would someone please point me to the link and I apologise for taking up forum time.

Thanks

This is as far as I have got: http://youtu.be/fPTr-G0tMh4

I work with Vegas Pro but Vegas Movie Studio has a similar framework. You may want to shoot in 1920 x 1080 60i format and just be sure your project settings in Vegas are the same. Interlacing 60 frames may give you smoother video than 30p if there is significant motion in the clip. Slow panning is really problematic - you really have to go very slow for 30p to keep up or you will see that artifact you describe. For 1280 x 720 60p - disable resampling in the clips you are using in slow motion. The smart resample function does not do very well with slow motion 60p. You get less ghosting with resampling disabled.

Try these things and let me know how it turns out. I work in NTSC mode all the time so now sure how best to handle the 25 fps issues with PAL.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj