Zenmuse H3-D3 gimbal in detail

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I bought several months ago a Phantom 2 in a box containing also a nice black boxed Zenmuse 3-3 gimbal. I mounted it apparently with no problems. I say "apparently" because I have not yet flawn with it. I added also a Hero 3+ gopro camera (not included).
The mounting process triggered in my mind some questions I would be grateful if someone kindly will answer.
I set two links via ribbon cable: a) pre-intalled stripe cable (8 pin) coming ot by the Phantom body to the anti-interference board ant then to the Zenmuse female 8 pin plug; b) short connection from the back of the camera holder to the side camera female plug via the output board connector.
Questions are:
1 I did'nt mount any gimbal controller (apparently as from istructions not required). I read somewhere that the gimbal requires a controller (IMU, CMU) (also sold separately). Is it reasonable to suppose that the controller is included in the Phantom 2 internal flight controller (probably a Naza-M)?
2 Which is the function of connection b)? On the transmitter I have only, on the rear, a kind of slide lever. I suppose it controls the camera position on X axis, but has no control on start/stop of the camera. May be connection b) is able to deliver camera images, for a kind of FPV. In this case, wich will be the complete setting to receive at ground such images? And wich will be the complete route of the signal?
Thank you very much in advance,
giulio36

sounds like you mounted the "anti-interference board" properly... you take the cable coming out the bottom of the Phantom, into the little board, and then the other side of the board plugs into the back/top of the H3-3D. If you are interested, in the first minute of this video there are pictures showing how to mount that board internally inside the Phantom. This is something you may want to do if you continue on and install live FPV (more on this in a minute) since you'll have the Phantom body open anyway

So here's what's happening: The USB connector you plugged into the gopro is both providing power to the gopro, AND taking a video output feed into the gimbal, which then travels up that grey cable and onto the Phantom mainboard. Indeed, from there it can be used in a live FPV application.

I'm assuming you purchased them as a bundle, and got the H3-3D with the sticker that says "for Phantom 2 only" - with this arrangement you do NOT need a separate gimbal controller. the Phantom 2 controls the H3-3D gimbal just fine itself.

The lever on the back of the RC (called the X1 lever) is for controlling the tilt of the gimbal during flight... at one extreme, the gimbal should be pointed straight forward. As you move that lever, the gimbal/gopro should point down so that at the other extreme (of the lever) the gopro is now facing straight down. You can control this at any time, on the ground or during flight.

If you are interested in setting up a live FPV system so that you can see live through the GoPro, that's about another $450 in various equipment. As of today, you will NOT control the start/stop of the Gopro during flight... there is absolutely no mechanism for this. You will start the gopro recording, then fly, then stop manually after you land.

If you want more info on live FPV, head over to the FPV forum (kudos for posting this question in the appropriate H3-3D forum) there are many many discussions about setting up live FPV from a beginner perspective. Check the stickythreads too

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues