Zenmuse H3-3D on a Phantom 2 Vision Plus

ATC Drone Flyer said:
Once I have ALL the pieces on hand and complete the retrofit, I'll post a follow-up report. . .
For anyone who cares: I just found out the hard way that if you plan on incorporating a DJI iOSD mini into this conversion you will have to order one of these as well: http://www.uavdirect.com/Phantom-2-CAN- ... canmod.htm

DJISP-P2-CANMOD-2.jpg

Hello all,

A little late to the party but have been wracking my addled brain on behalf of a client of mine.

He too has the Phantom Vision 2 and purchased an H3-3D - After speaking to a dji dealer I do business with, he informed me I needed the fpv breakout board and accompanying wires. Done.

After confidently telling my client that this "shouldn't take long" I discovered that I am lacking a long 8 wire ribbon cable that is supposed to be inside the Phantom. No luck. We ordered what we think is the right cable from BH Photo but not sure where it should plug in to the main board - I have attached a snap of the board for reference. We are not using osd and would like to be able to have manual pitch control via a 2 position switch or doing a hack of the tx and adding a lever to have analog control.

I've removed the video cable that was there for the vision 2's camera and also the servo wire going to F2 on the NAZA board.

Questions:
assuming the 8 wire ribbon cable goes to the zenmuse connector on the board and then to the fpv breakout board - are there any connections I'm overlooking? and what about pitch control? any way to access that feature? Is that ported through 8 wire cable?

the CAM port is where the video cable came in but the pitch control is a servo wire - any way to splice that in?

Thanks - I've been flying multis for several years and much more comfortable with doing it from scratch! Never owned a phantom but I like their modular design - just wish there was more uniformity!

Regards,

Steve

Attachments

• vision2.jpg
    vision2.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 2,188
Dear Steve,
It looks as though the pair of us (you and I) are something of brother–in–arms (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictiona ... er-in-arms) due to our recent shared experiences. I too am struggling with a few aspects of doing this conversion. Please see my comments below:

scphoto said:
Hello all,

A little late to the party but have been wracking my addled brain on behalf of a client of mine.

He too has the Phantom Vision 2 and purchased an H3-3D - After speaking to a dji dealer I do business with, he informed me I needed the fpv breakout board and accompanying wires. Done.
Just as a disclaimer I will mention that the conversion that I am doing is from a Phantom 2 Vision '+' to Phantom 2. Unless you left that detail out, it sounds like you are doing a Phantom 2 Vision to Phantom 2. I don't know exactly what the differences are in the Main Board configuration but the photo that you provided seems to look virtually identical to mine.

scphoto said:
After confidently telling my client that this "shouldn't take long" I discovered that I am lacking a long 8 wire ribbon cable that is supposed to be inside the Phantom. No luck. We ordered what we think is the right cable from BH Photo but not sure where it should plug in to the main board - I have attached a snap of the board for reference.
The photo IS helpful. The "long 8 wire ribbon cable" you speak of (I'm guessing) is the cable that would be used to connect the Zenmuse port on the Main Board to the H3-3D Gimbal. One thing that concerns me about your photo is I do not see the "Anti-interference Reinforcement Board" anywhere. As I understand it, the wiring should go like this:
From the Zenmuse port on the Main Board there is a short 8 pin cable that plugs in to the "Inductor" side (it looks like a little square silver box) of the Anti-interference Reinforcement Board. Then, on the capacitor side of the (AiR) board (this looks like a little black and grey can with two silver legs sticking out of the bottom of it) there is a longer 8 pin cable that is fed through one of the holes in the landing gear and plugs in to the back of the Zenmuse H3-3D Gimbal. This may be where my troubles begin as the cable I used for this purpose only has 6 wires out of the 8 populated in the connector. I cannibalized this cable from the original 'Vision +' setup. If I can find one, I think I'll try to order a similar cable that has ALL 8 wires populated. If anyone happens to know the part number off the top of their head, that would be helpful :)
Anyone else who might be reading this, please check out this post viewtopic.php?f=26&t=24016&p=231429#p231429 as it is also related to this same topic. . .

scphoto said:
We are not using osd and would like to be able to have manual pitch control via a 2 position switch or doing a hack of the tx and adding a lever to have analog control.
Yeah, I would highly recommend doing the latter. . .

scphoto said:
Questions:
assuming the 8 wire ribbon cable goes to the zenmuse connector on the board
Yes, that sounds correct to me. . .

scphoto said:
and then to the fpv breakout board - are there any connections I'm overlooking?
THAT I cannot help you with. I am not utilizing the FPV breakout board, and I'm not quite sure why you need it. What did your DJI Dealer tell you? Why did HE say you needed that?

scphoto said:
and what about pitch control? any way to access that feature? Is that ported through 8 wire cable?
I'm not positive, but my instincts tell me YES. I'm using a FrSky Taranis TX/RX combination, and on my setup, the Gimbal vertical tilt is controlled by RX/TX Channel 5.

scphoto said:
the CAM port is where the video cable came in but the pitch control is a servo wire - any way to splice that in?
Would you happen to remember which two connector pins the Video Cable was connected to? Any chance it was the two closest to the edge of Main Board? (See question # 2 of this post - viewtopic.php?f=26&t=24016&p=231429#p231429)

scphoto said:
. . . just wish there was more uniformity!
AMEN to that one brother :!:

Here is a picture of MY Main Board:
mLEUCwR.jpg

z10m said:
I'm doing the same thing at the moment.
Got some parts already and others are on the way from China.
I will be using stock DJI 5.8ghz remote controller and 2.4ghz video transmitter and receiver.
I have already installed DIY made gimbal tilt lever which now works fine after enabling it with software. (phantom 2 tool or assistant software 1.08 can be used for that)
I'm using cheap 2 axis eBay gimbal for now and for the tilt control to work correctly I had to downgrade phantom to 1.08 and set automatic control gain pitch to 0 than update back to 3.06.
For FPV I'm using cheap 7" LCD screen with separate 2.4ghz 500mw video transmitter and receiver powered by 1300mah 3s Lipo battery.
I will post some more pictures and videos when remaining parts will be delivered.
IMAG0782.jpg

zdj_cie_1.jpg

zdj_cie_2.jpg

What video transmitter are you using?
I looked around and I only found the 5.8 transmitters....
Because if not the only other solution I can think if is to chane the phantom video transmitter itself thus making it into a phantom 2.... However instill wouldn't know about the main board... Would it still recognize as vision?
Thanks

jgmayer said:
What video transmitter are you using?
I looked around and I only found the 5.8 transmitters....
Because if not the only other solution I can think if is to chane the phantom video transmitter itself thus making it into a phantom 2.... However instill wouldn't know about the main board... Would it still recognize as vision?
Thanks

Hi here is my current setup: http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=24784&p=229011#p229011
2.4Ghz video transmitter and receiver was ordered from China but dispatched from Singapore and arrived within 5 days.! paid around 62 USD.

scphoto said:
We are not using osd and would like to be able to have manual pitch control via a 2 position switch or doing a hack of the tx and adding a lever to have analog control.

No hack is needed but you need to mount tilt lever on the back of your controller which you can buy or build yourself and enable it in software by changing from Vision to H3-2D with this tool : https://www.dropbox.com/s/17l9l7jgnijngmj/phantom2-tool.rar?dl=0

Hope this helps.

Okay, I'm now one cable assembly away from completing this project. Trouble is, I have searched, and searched, and searched for this specific cable for four (4) days and I can't find a source of supply. Please! If there is ANYONE out there who knows where I can requisition such a cable, please share that information here. Below is a photo of my Main Board. The arrow and descritive text in YELLOW is what I'm looking for. . .

7jmYQDR.jpg

Additionally, this is what the cable would look like on a brand new Phantom 2 (the Red, Yellow, and Brown one, NOT the Grey one)

a6327655-20-Phantom2-8.jpg

A Cable assembly such as the one below would also be acceptable (but not preferred).

NGH-CBL-DJI-PH2.jpg

At this point, I'd even settle for an official DJI Part Number for this Cable. . .

Thanks in advance :!:

Shoot I just realized I never got back to this to try to help you figure it out. :oops: But I have some good news for you...look what I found in my spares box:

M1ye0Ell.jpg

I've looked in every DJI cable kit I can find and I don't see it in any of them, so I'm not sure where I got it from (I don't own any P2's). I'm thinking it might have come with a P1 upgrade board but I can't remember. You're welcome to it if you want it, but if you're hooking up any common FPV transmitter, with or without iOSD mini, there's pre-made cables you can get that are completely plug-and-play between those components and that port on the mainboard. Remind me what you're planning to connect and I can show you your options there.

OI Photography said:
Remind me what you're planning to connect and I can show you your options there.
Hello OI Photography,
I was starting to worry that I had either pissed you off or that you had fallen off the edge of the Earth or something :lol:
I sent you a PM on Tuesday September 09th, and I never got a reply from you :(
Anyway, to save me some typing please revisit the OP here: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=24016
It's got a sufficiently detailed account of what I'm going for. . .

Off Topic Warning:
While I have your attention, you know I'm going to pick your brain for a minute or two :)
On August 31st you said this: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=24016&start=10#p225828 (Thanks again!)
I've since watched all the videos you linked and I flashed the model you attached to get me started configuring my Taranis. I'm going slow and taking baby steps, but thus far I haven't been able to figure out how to get a full range of motion (Vertical Tilt) out of my H3-3D Gimbal. I have the right slider on my Taranis setup to control the tilt. I expected to get roughly 90 degrees of tilt ranging from straight ahead to straight down, but instead I'm only getting about half (45 degrees) that. Adjusting the slider in the center detent position points the GoPro about where I would expect; somewhere halfway between straight ahead and straight down. Have you any tips for me as to how to resolve that?

Thanks as always :!:

ATC Drone Flyer said:
Okay, I'm now one cable assembly away from completing this project. Trouble is, I have searched, and searched, and searched for this specific cable for four (4) days and I can't find a source of supply. Please! If there is ANYONE out there who knows where I can requisition such a cable, please share that information here.

Well I have used the cable that was already in there (yes phantom 2 vision+ has one as well) the only difference is that its grey an has connector on the other end.
So I have cut the connector and soldered connectors for my video transmitter.

z10m said:
Well I have used the cable that was already in there (yes phantom 2 vision+ has one as well) the only difference is that its grey an has connector on the other end.
So I have cut the connector and soldered connectors for my video transmitter.
And, what about POWER?
Power for the Video Transmitter is supposed to come from that connector as well.
If you count the pins starting from the edge of the Main Board (let's call that Pin #1) I believe it goes like this:
1.) Camera Video
2.) Video Ground
3.) Camera Power 0 Volts (Neutral, Return or whatever you want to call it. . .)
4.) Camera Power +5VDC (or some other positive DC voltage)

On my 'Grey Cable' only two (2) out of six wires were populated in the connector that plugs in to the socket labled "Cam"
I pulled the other two connector pins out of the plug that was originally plugged into the Wi-Fi Module, but it was a different kind of connector, and the pins were about a 1/16 of an inch too long to fit into the 'Cam Port" plug :(

So how did YOU do it :?:

ATC Drone Flyer said:
On my 'Grey Cable' only two (2) out of six wires were populated in the connector that plugs in to the socket labled "Cam"
I pulled the other two connector pins out of the plug that was originally plugged into the Wi-Fi Module, but it was a different kind of connector, and the pins were about a 1/16 of an inch too long to fit into the 'Cam Port" plug :(

So how did YOU do it :?:

And you have a vision plus.?
on my grey cable there were all six cables so i had to remove two that I didnt need.

ATC Drone Flyer said:

Is it 5V.? Thats not good as my transmitter is rated at 12V that means I will lose some transmit power.
Will have to connect it elsewhere.

z10m said:
And you have a vision plus.?
That IS CORRECT sir. . .

z10m said:
on my grey cable there were all six cables so i had to remove two that I didnt need.
Wow. Aren't you the lucky one. If I were that lucky, I'd be out FLYING right now! (or at least trying to :D )
Check out the picture I posted a few replies back. You can clearly see that there are only two wires punched into that plug. . .

ATC Drone Flyer said:
z10m said:
Is it 5V.? Thats not good as my transmitter is rated at 12V that means I will lose some transmit power.
Will have to connect it elsewhere.
I am NOT positive about that voltage. I have NOT measured it. But if you think about it, the "Smart Battery" is only rated for 11.1 VDC, so unless there is some sort of DC-to-DC converter on the Main Board, the voltage on pin 4 has got to be something less than that. . . :geek:

ATC Drone Flyer said:
I am NOT positive about that voltage. I have NOT measured it. But if you think about it, the "Smart Battery" is only rated for 11.1 VDC, so unless there is some sort of DC-to-DC converter on the Main Board, the voltage on pin 4 has got to be something less than that. . . :geek:

Checked it with digital multimeter and with fully charged battery it was reading 12.5V

Okay, I think I've got it straight in my head now lol. As long as your equipment list is the same as in that other thread, this is the cable that will connect the port on the mainboard to the iOSD mini and your boscam tx: http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/Video-Cable- ... xtech.html

I'll confirm what z10m found about the power on that lead, puts out 12v (that's what most common FPV tx's need). Other than that, your listing of each of the pins is right on the money.

Since I don't know diddly-squat about the P2V/P2V+ camera setups I'm not at all sure what the 2-strand grey cable you originally had in that port was for...that one I linked above should take care of everything for you though. If I'm understanding correctly, that is...if not, throw me one more bone and I'll take another shot at it (tomorrow) :)

z10m said:
Checked it with digital multimeter and with fully charged battery it was reading 12.5V
REALLY!?!? Wow, that is very interesting. The next time I fire up my Phantom I'll measure mine as well, just so we can get a consensus.

Thanks for that report :!:

Dear OI Photography,

OI Photography said:
Okay, I think I've got it straight in my head now lol. As long as your equipment list is the same as in that other thread, this is the cable that will connect the port on the mainboard to the iOSD mini and your boscam tx: http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/Video-Cable- ... xtech.html
If I've said it once, I'll say it another thousand times. YOU ARE THE F'ING MAN :!: :!: :!:
I just ordered one of those. It doesn't look too pretty, but at this point, I don't even care. I haven't flown for over two weeks now and I'm starting to go through withdrawals!

OI Photography said:
I'll confirm what z10m found about the power on that lead, puts out 12v (that's what most common FPV tx's need). Other than that, your listing of each of the pins is right on the money.
NICE!

OI Photography said:
Since I don't know diddly-squat about the P2V/P2V+ camera setups I'm not at all sure what the 2-strand grey cable you originally had in that port was for...
If I had to guess (mine is completely disassembled now, so I no longer have a frame of reference), I'd say the circuit flow was probably something like this:
P2V+ Camera Video --> P2V+ Gimbal --> Gimbal Data Port --> Grey Ribbon Cable --> Landing Gear Hole --> Pins 1 & 2 of Cam Port --> Main Board Foil Runs --> Wi-Fi Transceiver --> 2.4GHz Wi-Fi RF <--> The Air <--> Wi-Fi Repeater <--> The Air <--> Your Android or iDevice <--> Your Eyeballs :mrgreen:

OI Photography said:
that one I linked above should take care of everything for you though. If I'm understanding correctly, that is...if not, throw me one more bone and I'll take another shot at it (tomorrow) :)
Based on what I read there at the site you linked above, that cable SHOULD work perfectly! (and as an added bonus, NO SOLDERING REQUIRED!)

:!: :!: :!: Three cheers for OI Photography :!: :!: :!:

ATC Drone Flyer said:
REALLY!?!? Wow, that is very interesting. The next time I fire up my Phantom I'll measure mine as well, just so we can get a consensus.

I don't know what your problem is man. Every time you reply to my post with sarcasm.
I'm just trying to help you know.?

And about your missing cable if you would be smart enough you would connect power to your transmitter from anywhere else.
The two cables you have there is all you really need...

z10m said:
I don't know what your problem is man. Every time you reply to my post with sarcasm.
I'm just trying to help you know.?
My apologies sir, but I think you are either. . .
a.) Misinterpreting my tone, or
b.) Reading something in to my words that isn't there

Either way, I feel as though you mistaking ENTHUSIASM for SARCASM. . . Lighten up!

P.S.: I do appreciate your feedback!

z10m said:
. . .if you would be smart enough. . .
P.P.S: Now who's being nasty? :mrgreen:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic