Wow! Phantom 3 range is 3.2 miles (5.2km)!

Reaction score
Check out this video where HeliPal sees how far a Phantom 3 can go. Turns out, a lot farther than 1.2 miles. Even at 3.2 miles out the signal is still perfect.

Attachments

• Screenshot of Google Chrome (5-2-15, 6:03:18 AM).jpg
    Screenshot of Google Chrome (5-2-15, 6:03:18 AM).jpg
    609.2 KB · Views: 1,760
Saw that and he was so lucky to get it back 1% battery left .
Very impressive distance with full video feed .
Makes me want to order one now but ill give it a few weeks and see what distances the european models do , not that i would be bothered if it was half this distance .

Obviously, if he would have taken control back, he would have landed with more battery. I wonder if there is a way to adjust RTH speed?

I wonder if there is a way to adjust RTH speed?
Just throw it into atti and zoom away.

This is a good illustration of why you should always fly upwind when going for distance ... that way it's faster/easier coming home which is definitely much better than the alternative.

19-20 m/s going out and 7 m/s coming home.
The difference 12 m/s = 27 mph.
Contrary to what the pilot thought, the upwind conditions are only responsible for a very small component of this.
The major factor is not wind but it's DJI's mysterious policy of making RTH considerably slower than normal flight.
If it had been blowing anything like 27 mph, you'd see wind waves everywhere on the water and many whitecaps.

This was a good spot for range testing ... but it would be goodbye Phantom if a recovery was required.

Last edited:
Just throw it into atti and zoom away.

This is a good illustration of why you should always fly upwind when going for distance ... that way it's faster/easier coming home which is definitely much better than the alternative.

19-20 m/s going out and 7 m/s coming home.
The difference 12 m/s = 27 mph.
Contrary to what the pilot thought, the upwind conditions are only responsible for a very small component of this.
The major factor is not wind but it's DJI's mysterious policy of making RTH considerably slower than normal flight.
If it had been blowing anything like 27 mph, you'd see wind waves everywhere on the water and many whitecaps.

This was a good spot for range testing ... but it would be goodbye Phantom if a recovery was required.
Could think of better places to range test as you pointed out .A little planning first then at least you could recover the quad if you run out of battery.

Helipad is a brave soul. I will never dream of doing that with my new bird.
longest distance is always with open water.
Wonder any tests are available with other terrains.

How does anyone get over 2 miles . I have a p3a and only get 1/2 a mile?
Same here. I am lucky if I get that. I use a windsurfer and get get almost a mile in the right conditions. But nowhere near the 3 miles advertised stock. I think the last update did something to the range, because it definitely reduced it somehow.
Side note, this is odd, but when i use my Android tablet, a Nvidia K1, I get a much farther range than with the ipad mini 4. About 2000 feet more. I tested this again yesterday, and sure enough, for some reason the K1 lets me fly farther than the ipad. same settings on both. Wifi off on both.

I have a P3A and got 3.25 miles or 17200ft I could share it if you'd like!!Landed w/7%left That's as far as I go without a battery mod and being where Im at..

Altitude is increased to get over the mountain,as I come to them I increase!!

Same here. I am lucky if I get that. I use a windsurfer and get get almost a mile in the right conditions. But nowhere near the 3 miles advertised stock. I think the last update did something to the range, because it definitely reduced it somehow.
Side note, this is odd, but when i use my Android tablet, a Nvidia K1, I get a much farther range than with the ipad mini 4. About 2000 feet more. I tested this again yesterday, and sure enough, for some reason the K1 lets me fly farther than the ipad. same settings on both. Wifi off on both.
HW, that's very curious! 2000' is a significant delta between devices. You'd have to think it's a RFI issue. Do you turn the radios off on the tablets, or just disable the WiFi? I'm asking since BT uses the same 2.4GHz band.

HW, that's very curious! 2000' is a significant delta between devices. You'd have to think it's a RFI issue. Do you turn the radios off on the tablets, or just disable the WiFi? I'm asking since BT uses the same 2.4GHz band.
Yes, I have Bluetooth disabled and wifi off while flying.

Saw that and he was so lucky to get it back 1% battery left .
Very impressive distance with full video feed .
Makes me want to order one now but ill give it a few weeks and see what distances the european models do , not that i would be bothered if it was half this distance .
More than 2km (at 200 meters altitude) in an open rural area is my limit wih my out-of-the-box European P3A - I was starting to lose the video feed there so I flew home.

//Tom

I reached 2.68 miles yesterday totally standard. RTH kicked in and I landed with 30% battery. No loss of signal could easily have gone further.
I have never updated running ancient firmware. Range used to be 10,000 feet or 1.68 miles max but swapped my controller for a 300B. I think the transmitters must vary a bit.

Done 4.5km each way completely stock set up, could have gone further but wanted a margin of safety on battery for return.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20