Wow! Phantom 3 range is 3.2 miles (5.2km)!

Check out this video where HeliPal sees how far a Phantom 3 can go. Turns out, a lot farther than 1.2 miles. Even at 3.2 miles out the signal is still perfect.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I don't understand how people are getting this kind of range with the p3p w/o mods. I've had mine now for 3-4 months and the farthest it's been able to go is just over a mile, with superb vis and no interference. It always starts cutting out around 4200 feet away and goes dark around 51-5200ft.

Have a look at your antenna positioning, both should be parallel and the long side pointing at the drone (NOT the tip)

How does anyone get over 2 miles . I have a p3a and only get 1/2 a mile?
92f26b6126b6b470bac44c672f3b687d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Have a look at your antenna positioning, both should be parallel and the long side pointing at the drone (NOT the tip)

Check out this video where HeliPal sees how far a Phantom 3 can go. Turns out, a lot farther than 1.2 miles. Even at 3.2 miles out the signal is still perfect.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Do yourself a favor...and if you have not updated your firmware...then make sure you never do...because many of the people that had great distance reports upgrade and to their dismay lose that distance after the firmware update....can you tell me what version of firmware you have on the AC and the RC?

I flew today with the new GO app firmware. 8.0.2, or something like that. I got farther than I have ever have in my dozen or so flights.
Side note, I was getting great video of a horse ranch, mountains etc. I got home and popped the SD card into my computer...I forgot to hit record on the app...**** it!

Do yourself a favor...and if you have not updated your firmware...then make sure you never do...because many of the people that had great distance reports upgrade and to their dismay lose that distance after the firmware update....can you tell me what version of firmware you have on the AC and the RC?

Thats is not true.

I have the latest firmware and can fly as far as I ever had.

Aerial direction is very important as is the angle to get the range.

image.jpeg
I don't understand how people are getting this kind of range with the p3p w/o mods. I've had mine now for 3-4 months and the farthest it's been able to go is just over a mile, with superb vis and no interference. It always starts cutting out around 4200 feet away and goes dark around 51-5200ft.
43,000 feet today not my best 1.8 firm ware.i use this set up!

UK 4.2km - P3A - Totally stock - Latest 1.9.6 firmware

Same here. I am lucky if I get that. I use a windsurfer and get get almost a mile in the right conditions. But nowhere near the 3 miles advertised stock. I think the last update did something to the range, because it definitely reduced it somehow.
Side note, this is odd, but when i use my Android tablet, a Nvidia K1, I get a much farther range than with the ipad mini 4. About 2000 feet more. I tested this again yesterday, and sure enough, for some reason the K1 lets me fly farther than the ipad. same settings on both. Wifi off on both.
I use a mini 4 with my P3A and have been out over 1200 meters with full strength on both the control and video. I would try farther, but that's pretty much the limit of the clear area where I was flying - and I'm chicken!

i also did 5 km two ways video and Rf was almost 100% all the way, and returned with enough battery to fly around for few more mins
i did use windsurfer booster

IMG_20160820_WA0007_1.jpg

I use a mini 4 with my P3A and have been out over 1200 meters with full strength on both the control and video. I would try farther, but that's pretty much the limit of the clear area where I was flying - and I'm chicken!

What a coincidence, we have the same problems. Clearance AND chicken!! I've been at about 6,000' out over the water without a problem but stopped because i would have been going back over land and buildings and most likely interference.

So you recommend having the two antennas at 3 and 9 o'clock respectively?

No, what he's saying is not to point them straight out with the tips pointing at the bird. The signal comes out of the flat parts so pretty much both straight up at 12 o'clock. I don't know if I'm explaining it correctly but it would be at a 90 degree angle at the connector as opposed to straight out.

What a coincidence, we have the same problems. Clearance AND chicken!! I've been at about 6,000' out over the water without a problem but stopped because i would have been going back over land and buildings and most likely interference.

No, what he's saying is not to point them straight out with the tips pointing at the bird. The signal comes out of the flat parts so pretty much both straight up at 12 o'clock. I don't know if I'm explaining it correctly but it would be at a 90 degree angle at the connector as opposed to straight out.

I would think 45 degrees is the best, but maybe an RF propagation guru can chime in and make recommendations.

I would think 45 degrees is the best, but maybe an RF propagation guru can chime in and make recommendations.

My first response was going to be "no way" then i thought about it. It really depends on how you hold the remote. This is usually how i use mine.
antennas-png.26096.png

What is the difference between a WIFI range extender and a RANGE extender? Becuase i would like to increase the max distance but i only get 1/2 mile. I am flying it over trees and stuff but will one of these after market parts help?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic