Would you say anything?

Better make sure you put your FAA number on your kids balloons. Make sure you fly them safely, stay away crowds and don't let them get away or they might exceed the 400' ceiling.

As I mentioned, I also fly some light GA too. I've seen quite a few of the helium birthday balloons up around the 2,000-3,000ft mark. I couldn't make out the FAA marking on them though ;)

I agree with that statement but that doesn't mean that an older child shouldn't be able to enjoy a Phantom with a parent under close supervision. I would say that starting the child on the smaller drones first is a smart move (and my son started on the Micro Drone 3 - and can fly that pretty well too). One aspect you have to judge is skill and maturity - and to a certain extent decision making...... and much of that is built on experience which you only get with handling time. By the way, the same can be said of anybody flying light aircraft - you technically get enough skill to pass an FAA test at 40-50h legally but your decision making (and handling skills) improves with hours accumulated.

Interestingly, I also had my oldest handle the flight controls of my Cessna 182 when he was 8 or so. He could do level flight, and some basic un-cordinated turns (mainly due to the fact that his legs couldn't reach the rudder pedals :) ). All was safely done at altitude and with my complete supervision..... but it was a nice introduction.

John
I have made a training manual with progressive drills for new pilots. I agree that flight time is a critical trainer. The saying is that it takes 1000 hours to become an expert on most anything. For example, I usually encourage new drone pilots to have at least 2-4 hours of flight time before going to the next step of photography.

So IF the father holds a 107 the Airport might not have been an issue (not sure where it is and what the sectional looks like). The issue may have only been the park "rules" and depending on how they are written, there may be some minutia that would allow it.

I would have approached and confirmed the 107 and proceeded educate as required. I feel we DO have an obligation, as Licensed Remote Pilots, to educate (especially Recreational Users).

Very elitist, what do you mean "especially Recreational Users". You're not special at all, get over yourself.
FIRST in my responses above (17, 19, 22) I do not see any wording such as you have quoted above. Please help me see what you are referring to. I will say that I have talked to several recreational users who have no idea about basic boundaries such as LOS (Line of Sight), no flying in filled stadiums and around crowds, and no flying above 400'.

Reactions: Panamedia
FIRST in my responses above (17, 19, 22) I do not see any wording such as you have quoted above. Please help me see what you are referring to. I will say that I have talked to several recreational users who have no idea about basic boundaries such as LOS (Line of Sight), no flying in filled stadiums and around crowds, and no flying above 400'.
Sorry my re-quote was incorrect, it had your handle Russ but was aimed at Paramecia's post. Apologies for that.

Last edited:
If I felt that it was enough of a danger to the public, I would pass the information on to the police or park ranger.

Strangers approaching me and my child in a public place and telling me what to do usually ends up with me telling the stranger what to do.

Unless you have a badge why would I take your word on anything?

I have removed a couple of post here... consider this the blanket warning for this thread.
Stay on topic, don't be rude and post relevant content. There is no need to belittle your fellow members.

Flex Guy : Back On Yopic.png

I understand the below tree line argument, but in this particular case I think it is still a danger to aircraft, considering a 6 year old will be at the controls and is likely to either want to or accidentally send it sky high at some point.
That is the part that concerned me... a 6 yo. flying the quad and not knowing what could happen IF something were to go wrong.

As I mentioned, I also fly some light GA too. I've seen quite a few of the helium birthday balloons up around the 2,000-3,000ft mark. I couldn't make out the FAA marking on them though ;)
That is when you shoot it down then! It might have a super delux camera with a 2000 mm lens that is watching your daughter in the backyard mowing the lawn!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl