The 60’s was a time of unrest.

Reaction score
I lived in the 60’s and the times now seem to have more unrest to me. Have others who lived as long as me feel the same? Also, is it the same in other countries?

Our politics seem more polarized. If if goes one way, it extreme. If it goes the other way it is extreme in the opposite way. Everyone seem to be fighting to get their agenda forced on people. People seem agitated and angry. I watch different news stations to try to get a balance on the news.

It hard to make en example with out getting people in an upset or argumentative way. We try to be fair, but we are polarized by our own human nature. I’ll try to show an example. There is a mountain near by called, Negro mountain which upset Obama. He said the word negro was offensive and tried to change the name unsuccessfully. (The man whom the mountain was named after had no name. He was a hero and they called him Negro, in the 1700’s. He gave his life to save others. It is a great story of a mighty man with a big heart). Obama was upset with the name Negro, yet there is the United Negro College Fund and National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. How about Miss Black America beauty contest. There is no Miss White America beauty contest, because it would be offensive to the blacks. What I’m talking about could be any group of people. I have black family members and I brought this up to them. They thought as I do about it.

Half of my family was indentured servants, to be able to come to this country. The other half of my family came here not too long ago. My grandfather that came from Croatia, had great respect for this country. He told my dad he was half a citizen, but my dad was a full citizen because he was born here. My grandfather knew his ways and accent made him different no matter how much he tried to conform to the American ways. He didn’t try to change America to his ways. You can’t please everybody. How can you let Muslins in Detroit impose their religious laws on America? How can Hispanics demand that we put signs and forms in Spanish? I actually had a Hispanic neighbor in Florida, that refused to speak English. The Hispanic community was so large, she could get away with it. So large, I was denied an employment opportunity because I didn’t speak Spanish. That in itself caused some people to put bumper stickers on their cars that said,”Welcome to America, now speak English.”

Yes, I’m rambling, because where is an answer. Even if man could try to come up with an answer, it would be a polarized answer that would be flawed. I feel we need to be less offended and just get on with things. If we keep wanting to dig up dirt from the past, how can we get on with the future? We all have problems that weigh on us and distorts on how we see things. I give up on man to have the answers. We are our worst problem. Tensions are building up like a volcano ready to pop. We are so fragile depending on the Internet, satellites that it would take little for massive chaos. Are things this way it is in other nations? What are your thoughts?

I'm Sorry friend I don't see how your post relates to DJI products or the flying of drones, it's just a political rant as far as I can see...

Did I miss something...
Waylander

I'm Sorry friend I don't see how your post relates to DJI products or the flying of drones, it's just a political rant as far as I can see...

Did I miss something...
Waylander
Is in off Topic Way so it's ok as long as it stays civil .

Did I miss something...
Waylander

No apology necessary, what you missed was the section of the forum that WV. Rootman posted his views in. If this isn't Off Topic of DJI products or drones I don't know what is. ;)

WV. Rootman, I only wish that I could disagree with you and tell you that your views are off target or bias. Unfortunately, this is not the case. I also survived the 60's and early 70's. Those were radical and quickly changing times. It seemed like there was always threats, rioting, assassinations and protests and our entire country was in upheaval. This was all results of political change, racial equality and attempts of stopping all the senseless deaths in Viet Nam and the young people wanting their voice to be heard. It took a long time after the war for our country to slowly heal and level out.
What we are experiencing now is just senseless to me. Terrorists, foreign and domestic, taking the lives of innocent victims, school shootings and the entire attitude of lives having no value. I am in Chicago and the gang violence here is well documented world wide. This very morning I was late getting to work because I-94, the main expressway going into the city, was shut down because of still another shooting investigation. These thugs have no regard for who they shoot or how many innocents are hit by their stray bullets. This has become so common place here that the Chicago Tribune newspaper runs a shooting and death toll like a box score in the sports section. Sick stuff and it is still another sign of the times.
I could go on and cite more examples but to answer your question, you are not alone in the way you feel. To me it feels like the fuse is lit, we are sitting on the bomb and it's just a matter of time. Not what I expected for our Golden years. For me the enjoyment I get flying and shooting videos is much needed distraction.

Joe

Reactions: BigAl07
Hi DragonFly Joe

You are correct, I missed the fact that the forum section was "Off Topic", in which WV Rootman posted, so my apologies,
I picked up on the post from the side bar "New Threads" the side bar does not list the "Section" in which a post refers.

So in the spirit of WV Rootman's post I offer this, I am Caucasian, but not American, nor do I live in the USA, but that does not mean that I don't understand the gist of the OP's thread, I do, and I sympathise with his view point.

Here in the UK, in certain parts of the country, there is and has been for years a degree of racial and ethnic intolerance, as I suspect there is throughout western Europe, I do not believe that there is or could be a politically contrived solution to this question, the root cause I believe is founded in mistrust and the misunderstanding that exists between cultures.

I also feel that instead of the world becoming a more integrated society, ( that momentum from the sixties and seventies has stalled ) nations are adopting a more isolationist stand point, and that is a politically and economically driven movement adopted by the various governments of the world. Regardless of what the man in the street feels, we are swept along by the nationalistic tide, and the inevitable out come is ethnic polarisation.

So there is my two cents.....:)

Waylander

Thanks for your two cents Waylander. I sincerely appreciate hearing an opinion from another part of the world (it's also part of the reason I like this forum -- people from all over). I agree, that a major portion of the problem is mistrusts between the cultures, some founded and a lot that's not. There are few of us that haven't developed prejudices of some type or another from experiences in life and I feel this helps contribute to the problem.

Your statement, "l also feel that instead of the world becoming a more integrated society, ( that momentum from the sixties and seventies has stalled ) nations are adopting a more isolationist stand point, and that is a politically and economically driven movement adopted by the various governments of the world. Regardless of what the man in the street feels, we are swept along by the nationalistic tide, and the inevitable out come is ethnic polarization." is not only eloquently put, but IMO, spot on. I also feel that the current leadership in the US has not only pitted our own citizens against each other but has alienated other countries even further.

I wish I had the solution but sadly I don't. America has always been known as the melting pot where all nationalities can blend to form one nation. However, I agree with WV. Rootman. We cannot continue to keep letting people into the country that have no intentions of "melting" in and instead want their countries beliefs and laws to apply here, the same countries laws and beliefs that they are escaping from. There are thousands in the Honduran caravan that are marching to the US and plan on coming into the country. They are not coming through immigration or legally, just plan on crashing through the border while waving their country's flag. To me, that is not immigration it is an invasion. Again, what is a non violent solution, I simply don't know. Troubled times indeed. My mother who is approaching 90 remarks that she is glad that she won't have to live to see what is going to happen to this world. I can understand where she's coming from. My concern is not for our generation but rather our grandchildren's. I am now stepping off my soapbox, :D

DragonFly Joe

I understand and agree with the sentiments expressed in you last paragraph, here in Europe we also have mass illegal immigration occurring, tens of thousands of peoples from Sub Saharan African and Syria are or have attempted entry into Europe.

Often risking death at sea in flimsy overcrowded and unsuitable boats, ( rubber dingy's in some instances ), the majority claim political asylum, or refugee status, but in reality they are economic migrants.

The governments of western Europe, with their liberal ideology do not know what to do, "we must help these people, they are fleeing war and injustice", was in the beginning their rally cry, but eventually after receiving many thousands ( mostly young men under the age of 25 ), it has dawned on them that the motivation of the migrants was economical.

I do not blame them Africa and Syria are plagued by seemingly insurmountable troubles, the problem is the cultural and religious differences present in the many of the migrants, makes it difficult to integrate into western culture, so they end up in camps and ghettos. But the other thing that these Liberal European governments failed to consider was the impact on Social services.
Because of general population expansion in Europe, especially here in the UK, our medical services can not cope, we do not have enough social housing, and when people are willing to work for substantially less than the national minimum wage, jobs too are effected.

Sorry I could rant on for pages....

Good discussion thought, again my apologies for missing the point regarding "Off Topic" at the beginning of this thread, I too will step off the Soapbox.

Waylander

When traveling to Rome it is not the Italians you have to watch out for in being picked pocket. It is the emigrants. They have become a plague to the Italian nation. I visited an Italian friend there and the streets were dark. He said, ( and they have a derogatory term for the emigrants) they stole the copper power lines. This is the second time they have done this. They position themselves next to you on public transportation to to steal from you. It's an unusual thing on how they come and stand beside you for no reason. They really like Americans I guess. I stare at them till they decide it is better to stand elsewhere. They are constantly harassing you in the squares and wrap up everything and leave when the police come around. Yes, it is definitely economical reasons. It's better pickings in a tourist area then back in the area from where they come.
Now here is my different slant to the subject. I believe the people of the nation deserve the government they get in general. There are always people that are victims. So if the people don't like what's happening in their government and they don't stand up. They go to another country and the same thing will happen to that government.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic