Old guy didn't like my drone

Reaction score
Went flying my drone in Dana Point CA at a viewpoint. And 20 minutes later another guy with a drone showed up and we flew at the same time. He showed me this foil can looking thing you put on your antenna to boost your range.

And later in our flight, some old guy drives to us and says to the other drone operator that there is a city ordinance against flying drones and suggest to stop flying. But this is like Dana Point CA, it's not near any airports and it's not in a circle of the no fly zone list. He just seemed like an old cranky man who hated drones.

But the thing is he talked to the other guy who packed up his drone and wasn't holding a controller. I was the only one with a controller flying and he didn't say anything to me. So I have no idea why he didn't say anything to me. But whatever, I don't think there is any city ordinance for drones, the guy told me the FAA controls all the rules, not cities.

maybe didn't want to get you mad at him and you give him a drone enema.
Or he was a ham operator and the other drone was bleeding over his radio reception with the mod.

I think some people are intimidated by drones just as they are by any new technology. The best thing to do is invite them to come take a closer look and check it out and see you are flying it for the pleasure / hobby rather than spying on people. We can help people accept this hobby. By the way, I am 59 years old.

While no one but the FAA controls the AIR a city/county etc can dictate whether you can take off/land from their property.

Reactions: 7200rpm
I think some people are intimidated by drones just as they are by any new technology. The best thing to do is invite them to come take a closer look and check it out and see you are flying it for the pleasure / hobby rather than spying on people. We can help people accept this hobby. By the way, I am 59 years old.

Maybe this guy was like 70-80 yrs old, he seemed very old school. Saying stuff like young man or young fella.

But there was another old guy who thought it was cool, he asked a bunch of questions. I always get people asking me a ton of questions about the drone or saying it's cool. Or they just watch it.

Most people generally are fascinated by the drone. Only a few people who have something negative to say are disgruntled people who hate cool things.

Last edited:
Reactions: yorlik
If he didn't see anyone with a controller he probably wouldn't even have know the drones were flying. Even if he did see the drones there is nobody to talk to if he can't see the operator. I always try and fly from an inconspicuous spot, I won't stand at a lookout if there is another spot 10m away. The only time they know where you are is if they see you landing and then if they want to have a go you have both hands free and no distraction of flying.

Sounds like my neighbor who used to move my garbage can to the middle of my driveway if I didn't get it back up to the house by mid-day. When I get home from work at 5 there it is in the middle of the driveway. Some people have nothing better to do than grumble. I take as a personal challenge to try to win them over. Not that I always succeed.

Reactions: NewMexicoFlyer

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic