Worst customer service ever!

@Spappy I looked at this .DAT. Contrary to DJI's findings the most that can be said is that there was a loss of propulsion on the rightFront. It can't be concluded that the cause was a missing or broken prop. Since this is a P3 Standard there is no motorSpeed or motorCurrent which would be required to determine if the rightFront prop was missing or broken.

My analysis was based on the same data that DJ looked which can be seen on this DJI Forum post.
Worst customer service ever
IMHO the DJI analyst either knew, or should have known, that the data could not support the conclusion that the incident was caused by a broken or missing prop. All that can really be seen is that the rightFront motor was commanded 100% which would happen if either the prop broke, was missing, or there was an ESC failure.
upload_2017-10-24_5-58-18.png

You might want to take a look at this incident involving a P3 Standard. I believe there is a movie in the first post of the thread corroborating that the incident was caused by the ESC failure not a missing or broken prop.

Standard - My first drone failure today.. Help!?!

Have you attempted to start the motors since the incident?

Last edited:
Reactions: Spappy and BigAl07
OK, now I'll need the Dropbox link so that I can retrieve it from Dropbox.

Yes I have, and they seemed to work normally.
@Spappy I looked at this .DAT. Contrary to DJI's findings the most that can be said is that there was a loss of propulsion on the rightFront. It can't be concluded that the cause was a missing or broken prop. Since this is a P3 Standard there is no motorSpeed or motorCurrent which would be required to determine if the rightFront prop was missing or broken.

My analysis was based on the same data that DJ looked which can be seen on this DJI Forum post.
IMHO the DJI analyst either knew, or should have known, that the data could not support the conclusion that the incident was caused by a broken or missing prop. All that can really be seen is that the rightFront motor was commanded 100% which would happen if either the prop broke, was missing, or there was an ESC failure.
View attachment 89886

You might want to take a look at this incident involving a P3 Standard. I believe there is a movie in the first post of the thread corroborating that the incident was caused by the ESC failure not a missing or broken prop.

View attachment 89886

The post you are referring to on the DJI forum entitled "Worst Customer Service Ever" is mine too concerning this same issue.

The post you are referring to on the DJI forum entitled "Worst Customer Service Ever" is mine too concerning this same issue.
I know. I followed your name over there. That's how I knew it was FLY271.DAT.

Reactions: Spappy
@BudWalker,
Does the .dat file have all data that is available, the flight log from mobile device wouldn't have anything to add?

@Spappy,
I don't see any talk of what were the condition of the props.

How much is the bill from DJI? ;)

Rod

@BudWalker,
Does the .dat file have all data that is available, the flight log from mobile device wouldn't have anything to add?

@Spappy,

Rod
The .DAT on the AC probably has all the data there is. But, CsvView/DatCon isn't smart enough to extract all of the .DAT data.

The .txt has less data than the AC .DAT but, depending on the .txt-to-.csv converter, can potentially yield info that CsvView/DatCon doesn't know about. E.g., gimbal orientation. The most comprehensive .txt-to-.csv converter is TXTlogtoCSVtool which is used by CsvView internally. Depending on the incident it's sometimes better use either the .txt, the .DAT or both.This particular incident requires the .DAT

About 6 months ago DJI added the .DAT on the tablet which is a subset of the AC .DAT. This has limited usage because it has a lower sampling rate. And, it often times has gaps because the data has to be transmitted to the RC and then forwarded to the tablet for recording.

Reactions: RodPad
Its good I didn't come here before purchasing a P3S AND a Spark! After reading this post alone it would have steered me anywhere but to dji. Sheesh. I'd say screw dji and their extended repair solutions... go to State Farm and insure your uav for its full value. Such a policy only ran me $30/year to cover $750 in value, for *anything* that may happen, including fly-aways, equipment failure/malfunction, even pilot stupidity (which i try to avoid). For $30, its a no-brainer, and way cheaper than dji's extended screwing or even a 2 year extension from walmart (about $48, and picky as to what it actually covers). Can't beat an actual insurance policy imho.

Bottom line, I'm literally having a hard time wrapping my head around the condition in which your AC was returned to you. DaYum, that's some lazy-assed "customer service". Here's a thought... feed your dog (or borrow one if you have to) the nastiest, greasiest, cheapest mexican food you can find... collect a "sample", and send *that* back to dji, along with a note explaining "this is what my expensive uav turned into after 2 trips to dji warranty repair land". Be sure and include a fist full of screws mixed in there. Then again, I doubt they'd "get it" to start with. Still fun to contemplate though.

Good grief dji...

@BudWalker,

@Spappy,

Rod
The props are fine, a little dirty, but perfectly intact. I can post pictures later when I get home.
The bill for the first time was $150 or $160, and the bill was $70 for the 2nd go around.
I don't have a problem paying the bill, once we have established what the real cause was. I'm not taking the blame for something that I didn't do, especially when their analysis was wrong in the 1st place.

Its good I didn't come here before purchasing a P3S AND a Spark! After reading this post alone it would have steered me anywhere but to dji. Sheesh. I'd say screw dji and their extended repair solutions... go to State Farm and insure your uav for its full value. Such a policy only ran me $30/year to cover $750 in value, for *anything* that may happen, including fly-aways, equipment failure/malfunction, even pilot stupidity (which i try to avoid). For $30, its a no-brainer, and way cheaper than dji's extended screwing or even a 2 year extension from walmart (about $48, and picky as to what it actually covers). Can't beat an actual insurance policy imho.

Bottom line, I'm literally having a hard time wrapping my head around the condition in which your AC was returned to you. DaYum, that's some lazy-assed "customer service". Here's a thought... feed your dog (or borrow one if you have to) the nastiest, greasiest, cheapest mexican food you can find... collect a "sample", and send *that* back to dji, along with a note explaining "this is what my expensive uav turned into after 2 trips to dji warranty repair land". Be sure and include a fist full of screws mixed in there. Then again, I doubt they'd "get it" to start with. Still fun to contemplate though.

Good grief dji...
I like the way you think!
[emoji13]

Good grief dji...
This is the best policy IMO insure your drone and avoid the headache of dealing with DJI. I insured Both of my Drones for $65 a year covers both at full value

Reactions: Spappy
The props are fine, a little dirty, but perfectly intact. I can post pictures later when I get home.
The bill for the first time was $150 or $160, and the bill was $70 for the 2nd go around.
I don't have a problem paying the bill, once we have established what the real cause was. I'm not taking the blame for something that I didn't do, especially when their analysis was wrong in the 1st place.

Attachments

• 18699717_10209723086659316_6956825314002716424_o.jpg
    18699717_10209723086659316_6956825314002716424_o.jpg
    504.4 KB · Views: 282

I've had the bird back for a couple weeks now, but I've been way too busy to test it out. I finally got a chance to take it up a couple times today, and everything seems to be working as it should. THANKS DJI!!!
I was surprised when I got it back that it already had an SD card in the camera (mine was ejected in the crash, so I thought I was going to have to replace it), and it had all the videos on it I had recorded the day of the crash! This is the last one it recorded, hence, the fateful crash...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tpren3