With P4P out, Mavic is dead

Reaction score
Yes, the P4P specs rock don't they? I'm sure the Mavic will cease to exist and be cancelled, now that the P4P totally makes it old news and irrelevant.

I'm just kidding of course, I'll likely buy one after Christmas. But I recall everyone so sure of themselves that Phantom will cease to exist. Pretty funny, so I had to tease them a little. Is that allowed here? :D

What's also funny is many of the P4P buyers ordering today will be getting their craft before buyers of the Mavic that placed their orders last month, getting P4P weeks before. I chalk this up to timing. DJI announced too early to compete with a "now dead" Karma. Some Mavic buyers are sorry they ordered a Mavic and wish they hadn't jumped the gun, wishing they bought the better camera in the P4P.

I hope the first guys that get their P4P do a range test. I'm very interested to see how close to 4mi the craft will actually fly. If reports come back supporting this distance I'll immediately buy one. I'm skeptical of DJI on RC transmitters. They have a pattern of detuning their RCs for some reason, a reason that I'd sure like to understand because it make no sense to detune things when not they are now boasting about 4+ miles when before they detuned the P4 RC to crap out at 1mi. My P3P can go 2-3miles. Sorry for the attitude, but it makes no sense to detune the P4 like they did. Maybe they have changed their trend with P4P and Mavic. I sure hope so.

Yes, the P4P specs rock don't they? I'm sure the Mavic will cease to exist and be cancelled, now that the P4P totally makes it old news and irrelevant.

I'm just kidding of course, I'll likely buy one after Christmas. But I recall everyone so sure of themselves that Phantom will cease to exist. Pretty funny, so I had to tease them a little. Is that allowed here? :D

What's also funny is many of the P4P buyers ordering today will be getting their craft before buyers of the Mavic that placed their orders last month, getting P4P weeks before. I chalk this up to timing. DJI announced too early to compete with a "now dead" Karma. Some Mavic buyers are sorry they ordered a Mavic and wish they hadn't jumped the gun, wishing they bought the better camera in the P4P.

I hope the first guys that get their P4P do a range test. I'm very interested to see how close to 4mi the craft will actually fly. If reports come back supporting this distance I'll immediately buy one. I'm skeptical of DJI on RC transmitters. They have a pattern of detuning their RCs for some reason, a reason that I'd sure like to understand because it make no sense to detune things when not they are now boasting about 4+ miles when before they detuned the P4 RC to crap out at 1mi. My P3P can go 2-3miles. Sorry for the attitude, but it makes no sense to detune the P4 like they did. Maybe they have changed their trend with P4P and Mavic. I sure hope so.
That's another reason why I don't buy these things when they first come out. I didn't buy the P4 standard because I didn't like the way it looked, same boring platform despite its advances. Now there is a P4P, but after seeing the soon to be release of the Inspire 2 all bets are off. Now that is a cool looking drone that blows the Phantom series out of the water!

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
I was one of the dudes that got ridiculed and taunted :p I saw the FCC filing two months ago and kept it hush. I have been saving for the P4P since I knew it would be coming, and I bought it the second the page went live :) the Mavic is just too finicky for me, it seems like a toy.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: morph1
I was one of the dudes that got ridiculed and taunted :p I saw the FCC filing two months ago and kept it hush. I have been saving for the P4P since I knew it would be coming, and I bought it the second the page went live :) the Mavic is just too finicky for me, it seems like a toy.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Kept it hush why?

Because I didn't want to wait 8 years to get my P4P when all the Mavic fanboys jumped on it? :p
Seems there are plenty to go around. I share the suspicions of other posters that the Mavic release was seemingly rushed to counter GoPro's attempt to enter the market. The P4P and IMHO, Inspire 2 more so, have benefited from the luxury of a more sensible development period. I'm sitting back to see the real world user experience though.

Reactions: morph1
It's sheer genius, really. Three different products, built on the same R&D, but with 3 different audiences. And some folks will buy all three.
I'm not cancelling my Mavic, but I have already ordered the P4P+. There goes Christmas...:)

Reactions: Squirrel!
Have the Mavic... Love the Mavic! Have owned every Phantom since the Vision+, except the P4 as that had no real camera upgrade.

Mavic is for those people who need portability, that's why I bought it. When you're hauling around camera equipment through hiking trails, on bike or motorbike, less gear is best. I'm a long time amateur photographer and the Mavic produces a better image than one would think for the size. Trim function is a photographers dream. I now take it everywhere with me.

I've preordered the P4P not just for the stunning 20 Mpixel camera with improved dynamic range but more for the 5 sensors. I'm usually filming in areas with objects all around and it is super difficult to shoot forward and fly backwards. The P4P can do this while avoiding objects which is exactly what I need. I've been using a Typhoon H for this but the Typhoon is like the Inspire in that it's not very portable.

To sum up... LOVE the Mavic (it is my goto drone for everyday use), and looking forward to the P4P for those amazing shots.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using PhantomPilots mobile app

It's a different product for different people. Being able to carry around a mavic is the most appealing to me.
smiley.gif
smiley.gif
225.jpg

This is all hilarious.

A few weeks ago the Phantom's were 'dead' because of the Mavic.

Well, we know now that was wrong and I suspect this 'prediction' is as well.

Reactions: Falcon900
Seems there are plenty to go around. I share the suspicions of other posters that the Mavic release was seemingly rushed to counter GoPro's attempt to enter the market. The P4P and IMHO, Inspire 2 more so, have benefited from the luxury of a more sensible development period. I'm sitting back to see the real world user experience though.

It feels rushed for sure. I think if you keep an eye out for the goggle's (pun intended) official launch date then you would get the rough idea of when the mavic was supposedly meant to be released. If i'm not wrong, I think the P4Pro has been launched as plan and the Mavic was meant to be released with the P5.

People must either have good eyes or not care at all about those pesky FAA, AMA or even common sense regulations. Of course, Litchi would do longer flights anyway.

DJI might "detune" for various reason....one of them to at least attempt to reign in rogue operators. I've been running these machines for years yet never had to take a picture of something miles away.

Sure, if you own 50,000 acres in Texas and need to inspect fence lines...well, you could use Litchi, etc. for that anyway, but at least that person might claim they would like miles of range.

My guess is that even if it flies 1 miles in real world applications....that will satisfy most of the potential buyers. After all, flying further than that means your camera is no longer "with you".

My gut feeling (and I have a pre-release P4P and a regular Mavic) is that the Mavic has better range. But I'm not gonna test the P4P irresponsibly and I can't see 4 miles. Maybe someone will do it in the desert.

People must either have good eyes or not care at all about those pesky FAA, AMA or even common sense regulations. Of course, Litchi would do longer flights anyway.

DJI might "detune" for various reason....one of them to at least attempt to reign in rogue operators. I've been running these machines for years yet never had to take a picture of something miles away.

Sure, if you own 50,000 acres in Texas and need to inspect fence lines...well, you could use Litchi, etc. for that anyway, but at least that person might claim they would like miles of range.

My guess is that even if it flies 1 miles in real world applications....that will satisfy most of the potential buyers. After all, flying further than that means your camera is no longer "with you".

My gut feeling (and I have a pre-release P4P and a regular Mavic) is that the Mavic has better range. But I'm not gonna test the P4P irresponsibly and I can't see 4 miles. Maybe someone will do it in the desert.
1 mile is totally inadequate. I'd never by any drone that only goes 1 mile, that's mice-nuts for today's technology. Most all of my flights are over a mile away, and a good portion are over 2miles away, because I can.

If detuning the RC is DJI's "attempt to reign in rogue operators", why are they now touting 4.3mi range in the Mavic and P4P? This is over mile farther than past Phantoms? Makes absolutely no sense.

1 mile is totally inadequate. I'd never by any drone that only goes 1 mile, that's mice-nuts for today's technology.

If I could fly one that only went a mile away.... but could penetrate through buildings, trees and mountains without loss of control I'd buy one. That would make FPV incredible...

Distance is great, but better penetration (with adequate distance) is better in my book :)

Reactions: AlexSP
If I could fly one that only went a mile away.... but could penetrate through buildings, trees and mountains without loss of control I'd buy one. That would make FPV incredible...

Distance is great, but better penetration (with adequate distance) is better in my book :)
Not likely on 2.4 Ghz, and even worse on 5.8 Ghz. A lower frequency would have better penetration but I doubt we'll ever see that, don't think there are any worldwide allocations available with sufficient bandwidth.

Not likely on 2.4 Ghz, and even worse on 5.8 Ghz. A lower frequency would have better penetration but I doubt we'll ever see that, don't think there are any worldwide allocations available with sufficient bandwidth.
Yep, still waiting till DJI launches her own sattelite;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic