With P4P out, Mavic is dead

I have a P3P and ordered a Mavic for portability. Will I buy a P4P? Nope. I'm going to wait because we should all know by now that the better camera and extra sensors will be added to the next version of the Mavic. The Phantom form factor just doesn't work for me. Every time I go out, I ask myself, do I take the Phantom or my camera gear?, because I can't bring both. With the Mavic, I'll be able to bring both everywhere I go. To each their own though.

I'll be curious to see how well the P4P does in sales and whether or not others will simply wait for the new tech to be available in the smaller form factor.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Reactions: CaptainDrone798
I have a P3P and ordered a Mavic for portability. Will I buy a P4P? Nope. I'm going to wait because we should all know by now that the better camera and extra sensors will be added to the next version of the Mavic. The Phantom form factor just doesn't work for me. Every time I go out, I ask myself, do I take the Phantom or my camera gear?, because I can't bring both. With the Mavic, I'll be able to bring both everywhere I go. To each their own though.

I'll be curious to see how well the P4P does in sales and whether or not others will simply wait for the new tech to be available in the smaller form factor.

Time will tell, but I doubt it. People were mislead by the overlap Mavic vs P4 due to the Mavic's premature release, but I think it's apparent that there will always be a distinction between Mavic and Phantom. The Mavic's big selling point is portability, the Phantom's is camera quality. It would be silly for DJI to let the Mavic encroach on the Phantom.

Were you one of those people that predicted that the Phantom line would die with the Phantom 4? Killed by Mavic?

Last edited:

There will always be something better. Watch, the next Mavic will come out with the pros camera, but then right after the phantom5 will come out with something that will blow us away, like laser beams or 5k camera lol. It never ends. Just enjoy what you have or else you'll b waiting forever.

Time will tell, but I doubt it. People were mislead by the overlap Mavic vs P4 due to the Mavic's premature release, but I think it's apparent that there will always be a distinction between Mavic and Phantom. The Mavic's big selling point is portability, the Phantom's is camera quality. It would be silly for DJI to let the Mavic encroach on the Phantom.

Were you one of those people that predicted that the Phantom line would die with the Phantom 4?
I was not one of those people, but I do remember when the Phantom first came out with the same camera as the Inspire. The natural progression of technology is that everything gets smaller over time. It's sort of like the smaller drones are getting the larger drones' hand-me-downs'. In any case, people will buy the tool that's right for the job.

Yes, the P4P specs rock don't they? I'm sure the Mavic will cease to exist and be cancelled, now that the P4P totally makes it old news and irrelevant.

I'm just kidding of course, I'll likely buy one after Christmas. But I recall everyone so sure of themselves that Phantom will cease to exist. Pretty funny, so I had to tease them a little. Is that allowed here? :D

What's also funny is many of the P4P buyers ordering today will be getting their craft before buyers of the Mavic that placed their orders last month, getting P4P weeks before. I chalk this up to timing. DJI announced too early to compete with a "now dead" Karma. Some Mavic buyers are sorry they ordered a Mavic and wish they hadn't jumped the gun, wishing they bought the better camera in the P4P.

I hope the first guys that get their P4P do a range test. I'm very interested to see how close to 4mi the craft will actually fly. If reports come back supporting this distance I'll immediately buy one. I'm skeptical of DJI on RC transmitters. They have a pattern of detuning their RCs for some reason, a reason that I'd sure like to understand because it make no sense to detune things when not they are now boasting about 4+ miles when before they detuned the P4 RC to crap out at 1mi. My P3P can go 2-3miles. Sorry for the attitude, but it makes no sense to detune the P4 like they did. Maybe they have changed their trend with P4P and Mavic. I sure hope so.

I doubt, I looked into the P4Pro, it is well above budget for a lot people, $1800.oo with the remote with the display! A lot of people will not be able to afford it and will settle for the mavic when they ever get the bugs out of it!!

IMO the P4P launch and delivery is less troubled simply because the P4 platform already exist and is well developed, whereas the Mavic is an entirely new concept, designed and built from ground up - AC and Tx.

The Mavic is for portability, and that quality should not be underestimated: as one who dismissed the I1Pro for being a real pain to carry around, assemble and fly (it still scary ppl around me a lot more than the more common Phantom...), I'm sure I'll love the size and ease of the smaller drone.

The P4P is for higher quality photo and film jobs, but IMO the Phantom line is still a bit too big to have with me most times. I hate to turn every flight into a "happening", drawing ppl and attention and questions and looks. The Mavic should be a lot better in that sense too, stealthier, thus more flights in more places.

Even though the image is not up to P4P or I2, and may need more post production too, it's still good enough for the most jobs I get. At least for the time being, maybe that changes in the future with the spread of 4K TVs and monitors. And for pro demands (higher codec, resolution, etc.) I can always hire higher payload aircrafts too.
True. I as well find the Phantom series to be a bit too large for portability, unless of course you only fly in areas where you can drive to. For hiking, the Phantom is too large because you're already carrying gear. This is where the Mavic is a bonus.

P4P will have a great video image and outstanding still image which can be used in such applications that the Inspire is used for. The Mavic Pro is more like a high end cell phone camera and is more than adequate for YouTube, Vimeo, Vlogging uses.

DJI has knocked it out of the park with both of these platforms.

Sent from my SM-P550 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I doubt, I looked into the P4Pro, it is well above budget for a lot people, $1800.oo with the remote with the display! A lot of people will not be able to afford it and will settle for the mavic when they ever get the bugs out of it!!
"Whenever they get the bugs out of it"...I've been flying my MAVIC for over 2 weeks and haven't encountered any "bugs, nor have most over on the Mavic forum. The only "bug" was the shipping delays.

Why would the Mavic be dead? It's extremely portable and has features that tops the Phantom 4 and earlier versions.

If anything, the Phantom 4 is dead as can be.

Yes, the P4P specs rock don't they? I'm sure the Mavic will cease to exist and be cancelled, now that the P4P totally makes it old news and irrelevant.

I'm just kidding of course,

John I don't appreciate the click bait of your subject line.

--

Bill

Why would the Mavic be dead? It's extremely portable and has features that tops the Phantom 4 and earlier versions.

If anything, the Phantom 4 is dead as can be.
Did you actually read the OP?

Anyway, the Mavic's portability is the whole point. And comparing it to the Phantom 4 makes as much sense as comparing the Phantom 4 to the Phantom 2. The Phantom 4 Pro, the current Phantom, blows the Mavic away from a photography/video standpoint. Thus we see DJI's marketing concept...a portable drone with pretty good imaging, a less portable drone with excellent imaging, and a non-portable drone with professional-quality imaging. As to your point, I don't know why they'd keep the Phantom 4 in the lineup either. But I'm likewise puzzled as to why the Phantom 2 V+, the P3S and P3A are still available.

It's a different product for different people. Being able to carry around a mavic is the most appealing to me.
smiley.gif
smiley.gif
225.jpg
So true. I use crutches and leg braces. The P3P has been a load to haul, but no more. The Mav' opens paths previously too much to hike. DJI has opened new trails for me and other people with unique challenges. Thanks!

Reactions: aviscomi

I'm just kidding of course, I'll likely buy one after Christmas. But I recall everyone so sure of themselves that Phantom will cease to exist. Pretty funny, so I had to tease them a little. Is that allowed here? :D

What's also funny is many of the P4P buyers ordering today will be getting their craft before buyers of the Mavic that placed their orders last month, getting P4P weeks before. I chalk this up to timing. DJI announced too early to compete with a "now dead" Karma. Some Mavic buyers are sorry they ordered a Mavic and wish they hadn't jumped the gun, wishing they bought the better camera in the P4P.

I hope the first guys that get their P4P do a range test. I'm very interested to see how close to 4mi the craft will actually fly. If reports come back supporting this distance I'll immediately buy one. I'm skeptical of DJI on RC transmitters. They have a pattern of detuning their RCs for some reason, a reason that I'd sure like to understand because it make no sense to detune things when not they are now boasting about 4+ miles when before they detuned the P4 RC to crap out at 1mi. My P3P can go 2-3miles. Sorry for the attitude, but it makes no sense to detune the P4 like they did. Maybe they have changed their trend with P4P and Mavic. I sure hope so.
I just came from a Best Buy In Moncton, NB and they have the Mavic on the shelf.

Reactions: Falcon900
Sorry if is a duplicate ...

I use crutches and braces to walk. The P3P was a load to carry. Now the Mav has opened trails previously not an option. DJI unknowingly or by plan has created a new market segment for those of us with unique challenges. Thanks, DJI!

IMO the P4P launch and delivery is less troubled simply because the P4 platform already exist and is well developed, whereas the Mavic is an entirely new concept, designed and built from ground up - AC and Tx.

The Mavic is for portability, and that quality should not be underestimated: as one who dismissed the I1Pro for being a real pain to carry around, assemble and fly (it still scary ppl around me a lot more than the more common Phantom...), I'm sure I'll love the size and ease of the smaller drone.

The P4P is for higher quality photo and film jobs, but IMO the Phantom line is still a bit too big to have with me most times. I hate to turn every flight into a "happening", drawing ppl and attention and questions and looks. The Mavic should be a lot better in that sense too, stealthier, thus more flights in more places.

Even though the image is not up to P4P or I2, and may need more post production too, it's still good enough for the most jobs I get. At least for the time being, maybe that changes in the future with the spread of 4K TVs and monitors. And for pro demands (higher codec, resolution, etc.) I can always hire higher payload aircrafts too.
The Mavic is also so much quieter. Don't get me wrong I love the Phantom line I ordered the P4P and will order the next Phantom. But like you said the Mavic draws way less attention. Easier to carry around. I carry mine in a shoulder dslr nikon bag, people think I'm carrying a camera. When I carry my Phantom around I'm carrying a pretty big backpack. They take notice more

John I don't appreciate the click bait of your subject line. Bill
Sorry to suck you into to a thread you don't appreciate. That certainly wasn't the intent. I just couldn't resist teasing the folks that went off the deep end making bold statements saying there's no need for Phantoms anymore with the Mavic here, insuring us the Phantom line is dead. I thought it was quite amusing how the P4P release timing was so impeccable, squashing all thoughts that Phantoms were doomed. People are now talking about how close the P4P camera rivals the Inspire X5 camera. Both are amazing products.

That said, I don't expect a P5 in the Spring like most others do (I hope I'm wrong). I expect something more like a year from now, maybe next Fall. There are so many improvements in P4P, it's far ahead of the competition for camera quality, assuming the product is as good as we think, based on the specs and early reviews. I think the only reason they are calling this craft a Phantom 4, instead of Phantom 5, is because the batteries are compatible with P4 craft. That seems to be the pattern I've seen from DJI in the past. So if that's true, a Phantom 5 will have a new battery, incompatible with the P4 lineup. I'm hoping for a 99WH battery in P5 to maximize flight time, and offset the weight balance of a new camera gimbal being pushed forward to fix the prop interference in the lens view.

I actually look forward to buying a Mavic once things get sorted out. I'm not sold just yet, but I'll buy one eventually. I do a lot of hiking and travelling for business. In the summer I always try to wrap up my meetings by 4pm with clients so I can go flying during the golden hour in places I haven't been before. The Mavic will make that much easier, more convenient.

Last edited:
Did you actually read the OP?

Anyway, the Mavic's portability is the whole point. And comparing it to the Phantom 4 makes as much sense as comparing the Phantom 4 to the Phantom 2. The Phantom 4 Pro, the current Phantom, blows the Mavic away from a photography/video standpoint. Thus we see DJI's marketing concept...a portable drone with pretty good imaging, a less portable drone with excellent imaging, and a non-portable drone with professional-quality imaging. As to your point, I don't know why they'd keep the Phantom 4 in the lineup either. But I'm likewise puzzled as to why the Phantom 2 V+, the P3S and P3A are still available.
I was not talking about the P4P, I was talking about the Phantom 4. And I'm saying it's "dead". The Mavic trumped it, and all the Phantoms before it. The P3S is the only one that makes sense for them to keep as an entry level drone IMO.

The P4P is great, a wonderful piece of equipment from what I can tell so far. Much better than the Mavic, except portability. A small price to pay considering what you're getting.

I was not talking about the P4P, I was talking about the Phantom 4. And I'm saying it's "dead". The Mavic trumped it, and all the Phantoms before it. The P3S is the only one that makes sense for them to keep as an entry level drone IMO.

The P4P is great, a wonderful piece of equipment from what I can tell so far. Much better than the Mavic, except portability. A small price to pay considering what you're getting.
Man why the P4 is dead?The P4 is still better than the mavic.The only advance of the mavic is the portability.

Man why the P4 is dead?The P4 is still better than the mavic.The only advance of the mavic is the portability.
Last time I checked they had the same sensor and lens of equal quality.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic