WiFi iPad - GPS Misconception

Reaction score
Guys, there's been some talk about this here recently and I don't know why but people are under the impression that the WiFi only iPads will not allow you to use "GPS features" such as follow me or updating the home point.

Although it is true, WiFi models do NOT have a GPS module as the GPS module uses the same antenna as the 4G/LTE receiver, they can still use location services while tethered to a phone.

In this video I'm using my iPad Mini 4 WiFi 64GB tethered to my iPhone 6s 64GB while traveling in a vehicle at approximately 45mph.

Yes, there's a couple second delay in updating your location but it isn't anything critical.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks for watching. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

So, are you confirming you're also able to use the Follow Me feature and reset your home point to the RC's location?

I heard this worked from my local LHS that specializes in Quads. I tried using my Iphone6 as a hotspot and had my Ipad Mini 4 tethered to it. The video lag was so bad I didn't even try any of the modes...

Bought an Ipad Air with cellular was was done...

I heard this worked from my local LHS that specializes in Quads. I tried using my Iphone6 as a hotspot and had my Ipad Mini 4 tethered to it. The video lag was so bad I didn't even try any of the modes...

Bought an Ipad Air with cellular was was done...
What........ tethering doesn't anyhow affect anything lol, it allows for internet connection to download the maps and to use the location services. Video quality link is between remote and aircraft.

I'm not disagreeing with you that it's not laggy. I'm just saying whether your device is connected to LTE or wifi or tethered to another device for Internet access purpose, that has 0 relation to your video quality link between your remote controller and the aircraft.

I appreciate the attempt of trying to take me out on a date though :oops:

Sorry thats where you are wrong....

You aren't taking into account the "work" the Ipad mini wifi has to do and its slower processor. If you tether the Ipad mini wifi to your Iphone 6 it is constantly talking to the Iphone and updating its map all the while its attempting to process video coming from the Phantom... That taxes the Ipad Mini Wifi... So something has to give, and its obvious in the video feed.

Your test/video shows you can tether, but thats not the issue, add in your phantom and try it again...

Call it what you will a date or maybe an opportunity to educate you about what you believe to be true is not....

I'm not disagreeing with you that it's not laggy. I'm just saying whether your device is connected to LTE or wifi or tethered to another device for Internet access purpose, that has 0 relation to your video quality link between your remote controller and the aircraft.

I appreciate the attempt of trying to take me out on a date though :oops:

Last edited:
I've read about this capability when researching how to use ForeFlight with a WiFi only iPad. Seems to work only when tethering to an iPhone. However, another solution is to purchase a cheap bluetooth GPS: Amazon.com: GlobalSat BT-821 Bluetooth GPS Receiver: Cell Phones & Accessories

Hi I have question, I'm owner P4 and Ipad mini 4 without cellular, If I'll buy GlobalSat BT-821 Bluetooth GPS Receiver, Can I start use following mode ? I can use only home point, not a other one choice.
Maybe is it stupid question, but I want to make sure, because my english is not perfect.
Thank you for your answer.

Hi I have question, I'm owner P4 and Ipad mini 4 without cellular, If I'll buy GlobalSat BT-821 Bluetooth GPS Receiver, Can I start use following mode ? I can use only home point, not a other one choice.
Maybe is it stupid question, but I want to make sure, because my english is not perfect.
Thank you for your answer.
No question is ever stupid, the stupid thing would be not to ask the question! I believe follow mode works with the GPS in the device itself. If you add the GPS receiver to your non-cellular iPad Mini 4, then I don't see why it wouldn't work on your P4. However, other members who use the GPS "pucks" may want to post their opinions.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers