Why Phantoms sometime Fall out of the sky !

PhantomWetSuits

Approved Vendor
Reaction score
The best way to show you why this happens is to just demonstrate it using a brand new Phantom 4 Pro that i am setting up for a client. The firmware is set to : V01.04.0602 .

This can happen when shifting into sport mode.
This can happen when coming to a quick halt
This can happen when hitting something on impact
This can happen if you climb to fast or come down to fast.

Reminds me of a caller on a radio talk show who claimed to know why dead pigeons were occasionally liter in the ground. "Their heart stops and they fall out of the sky". The seriousness in his tone and complete conviction was engaging.

While the suppositions are valid, I don’t worry much about it. I ALWAYS make sure my battery’s clicked top and bottom and I don’t fly in the rain. Your wetsuit is cool and I hope you sell a gazillion of them. My other question regards the rubber band usage to make sure the suit is straight. How do I know the rubber band (my reference point for the suit) is straight?

Reactions: jamiemink
I tired to get mine to do as he shows, but it would not come out with the pressure as shown. Good sales pitch for his rain suit, but personally, I don't want to fly in the rain, the camera gets wet and drops on the lens cover ruin the shots.
But, I guess it is possible for a battery to come loose as he shows, still, sales pitch.

I don't fly in the rain.
guess I don't need a wet suit.
good info about the battery though.

Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
like P T Barnum once said.
There is a sucker born every minute.

Reminds me of a caller on a radio talk show who claimed to know why dead pigeons were occasionally liter in the ground. "Their heart stops and they fall out of the sky". The seriousness in his tone and complete conviction was engaging.

YIKES , GREAT COMMENTS: I guess this needs to be said : NO ONE WANTS TO FLY THERE DRONE IN THE RAIN.

But for those of you who do fly your drone and just dont talk about flying it there is every chance that you can get caught in the rain.

There are those of you that use your drone to make money , to do inspections, roofs, towers , rivers, ships, farms, and sometimes it rains , you cannot always say that you will come back on a sunny day with no clouds in the sky. This is just not real life.

You have a lot of people that fly there Drones over the ocean and lake from there boat. We have seen it all to often as they try to hand catch the drone in the boat and it drops in the water, Panic sets in and the Drone sinks within mere seconds.

Hopefully this makes it more clear as to why the WET SUIT was created for the Phantom 4 Drones.

Approved Vendor
Phantomrain.org
Coal

Reactions: Danoldo
First thought from seeing this video: His business not going so good -> Tries to make up more solutions that his product brings -> Comes up with this.

Checking the battery is properly in place is the second, third and fourth thing I do when I turn my Phantom on, always.

Personally I wont need a wet suit for my phantom. When it got stuck on a hotel roof upside down and it rained for 14 hours solid, water was getting into the vents. Very next day, it was dried naturally. Works like a charm. Even the battery is fine and this landed, tipped and power was on despite the heavy rain. So nope.... wet suits are not needed at all if you ask me. Save your money and put it towards a new battery

The best way to show you why this happens is to just demonstrate it using a brand new Phantom 4 Pro that i am setting up for a client. The firmware is set to : V01.04.0602 .

This can happen when shifting into sport mode.
This can happen when coming to a quick halt
This can happen when hitting something on impact
This can happen if you climb to fast or come down to fast.

I feel as if I have been “Sucker Punched” into watching only part of this sales pitch designed as a training or helping video! Why bother with a wetsuit for something not used in the rain? I simply use a sturdy rubber band to help secure the battery. Much easier than his wetsuit and besides that’s not a problem if a preflight check is done thus insuring both latches click shut.
Jim
WA5TEF

Reactions: Neon Euc
New Trauma 1 Wetsuits - 2mm of neoprene to protect your drone on impact , and supports for the landing gear for 1 hand grabs. Nice
These are really easy to spot in the sky and over the lake with direct sunlight and white skys
I feel as if I have been “Sucker Punched” into watching only part of this sales pitch designed as a training or helping video! Why bother with a wetsuit for something not used in the rain? I simply use a sturdy rubber band to help secure the battery. Much easier than his wetsuit and besides that’s not a problem if a preflight check is done thus insuring both latches click shut.
Jim
WA5TEF

Great comment JIM: Using a Rubber band is a good way to secure the battery and definitely supports my post. As far as why bother making a wetsuit ?

I have already explained that in great detail but to support that also , You might not be aware that because of the number of rain related incidents flying drones , DJI has there very own REFRESH warranty under normal use for water damage. This might be because it rains sometimes and there must be a lot of incidents where people just get caught in the rain and panic sets in.

Last edited:
A layer of silicon sealant (the type that solidified after 24hrs or so) spread over all the USB ports etc. forming a smooth layer across the side there. Leave it to cure thoroughly and you can make yourself a purpose built rubber insert to keep water out of the ports. This has worked really well but you must give it sufficient curing time so when you peel it off it brings all the sealant with it from each of the ports.
The same is true for each battery. Create a sealant ring around the top end of the battery. Clip it in properly. And allow the silicon to cure thoroughly. When the battery comes out, make sure that it remains with the battery and doesn’t stick to the drone. Do this with each battery and they automatically have sealing rings to cushion any movement.
And as someone said above, checking the battery is clipped in properly is the 2nd, 3rd and 4th things during setup before flying. And a rubber band, or Velcro strap won’t do any harm either if you’re that worried.

Reactions: gglop
YIKES , GREAT COMMENTS: I guess this needs to be said : NO ONE WANTS TO FLY THERE DRONE IN THE RAIN.

But for those of you who do fly your drone and just dont talk about flying it there is every chance that you can get caught in the rain.

There are those of you that use your drone to make money , to do inspections, roofs, towers , rivers, ships, farms, and sometimes it rains , you cannot always say that you will come back on a sunny day with no clouds in the sky. This is just not real life.

You have a lot of people that fly there Drones over the ocean and lake from there boat. We have seen it all to often as they try to hand catch the drone in the boat and it drops in the water, Panic sets in and the Drone sinks within mere seconds.

Hopefully this makes it more clear as to why the WET SUIT was created for the Phantom 4 Drones.

Approved Vendor
Phantomrain.org
Coal
You are correct sir...you can get caught in the rain...

My P4P and 4 batteries may not be typical, but I can duplicate the slight movement of the battery, yet no way can applied pressure pop the battery out of place, but even depressing the release buttons the batteries require a bit of a pull to remove them.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl