Why not use cellular for communication?

Reaction score
LTE latency is down to 30-50 me via AT&T

Is that Still too slow? Doesn’t seem like it should be. Has the time come to start looking at cell network connected drones. Or, perhaps, dual mode?

Reactions: Eyeflytoo
At what cost and limits? No doubt you'd need to play for plan to allow the drone to access someone's cell tower. You'd then also need have cell coverage in the area you were flying. Then, to what extent? That is, why? To fly further then 4 or 5 miles? I just don't see any issues with RC connection.

I'd have to say more than half use pads and tables without cell service also. Which would limit their sales.

Respectfully, I asked about the state of technology, not if you like it or not.
Every device I own has cellular service, I have excellent LTE coverage everywhere I fly, I don’t care about extra data cost, due to obstructions including trees and buildings, my max distance is often less than 1-2 miles and, yes, it’d be nice to be able to fly >4-5 miles as needed.
So, for me, it would useful, that why I asked why isn’t it being done yet? What’s the technical hold up?

Respectfully, I asked about the state of technology, not if you like it or not.
Every device I own has cellular service, I have excellent LTE coverage everywhere I fly, I don’t care about extra data cost, due to obstructions including trees and buildings, my max distance is often less than 1-2 miles and, yes, it’d be nice to be able to fly >4-5 miles as needed.
So, for me, it would useful, that why I asked why isn’t it being done yet? What’s the technical hold up?
The "technical holdup" was answered in posts #3 and #4. Coverage is not available in a lot of places. And no one said anything about whether they "like" it or not.

No service for two people, sorry to hear.

BUT that’s a service limit not technology - technology would be, bad latency, high error rates, low bandwidth, signal drop between cell transfers, etc.

Thank you for
Your input

At what cost and limits? No doubt you'd need to play for plan to allow the drone to access someone's cell tower. You'd then also need have cell coverage in the area you were flying. Then, to what extent? That is, why? To fly further then 4 or 5 miles? I just don't see any issues with RC connection.
So your not interested in cellular control.... great... not helpful to the OP question being if it’s likely to happen. It seems it’s an option on the inspire 2 so might just be comming to a phantom soon...

Reactions: Drestin Black

$10 to add a decide to my att monthly plan that shares data with other decided - i.e. dirt cheap

If it’s of no interest to you and/or not applicable - cool. Have a nice day.

But. To ME, i have applications and interest.

$10 to add a decide to my att monthly plan that shares data with other decided - i.e. dirt cheap

But. To ME, i have applications and interest.
I’m with you on it being a nice feature. Autopilot can utilise the mobile network for airspace which is fantastic and provides great range for any devices used as tracking sources for follow flight modes.

Reactions: Drestin Black
So your not interested in cellular control.... great... not helpful to the OP question being if it’s likely to happen. It seems it’s an option on the inspire 2 so might just be comming to a phantom soon...

If you read the subject line there is a question, "Why not use cellular for communication?". The post is public so it's put out to anyone that may want to comment on that question. My reply is _directly_ on topic with the post.

It may or may not be in a Phantom. I'm simply giving my opinion.

If you are not looking for people to give their input on your question, you should not have posted in a public forum with a question. You may have wanted to write an email directly to DJI on your desire to see it added to their next drone. I'm giving you my opinion on why I don't think it would be added to a mid priced drone from DJI.

Reactions: N017RW
I’d say it’s not already on there because of the super-technical reason that it’s not a marketable feature. Significantly more expense, additional transmitters and receivers which may or may not work in all locations, all for no other reason than to stretch range out well beyond a legal level, while the existing technology already is well capable of doing just that.

Reactions: MTO
This is a couple years away, maybe 3yrs. Gen5 cellular towers will start deployment next year. The bandwidth and low latency of Gen5 is good enough to consider video downlink communications from the craft at decent resolution, even 1080, along with craft control signal. However, I'm told the distance from tower to phone (or craft) is going to be less for Gen5 because the speeds are so high. This means a more dense network of towers will be needed to take advantage of the speed and low latency. Phones will have Gen 5 and Gen 4 support, so if Gen 5 towers aren't available in the early stages, the existing LTE GEN4 will work for cellphones. Using GEN5 in high density areas will be deployed first for carriers to improve quality of service in places like NY City, near ball stadiums, concert venues, etc. This will fix the current overload problems in a few places where LTE can't handle enough data and users during peak usage times.

For drones, LTE + Gen5 dual support is likely not feasible for other reasons (LTE speed & latency). In DJI drones I expect normal Ocu-Sync to be standard, but the higher end drones, possibly P5, I3 and up, would have an option to have a SIM card installed in BOTH the craft and RC for a GEN5 connection. The data would likely cost a pretty penny if implemented. Your dataplan handling the video would get eaten up pretty quick since video takes a lot of data to communicate, even at 720 resolution. Don't forget, you'd have to pay for the data from the craft to the tower, and you'd have to pay for the RC to receive the data from the tower. So you would have to pay twice for the same data, to tower and from tower. This seems complicated, and expensive, but I'm sure it's in the future of higher end drones at some point down the road.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src72