Why isn't the FPV app with the goggles popular?

I am using a Vbox headset on IOS ( iphone 6 ) ...and it works great and have gone through the following VR apps ;
  1. DroneVR
  2. Cloudlight
  3. FPV Goggles
These support various menu aspects in various guises and then uses the phone camera for direct view. FPV camera only shows direct view in the left eye which is a little off putting, although this is a fix they are looking at. Cloudlight crashed once in mid flight. The C1 button does not work on Cloudlight. DroneVR supports voice control in the app, although i have not used it much.

Last edited:
(mirrorimage) I know what you are saying I actually get a pretty amazing experience with 720p close to my face but I think I am doing different than anyone else. Let me explain. Most people do their DJI drone viewing one of 2 ways.

1) Putting either a phone or a big tablet like an iPad or an Android tablet on the remote bracket = great 720p resolution but lots of glare, have to get close to see details, especially with a phone.
2) Using a phone in a VR viewer with Litchi or one of the apps that support VR viewing. This is splitting the screen in half and displaying a warped image that your eyes need to focus on correctly to get proper overlay. Plus the VR software GREATLY reduces the resolution and adds latency, blurring, etc.

I use method #3) I put my phone inside of VR viewer that is modified for NON 3D viewing. I look at the regular app in ONE screen with all the same data and resolution that you get in the DJI go app on a tablet, phone etc. BUT, because I have it only 5-6 inches from my face it looks like a huge TV. I also don't use Fresnel lenses that distort the image. I tried many lenses and found that powerful reading glasses 4-6x for me work well at magnifying the screen and focusing it so it doesn't look blurry. This is the same effect that lets grandpa be able to focus on his book at a normal distance so he does not have to hold it out at arms length. In this way the 720p is actually pretty good. We don't have 2 cameras so their is no such thing as 3D on a Phantom so I would rather have one undistorted image in normal aspect to look at. The only "problems" I have found is that the **** phone gets heavier when it is further out making the goggles a little uncomfortable and I need more adjustability so I can let my friends use the viewer without it being blurry or a double image. I looked far and wide but it seems the world is SO into 3D VR that no one makes a phone viewer for good old 2D movie watching, etc. so I had to make one.

Cheesy version 1 I made a Quanum/Cardboard/4X HD FPV Viewer from my phone

Current version 2 Will HDMI Glasses work with P3A?"

FPVFlyer said they did some latency tests and both the DJI and FPV apps both average 220ms latency. I personally do not experience any noticeable increased latency between using the Go app on my iPad or FPV Camera with my goggles.

I have used the Quanum goggles and just strapped my phone to it. In fact, that was my first goggle experience. It's nice that it allows full screen as you don't need an app with goggle mode. But I definitely prefer using my HooToo goggles with FPV Camera. I get no distortion or blurriness as long as I adjust the lenses which takes half a second. Picture is crisp and clear and all good!

FPVFlyer said they did some latency tests and both the DJI and FPV apps both average 220ms latency. I personally do not experience any noticeable increased latency between using the Go app on my iPad or FPV Camera with my goggles.

I have used the Quanum goggles and just strapped my phone to it. In fact, that was my first goggle experience. It's nice that it allows full screen as you don't need an app with goggle mode. But I definitely prefer using my HooToo goggles with FPV Camera. I get no distortion or blurriness as long as I adjust the lenses which takes half a second. Picture is crisp and clear and all good!
How do I get FPV Camera for goggles to let me use the C2 button? I plugged in my iPhone 6 plus and then started the app and it work out of the box. When I tried to go into settings it would not let me. Help.

How do I get FPV Camera for goggles to let me use the C2 button? I plugged in my iPhone 6 plus and then started the app and it work out of the box. When I tried to go into settings it would not let me. Help.

I don't know that you can program it. I think it's hard coded to switch to camera mode so you have line of sight when you slide the door to the goggles open

I don't know that you can program it. I think it's hard coded to switch to camera mode so you have line of sight when you slide the door to the goggles open
The beta version allows the C1 button to be set to one of 5 hard coded functions

You've clearly never tried it. This is misinformed and bad info. The lenses move independently (forward, back, and side to side) and the image is sharp and clear. No blurriness here

Not only have I tried it I own 3 different FPV headset units along with Both a VIVE PRE, and access to the Oculus RIFT CV1

(Toph) I have also used the HooToo with Litchi but I think FPV goggles is for iPhone only. Have you used Litchi and is FPV goggles better? I just found that I didn't really get the greatest experience in "Cardboard Mode" with Litchi. It worked, but I had a hard time keeping it from double imaging and it seems to crop the image. You are also looking at fewer pixels since it is using two windows of the one screen.

I just looked, FPV Camera is for iPhone only. Maybe it is a lot better than Litchi. I want to try others but you have to buy each app to try them. I only paid for Litchi to get "Cardboard mode" and now never use it.

(Toph) I have also used the HooToo with Litchi but I think FPV goggles is for iPhone only. Have you used Litchi and is FPV goggles better? I just found that I didn't really get the greatest experience in "Cardboard Mode" with Litchi. It worked, but I had a hard time keeping it from double imaging and it seems to crop the image. You are also looking at fewer pixels since it is using two windows of the one screen.

I just looked, FPV Camera is for iPhone only. Maybe it is a lot better than Litchi. I want to try others but you have to buy each app to try them. I only paid for Litchi to get "Cardboard mode" and now never use it.

Litchi only has goggle mode for droid. I do have litchi though and love it for programmed flights. With FPV Camera it costs about $14 to buy the app with goggle mode

C2 button is pre-set in the app depending on different mode. Upcoming v3.0 supports C1 customization.

FPV Goggles mode:
  • Click C2 button to toggle iPhone camera (left screen only to view surrounding if camera not covered by headset) and FPV video live feed.
  • Click-and-hold C2 (2-3 seconds) to pop-up Settings menu.
  • Use right-dial to scroll through the menu, and click right-dial to select an item or a sub-menu.
  • For slider, click right-dial to enter and turn right-dial to proper value then click right-dial again to set the value.
  • Click C2 once to go back to previous menu.
Camera mode:
  • Toggle between Side-by-Side and 2 views of P-in-P.
Mission Planner mode:
  • Toggle main/small windows between navigation map and live video feed as shown in the screen recorder. That's the most common way of using C2 in the app.

A few things. . . . .

Seems like with the VR viewers; some people are pickier then others (referring to mirrorimage here). I guess you drive a brand new BMW 7 Series and you get a 1 year old Ford Taurus as a rental car you might think it is horrible. Personally I would be more than happy with the Taurus (of course I have never driven a new BMW though). I have a iPhone 5S and a Shinecon VR viewer and I am happy with it. For the money it is hard to beat, if I looked through someone else’s HDMI goggles I might think it was horrible, but I haven't had that experience.

I did notice with the VR viewer that I got the lenses I can adjust the pupil distance IPD, and I can also adjust the focal distance from my phone. With the VR box and the HooToo viewer you can individually adjust the lens distance from the screen. This is a plus for some as one eye is different from the other and a con for some because they have difficulty getting both lenses aligned correctly.

I contacted the app developer for "FPV Camera for DJI" and the lack of Yaw control and found out they do not allow this because it causes issues with the return to home functionality.

I contacted the app developer for "3D FPV - Stereoscopic 3D VR viewing! For DJI Phantom 3 and Inspire 1", which allows yaw control and asked about this and they told me that "we have head tracking: drone yaw and camera pitch control but you can't fly the drone in this mode. It is stationary and you look around. The next update will give you full control of the drone including head tracking while flying."

My situation is that I would like no OSD on the screen and for the image to fill the screen with no map, battery, telemetry, etc. I plan to only use this for a couple of minutes with a full battery and flying only in very close proximity with someone else actually wearing the goggles.

With the iOS apps, I don't mind paying, but I would like to be able to test to make sure the app fits my needs first; some developers are more flexible as others in regards to allowing refunds, etc.

I am intrigued by JonEQuest's post #206, never thought of doing method 3 that you mentioned but that sounds like it might work out pretty well. The current version 2 looks pretty nice, just don't feel like fiddling with that myself, but it sounds like that would work out pretty well.

Sorry to be so lengthy

Reactions: JonEQuest
You've clearly never tried it. This is misinformed and bad info. The lenses move independently (forward, back, and side to side) and the image is sharp and clear. No blurriness here
I know that is right. Not only a clear image. But even the text is crystal clear. I'm sold. I find it hard to fly with just a tablet or phone at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Toph
Everything looks great when using the phone in my viewer. I just tested "DroneVR" last night and it honestly looks pretty good too but with far less telemetry. There was also some distortion at the sides but there are several adjustments you can make to help it out. The advantage is NOT having to mod a viewer and the viewer and phone are a lot lighter feeling when the phone is closer. For comfort the holy grail seems like it is going to be adding some wide parts at the bottom to sit on my cheekbones. Most viewers sit right on my nose which is very uncomfortable.

Everything looks great when using the phone in my viewer. I just tested "DroneVR" last night and it honestly looks pretty good too but with far less telemetry. There was also some distortion at the sides but there are several adjustments you can make to help it out. The advantage is NOT having to mod a viewer and the viewer and phone are a lot lighter feeling when the phone is closer. For comfort the holy grail seems like it is going to be adding some wide parts at the bottom to sit on my cheekbones. Most viewers sit right on my nose which is very uncomfortable.
DroneVR looks interesting, but it just gets one comment and it is a bad one, looks like it hasn't been updated either. DroneVR on the App Store

Does the head tracking work for left and right as well as up and down?
If so, did you try testing to see if RTH still works?

To many choices and most these apps are not free.
I will say I do like that more people seem to have experience with FPV Camera for DJI and they are active on the forums here.

Thanks

I have an Android so FPV Camera is out for me. I didn't fly with the DroneVR app yet. When you install it, you get three 2 minutes sessions to try it out. I used one to look at what the image looked like. There is also a demo video that runs continuously to adjust your headset to, etc. One thing I noticed is that the head tracking was tracking my phones movements up and down with a green grid on the screen. The grid looks kind of cool but I think it will just show my head's position and not the drone's.

I have an Android so FPV Camera is out for me. I didn't fly with the DroneVR app yet. When you install it, you get three 2 minutes sessions to try it out. I used one to look at what the image looked like. There is also a demo video that runs continuously to adjust your headset to, etc. One thing I noticed is that the head tracking was tracking my phones movements up and down with a green grid on the screen. The grid looks kind of cool but I think it will just show my head's position and not the drone's.
Update us when you fly with it, thanks for the info!

FPV Camera for DJI just released version 3.0, grabbing the update now

Details here:
FPV Camera for DJI on the App Store
You can change Camera Mode to Photo and adjust Aspect Ratio to 4:3 for larger side-by-side display. You may further turn off navigation map and custom telemetry as you like. However, I think using navigation map and custom telemetry is more immersive IMO to let you feel seating inside aircraft cockpit.

You can change Camera Mode to Photo and adjust Aspect Ratio to 4:3 for larger side-by-side display. You may further turn off navigation map and custom telemetry as you like. However, I think using navigation map and custom telemetry is more immersive IMO to let you feel seating inside aircraft cockpit.
Changed your logo. Interesting.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl