Why do you have to attach your tablet via USB cable to remote?

Reaction score
Hello all,

I had a Phantom 3 Standard for a short time and now am getting a Phantom 3 Advanced.

My question is why do you have to attach your tablet or smartphone to the remote radio controller with a USB cable? This wasn't required with the P3Standard.

Is this required? It doesn't work wireless between the tablet and remote controller on the P3Adanced?

Thanks for any onsite on this subject about the differences....

think about this
if you plug a desktop/laptop directly into a router with Ethernet, its going to be faster than wireless, right? of course. wireless may be more convenient, but is slower than Ethernet/a direct connection. when you plug your phone/tablet directly into the controller, it can communicate and sent the video and telemetry and everything faster, which lets you get better quality video and faster communication from the phantom's camera to your phone or tablet. hoped I explained it well!

Reactions: docrobot
As you mention... because there is no wifi used on the P3A and P3P. It avoids all need for a wifi system and also frees up wifi/data use on the device while flying (so you can download maps, etc. while you are flying).

Reactions: Phantomix
I'm certain this has already been answered but its because the Standard & Advanced utilize completely different technologies. The Standard links to your phone via a Wi-Fi router integrated within the controller. The Advanced uses Lightbridge & there is no Wi-Fi connector for your phone to attach & receive the video/telemetry feed. Instead the Advanced controller connects to your phone via a physical USB connection. The USB cable functions as a video out port to your device.

Hello all,

I had a Phantom 3 Standard for a short time and now am getting a Phantom 3 Advanced.

My question is why do you have to attach your tablet or smartphone to the remote radio controller with a USB cable? This wasn't required with the P3Standard.

Is this required? It doesn't work wireless between the tablet and remote controller on the P3Adanced?

Thanks for any onsite on this subject about the differences....

Using a cable is more convenient than having to hook up the Wi-Fi every time too. I realize it doesn't take long to do, but it's just one less menu to navigate through :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav