Whose cloud is it?

Reaction score
Hi All-
I have been using two devices to fly my drone, a tablet and a phone. While looking at my flight records from earlier in the day on my tablet, I noticed the cloud icon. I clicked and proceeded to sync all records between the two devices.
Then I got to thinking... are my records (and everyone else's) on a DJI cloud somewhere? What if I don't want records of my flights being being stored (and viewed) by somebody else?
Please chime in and share your knowledge and opinions... if I am right, this feels a lot like big brother.

are my records (and everyone else's) on a DJI cloud somewhere?
Yes -- if you've synced your flight logs in DJI GO.

What if I don't want records of my flights being being stored (and kept) by somebody else?
Your flight logs will not be up on the cloud if you do not sync them.

Then I got to thinking... are my records (and everyone else's) on a DJI cloud somewhere? What if I don't want records of my flights being being stored (and viewed) by somebody else?
Please chime in and share your knowledge and opinions... if I am right, this feels a lot like big brother.
Yes ... you've put your flight records on one of DJI's computers.
The choice is yours, you don't have to upload if you don't want to.

Nice... if I delete a log off of my device, will it be deleted from the cloud as well?

No.

Reactions: zacksomeone
I only fly legally so quite happy to log all my flights. It also means if anyone challenges my flying I have records to back them up.

If you use other aps like HealthyDrones or NVDrones the CLOUD is how they get your flight logs automatically and it makes it a lot easier in the long run.

If you use other aps like HealthyDrones or NVDrones the CLOUD is how they get your flight logs automatically and it makes it a lot easier in the long run.
Correct if i'm wrong but HealthyDrones doesn't use DJI CLOUD , you send your logs directly to HealthyDrones without any need to sync with DJI

Correct if i'm wrong but HealthyDrones doesn't use DJI CLOUD , you send your logs directly to HealthyDrones without any need to sync with DJI
Unless something changed or I'm on an outdated system I sync my logs to DJI CLoud and then I open the HD ap and it retrieves the logs from the DJI Cloud. While you "can" manually send them over we do dozens of flights every day and that would be time consuming so we use the most automated methods we can.

Reactions: Suhail78
I think the HD app grabs the logs from your device not the DJI cloud , there is nothing on HD stating you must sync with DJI so they get your logs from your device .

I'm much more fascinated with the Big Brother component of this thread. Imagine the data an entity could collect... and in this case a foreign entity.

Big Brother is WELL BEYOND the point I think most of us even consider. I often wonder what exactly could be determined about any particular individual on any given day.

Phones... no point even getting into that, what it's capable of tracking, recording, hearing, seeing. Smart TV's... could know what and how much you're watching, and watch YOU. Your car (ie OnStar)... the data collection there could be mind boggling.

The use of debit/credit cards. Surveillance cameras. Card access systems. RFID in your license, & products you buy...

The sophistication of data these birds collect, what they do with it, where it goes and how it's stored.

I would love to know the actual number of times, and how, I create a digital footprint in a 24 hour period.

Last edited:
I'm much more fascinated with the Big Brother component of this thread. Imagine the data an entity could collect... and in this case a foreign entity.

Big Brother is WELL BEYOND the point I think most of us even consider. I often wonder what exactly could be determined about any particular individual on any given day.

Phones... no point even getting into that, what it's capable of tracking, recording, hearing, seeing. Smart TV's... could know what and how much you're watching, and watch YOU. Your car (ie OnStar)... the data collection there could be mind boggling.

The use of debit/credit cards. Surveillance cameras. Cars access systems. RFID in your license, & products you buy...

The sophistication of data these birds collect, what they do with it, where it goes and how it's stored.

I would love to know the actual number of times, and how, I create a digital footprint in a 24 hour period.
Well we know of at least one today ;)

Reactions: jwmcgrath
Of course, I assume that most opinions on this topic would be conjecture, but what could/would DJ I do with this data anyway?

I think the HD app grabs the logs from your device not the DJI cloud , there is nothing on HD stating you must sync with DJI so they get your logs from your device .
You could be right. I've not tested it but just synced and synced since day one.

Of course, I assume that most opinions on this topic would be conjecture, but what could/would DJ I do with this data anyway?

Very interesting question from the perspective of conversation.

I've decided that there is just SO much data available that it's impossible to control anymore, and that I care so little about what I'm doing myself that I can't see how anyone else could possibly care about what I'm doing either.

Reactions: upthedowns
Dji started collecting flight data to keep the history of individual aircrafts. But I'm sure the collected data could be analyzed for various developmental and marketing needs.

I don't share my flight data at all as I don't find the need of it.

How about the FAA… Do you think that they care?[emoji6]

For flight, ya. I was thinking more broad strokes...

I don't care if my truck tracks me going to Walmart and their security records me walking to the men's department and my phone logs me tapping a purchase of a pair of Hanes and the RFID chip says it was Large, black, and my truck notified me I'm due for an oil change which triggered an email from OnStar.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl