Who's actually filming and Editing in 4k

Reaction score
Heart tells me to get a Proffesional but my head tells me Advanced.
Haven't got a 4k TV nor a PC capable of comfortable editing 4k footage, probably like the majority of people.
Are all you Proffesional owners filming in 4k or 1080p? If that's the case I may as well wait for the Phantom 4 or 5 before going 4k.
22gb for 6 mins footage seems like real hard work when it comes to editing or is it ?????

Reactions: Kenneth Gundersen
Yes, you will need a computer that can handle 4K, RAM wise, and also have a storage device such as a 2TB hard drive.

However, I do think it is advisable to go with the Professional model. At the very least, if you are outputting in 1080, you can "zoom" via cropping on all the videos by 1/4. This photo explains it in a visual way. The 1080 part is how small you could crop a 4k video and retain quality.
resolutions-ultra-hd-4k-1080p-720p-dvd.png

I saw someone post it in another thread.
I would say I'm probably around 2 years from upgrading to a 4k bearing in mind there's currently no other usable 4k media available

Even if you don't have a 4K display... recording in 4K and downsizing to 1080p results in better quality and color definition.
Recording in 4K(UHD) results in more color information per pixel.
Downsizing to 1080p results in a smaller image with the benefits of more color info per pixel and less noise.

Check this out for more info on panel sizes and UHD versus actual 4K - http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/174221-no-tv-makers-4k-and-uhd-are-not-the-same-thing

And this... https://library.creativecow.net/galt_john/John_Galt_2K_4K_Truth_About_Pixels/1

4K recordings downsized to 1080p indeed gives you a better quality - but not noticeable if you do not compare both material.

I own a 65" 4K TV (Sony) and the 1080p footage even looks stunning on it! You're fine getting the advanced now and upgrade in in the future to the Pro-Cam.

BTW: if you have a crash and need to repair the gimbal/cam you can still buy the 4K cam for just a few bucks more and his will give you a full Phantom 3 Professional!

I do. 1080p is crap hahahaha jk. Love my 4k my phone my gopro and my phantom all only shoot in 4k. Only way to do it!

I don't see why everyone doesn't just buy the professional. Most will own the quad for more than a year and you can always turn it to 1080p.

4K recordings downsized to 1080p indeed gives you a better quality - but not noticeable if you do not compare both material.

I own a 65" 4K TV (Sony) and the 1080p footage even looks stunning on it! You're fine getting the advanced now and upgrade in in the future to the Pro-Cam.

BTW: if you have a crash and need to repair the gimbal/cam you can still buy the 4K cam for just a few bucks more and his will give you a full Phantom 3 Professional!

Think that answers it for me. I was think 4k is 4k and 1080p is 1080p. I've got a vision 2plus which I've only had for 6 weeks and was looking forward to a better camera, stability etc but if 1080p is better after downscaling from 4k, then it puts things into a different prospective.

I

I don't see why everyone doesn't just buy the professional. Most will own the quad for more than a year and you can always turn it to 1080p.

I own both the professional and also the advanced - but i am selling the pro right. The main reason is that i ordered the professional for the extra $ when DJI first stated that the difference between advanced and professional is the loader, the cam + the additional backpacker for the pro!

If you now calculate the different costs for each version of the loader and gimbal/cam you'll see that if you add the $149 backpacker to it, you're pretty close to the price difference between the advanced and professional.

I think that DJI had some problems to manufacture the backpacker, so they removed it from the pro - I also noticed on my 4K TV that you do NOT see any differences there between 4K and 1080p (Sony 65X9005A). And if i crash the copter and need a new cam, I can still choose between both cams...

I film and edit in 4K (UHD to be technical), but most people see my footage on my 1080P laptop and it's still stunning. My 2.5 year old Asus Zenbook has no problems playing to 4K footage at 1080.

Yes, you will need a computer that can handle 4K, RAM wise, and also have a storage device such as a 2TB hard drive.

However, I do think it is advisable to go with the Professional model. At the very least, if you are outputting in 1080, you can "zoom" via cropping on all the videos by 1/4. This photo explains it in a visual way. The 1080 part is how small you could crop a 4k video and retain quality.
View attachment 20346

I would definitely not "zoom" in the picture because obviously the quality will get worse and worse every zoom %. Rather, you can compress your 4k video into 1080 which has already been proven to be better quality than normal 1080.

Macbook Pro laptops don't have 4K monitors but it can do 1440p, already a nice step up from 1080p. When uploading my 4K files to YouTube in addition to 4K playback option folks with retina displays can now enjoy it in 1440p as oppose to 1080p.

Sampling down 4K to 1080p is better than recording in 1080p.

My 4K mp4 files is about 5GB for every 10min, just drop 3TB time capsule or WD on your network and you won't have any storage problems.

Here's first 4K video I did and I noticed significant bump in quality of video files.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If you can afford it, don't settle for 1080p. 4K displays will be as common as 1080p displays in the next couple years.

Reactions: jlo
4K is useless for anyone but videography and aerial photography professionals. 1080p is good for the majority.

here is the reason why:

1. Most people have phones where 4K doesnt look as good as a big screen and 1080p looks smooth and crisp. Most phones today cant even handle 4K resolution
2. Most Monitors being used dont use 4K and 1080p look the best due to 4k looking jagged due to smaller pixels on non-4K monitors
3. Most Phones and machines today cannot play 4K content
4. Most Machines today cannot even handle 4K editing let alone 4K downsampling which takes huge system resources.

if you get 4K without really needing 4K you will likely spend 500-1000$ to have a machine and monitor which can play and edit 4K video.

I can see 4K becoming standard by Phantom 4 where its camera will have 4K on the base model and the higher end model will have other features.

2015 there is no use for 4K when I know the machine to edit it and the media devices to play it are very expensive and in its infancy. I would wait till 2016-2017 when 4K monitors and capable machines and televisions are in more homes.

Right now 4K is only catering to about 10% of the mass audience and thus not worth the money. it will be in a year or 2 but not right now. I would save and get a Phantom Advanced and 2 additional batteries or 1 battery and a backpack than to purchase a Phantom Professional.

Wait a year when 4K adoption is more, the Professional is not future proof because the new quads will come to the market every year and P3 will be obsolete by P5 completely.

TLDR, no need to purchase 4K to cater to the niche product as of today.

why not save money now and buy 4K when it does become more common in 1-2 years. Right now a year before P4 unless you are a professional videographer, its a waste of money to be honest.

4K is useless for anyone but videography and aerial photography professionals. 1080p is good for the majority.

here is the reason why:

1. Most people have phones where 4K doesnt look as good as a big screen and 1080p looks smooth and crisp. Most phones today cant even handle 4K resolution
2. Most Monitors being used dont use 4K and 1080p look the best due to 4k looking jagged due to smaller pixels on non-4K monitors
3. Most Phones and machines today cannot play 4K content
4. Most Machines today cannot even handle 4K editing let alone 4K downsampling which takes huge system resources.

if you get 4K without really needing 4K you will likely spend 500-1000$ to have a machine and monitor which can play and edit 4K video.

I can see 4K becoming standard by Phantom 4 where its camera will have 4K on the base model and the higher end model will have other features.

2015 there is no use for 4K when I know the machine to edit it and the media devices to play it are very expensive and in its infancy. I would wait till 2016-2017 when 4K monitors and capable machines and televisions are in more homes.

Right now 4K is only catering to about 10% of the mass audience and thus not worth the money. it will be in a year or 2 but not right now. I would save and get a Phantom Advanced and 2 additional batteries or 1 battery and a backpack than to purchase a Phantom Professional.

Wait a year when 4K adoption is more, the Professional is not future proof because the new quads will come to the market every year and P3 will be obsolete by P5 completely.

TLDR, no need to purchase 4K to cater to the niche product as of today.

why not save money now and buy 4K when it does become more common in 1-2 years. Right now a year before P4 unless you are a professional videographer, its a waste of money to be honest.

To each their own. It's impossible for anyone to make a blanket statement such as yours, you can only speak for your circumstances.

My 2.5 year old laptop plays 4K footage at 1080P smooth and clear. It looks amazing. 4K footage has 4 times the color data (search chroma sub sampling and 4:4:4) even when played back at 1080

My 18 month old desktop with a $500 UHD monitor works great for editing and watching 4K with with all of the detail.

I can appreciate that you made a value judgement that for your situation the best value was to spend the additional money on extra batteries. I have no doubt that is the best decision for you. Please don't assume that your circumstances apply to everyone in general. Given that it appears the P3 Pro has far outsold the P3A, it would appear that most people have decided they want to extra potential capabilities of the Pro.

I do, but I shoot video/film professionally. All of my clients will get a downgraded 1080P, unless they state they want 4K. Most don't know the difference, and 4K will kill a good majority of my client's computers. I don't want to have to respond to a complaint that "the video doesn't play smoothly", or "My hard drive is full"
Also, shooting in 4k gives me the ability to crop any props that happen to get in my shot because you can basically double the size and have the same quality as 1080.

To each their own. It's impossible for anyone to make a blanket statement such as yours, you can only speak for your circumstances.

My 2.5 year old laptop plays 4K footage at 1080P smooth and clear. It looks amazing. 4K footage has 4 times the color data (search chroma sub sampling and 4:4:4) even when played back at 1080

My 18 month old desktop with a $500 UHD monitor works great for editing and watching 4K with with all of the detail.

I can appreciate that you made a value judgement that for your situation the best value was to spend the additional money on extra batteries. I have no doubt that is the best decision for you. Please don't assume that your circumstances apply to everyone in general. Given that it appears the P3 Pro has far outsold the P3A, it would appear that most people have decided they want to extra potential capabilities of the Pro.
P3P selling more than P3A is only because people who are willing to spend $1000 will spend $300 more because they can to get the latest even if they don't really need it to make a viable difference when in a years time, when 4K becomes more standard than it is today, THEN maybe buying a 4K capable quadcopter will make a difference.

P3P selling more than P3A is only because people who are willing to spend $1000 will spend $300 more because they can to get the latest even if they don't really need it to make a viable difference when in a years time, when 4K becomes more standard than it is today, THEN maybe buying a 4K capable quadcopter will make a difference.

Oh that's why? :rolleyes:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic