Who's actually filming and Editing in 4k

P3P selling more than P3A is only because people who are willing to spend $1000 will spend $300 more because they can to get the latest even if they don't really need it to make a viable difference when in a years time, when 4K becomes more standard than it is today, THEN maybe buying a 4K capable quadcopter will make a difference.

It's their $300 to spend, no reason to get judgemental about it.

Filming at 4K and downsampling is the only way you can get 1080 video at 4:4:4 (maximum color resolution). Filming at 4K also allows you to crop from the best part of your scene and end up with a nice 1080 video with no corner distortions and perfect framing.

For photography, there is no difference, it's same 12MP sensor. The only difference between the A and P is the extra hardware that does the 4K/UHD video encoding. I have a friend that wanted one just for photography so I recommended the P3A and they are thrilled. Every circumstance is different.

Reactions: jlo
P3P selling more than P3A is only because people who are willing to spend $1000 will spend $300 more because they can to get the latest even if they don't really need it to make a viable difference when in a years time, when 4K becomes more standard than it is today, THEN maybe buying a 4K capable quadcopter will make a difference.
Now is the time to buy, the competition from the Solo has allowed great pricing on these machines. I have no idea what it will cost next year. Even if you wait until next year you're still gonna have to spend money on a new phantom and a new computer.

I have a new tower that was delivered yesterday that plays the 4K perfectly. No regrets at all. I'm purely a hobbyist that wants the best I can get and I can afford it.

Just before buying a P3P, I had begun shooting all of my P2's GoPro video in 2.7 / 30 / W because on my editing PC's 27" monitor it looked markedly better that 1080P. In fact 1080P is beginning to look rather tired to my eyes. And if you've had the opportunity to view a 4K TV at your local electronics store, I'd be surprised if you didn't find it breathtaking. I couldn't care less about 3D, but as soon as I can afford a 70" 4K TV for my media room, I will upgrade. The Samsung curved 55" UHD TV is now $1500.

Of course YMMV.

New one is configurable with a 5k display. Pretty sweet.

5K display for MacBook Pro? I think you're referring to new iMac rather?

With 4K (i.e. 4096 x 2160) we focus on horizontal resolution. In past we focused on vertical resolution (i.e. 1920x1080) the MacBook Pro 13" tops out at 2560x1600.

So with MabBook Pro models we have a better display / higher overall resolution than w 1080p display but not 4K yet.

Reactions: jlo
5K display for MacBook Pro? I think you're referring to new iMac rather?

With 4K (i.e. 4096 x 2160) we focus on horizontal resolution. In past we focused on vertical resolution (i.e. 1920x1080) the MacBook Pro 13" tops out at 2560x1600.

So with MabBook Pro models we have a better display / higher overall resolution than w 1080p display but not 4K yet.

I saw some articles yesterday and misinterpreted. The new Macbook Pros 'support' 5k. Thanks for clarifying. :)

Reactions: h8tow8

You can't exactly go back and reshoot content that is mostly spontaneous at the time that it is captured, so a $260 difference is peanuts compared to the loss of years worth of images that could have been shot in 4x higher resolution.

Reactions: ctp
It's their $300 to spend, no reason to get judgemental about it.

Filming at 4K and downsampling is the only way you can get 1080 video at 4:4:4 (maximum color resolution). Filming at 4K also allows you to crop from the best part of your scene and end up with a nice 1080 video with no corner distortions and perfect framing.

For photography, there is no difference, it's same 12MP sensor. The only difference between the A and P is the extra hardware that does the 4K/UHD video encoding. I have a friend that wanted one just for photography so I recommended the P3A and they are thrilled. Every circumstance is different.
and as i said how much would you be willing to spend on machine that smoothly edits 4k? again, there is an accumulative cost which right now is high but in a years time it is not. I would agree with your position if everyone had a 4K capable tv and even ipads could edit 4K. Being future proof does not apply to quadcopters because they are evolving every 6 months to a year. in 12 months likely I will have a 4K quadcopter after selling this one. I just dont see the benefit if one doesnt have all the software and monitors to see it whereever you want at that resolution at this present time..unless you a a professional videographer then I agree you should get 4K for showcasing for yourself and your clients.

So, if you film at 4K24 and downsize to 1080p24 you have 2.4x more DATA which = more detail compared to just filming at 1080p24

Yes... uuuhm... NO: 2.4x more DATARATE but also 4x more pixels!

And I do not know any 4K TV than can handle 4:4:4 material, just 4:2:2.

I think it really comes down to what you want to do.

I am pretty sure no one that has posted will argue that 4K is harder to deal with. Post edit, view, etc.

So if you are just cruising with your Phantom and shooting some nice video along with way I would rather not have the Pro or deal with sampling down to 1080.

I plan to use my3DR solo for serious stuff and probably going to shoot 2.7 with the higher frame rate on it. Its likely I will buy a P3 to replace my V+ and if I do its going to be the advanced because 4k is a detriment for what it will be used for and I would prefer the advanced charger.

My head just exploded from all this nerd talk :p

So if I understand this right, if i shoot in 4K, my 2 year old laptop won't even be able to edit the video.. sound right?

I have a 4K TV but it sounds like processing my 4K videos isn't an option at this point and would be better served shooting in 1080.

Even outputting 4K to 1080 isn't an option because of my computer??

I have zero fisheye.

My GoPro 4 black has a Peau Productions lens that gives better FPV zoom and no fisheye.
I have a 5.4mm lens on my H4B too. Do you have any color or tinting issues in the corners/sides? How much did you pay for Peau? Did they install or did it yourself?

So if I understand this right, if i shoot in 4K, my 2 year old laptop won't even be able to edit the video.. sound right?

You will be able to edit but it is going to hurt a little. My desktop is not top of the line by today's standard but is an i7 with 16 gig of ram, SSD drives and a mediocre $300 video card. For someone impatient like me the process is painful.

Course without 4K monitor etc, you are not totally seeing what you are editing.

I have a 5.4mm lens on my H4B too. Do you have any color or tinting issues in the corners/sides? How much did you pay for Peau? Did they install or did it yourself?

I installed myself. I have not noticed any issues with corners or sides but have not shot a lot of video with it yet either. It was $140.00.

I do, but I shoot video/film professionally. All of my clients will get a downgraded 1080P, unless they state they want 4K. Most don't know the difference, and 4K will kill a good majority of my client's computers. I don't want to have to respond to a complaint that "the video doesn't play smoothly", or "My hard drive is full"
Also, shooting in 4k gives me the ability to crop any props that happen to get in my shot because you can basically double the size and have the same quality as 1080.

Same boat. I'll be shooting commercially and having the ability to give them 4k video is great since I probably won't be doing much of the editing. The ad agencies can then crop in post. For non-professionals I wouldn't see it as a must.

I installed myself. I have not noticed any issues with corners or sides but have not shot a lot of video with it yet either. It was $140.00.
I paid $100 for mine and installed myself. These lenses definitely have some pink tint in the corners. From what I could find on the internet, it's all the same lens but people like Rage Cams sell it for $300+
I really wish GoPro would offer a camera with a rectilinear lens!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav