Contrails, ears, and other distractions

Reaction score
I’ve just walked away from a filming situation, at least for the next half or so. A contrail (airplane vapour trail, looking like an unnatural straight-line cloud) was spoiling the scene we were about to shoot. Although we’re in a remote area, our location is on the Cape Town to Jo’burg flight path. Even at a height of approximately 40,000 ft, contrails can seriously spoil an otherwise natural looking scene.

Drone shadows are another “no, no” in our book. They shouldn’t be in a scene - in much the same way that you wouldn’t get a camera crew or any of the other production staff in shot if you were making a movie or TV show. The camera is an unobtrusive, unseen eye, to capture the action.

When it comes to stills photography of wildlife, I have a thing about ears. Yes, it’s a small detail - but these small things make all the difference been okay and excellent. How many times do you see a photograph of a rhino, wallaby, or other wild animal with one or both of its ears in the backwards position? (Sadly, often. Even in books and magazines.) By comparison, an animal with both ears pointing forwards is a wild beastie at its best - alert, displaying its finest behaviour. You just need to wait for the right moments, and be ruthless with editing, to weed out the mediocre.

They say that the moving image in video/film is more forgiving than a stills image. To some degree, this is true. You have more time to study a stills image. But the “keep it super simple” (KISS) principle is nevertheless important when capturing footage.

I haven’t seen a thread before about keeping an image or scene “clean”, simple, uncluttered. Yet it matters. A viewer’s attention is easily distracted. A potential customer is more easily put off than convinced to use your service or buy your product. What some people call “intangibles” are nothing more than identifiable details. They matter. A lot. Improvement happens, step by step, when helpful details are embraced and incorporated.

DJI have done an excellent job in providing us with a level of technology that is superb, with a high degree of reliability. Perhaps we should hold ourselves to a similar high account when using our drones for cinematography or stills photography? And this holds true, I suggest, whether we fly for pleasure or as a professional purpose. You don’t get personal satisfaction from being sloppy or mediocre.

Good post. Never thought about ears but it makes sense.

A viewer’s attention is easily distracted. A potential customer is more easily put off than convinced to use your service or buy your product.

Same thing happens with Music. Imperceptible pieces of the sound can be off putting, even subconsciously jarring. These sounds could never be spotted by the layman but it is up to the engineers on the project to eliminate them just the same. Easier to turn people away than it is to bring people in. I agree.

I had a Contrail happen thru a nice area with a clock tower that i wanted to shoot....the puffy clouds were beauts... where i was in relation to the main building was beautiful with a blue sky and puffy could BUT the contrail trail messed the still picture UP..i was shooting with a digital Canon camera.....I went on and took many picture of the building any way.......Later i down loaded the pictures and was looking thru them WHEN all of a sudden.....to the sides of the contrail was 2 flying saucers....I magnified them and before they went to pixels.....Both were round and a flat black color. leaving No contrails of their own !......I did not see them when i took the pictures because i was looking thru the cameras view finder.........thats one time i shot away any how and was amazed later !

A couple years or so ago, there was a Western, I don't remember which one, that one of the scenes had contrails in it.

I think there were two “oops” moments in the original Star Wars film. One extra was wearing trainers. And one of the stormtroopers hit his head on a beam. Personally, I missed both so they didn’t detract from the pioneering movie - and it was pre-internet when news spread a bit slower.

Yes, music blips also distract.

We’ve been away for 48 hours with work. Just after sunrise on Thursday morning, we came across no less than three black rhino in a national park. Another example of “ears”, not least because these persecuted yet incredible animals heavily rely on hearing because of poor eyesight.

UFOs/flying saucers? I know enough about this controversial topic to be both open minded and extremely sceptical. It’s so easy to misidentify something in the sky unless it’s very close. Plus they are black project aircraft. Can you post anything?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl