Who has found the best video for adding FPV and OSD/SOSD to the FC40?

Reaction score
Beario, I know you are one of the group.
IIVII, you without a doubt can do it with your eyes closed.

Who else can suggest a video which will make FPV and OSD a piece of cake on the FC40?

Many thanks go out to all who contribute.

this would help me a lot as well. i am in process of collecting information to build fpv+osd for my FC40 so it would be great if somebody who knows could help.

Beario, I know you are one of the group.
IIVII, you without a doubt can do it with your eyes closed.

Who else can suggest a video which will make FPV and OSD a piece of cake on the FC40?

Many thanks go out to all who contribute.

I'm definitely all in as one of the group:D Added a 3rd FC40 to the mix. I am tinkering with the one that I installed the OSD on right now. I'm trying to say I can suggest a video that will show an easy install, but I have only seen part installs like the OSD and telemetry. The install will also be different depending on the OSD that you install. I have the MINI-SOSD. and here is the install guide here. His name is Tony and he helped me out a lot getting things to work because the OSD came without instructions ---->
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The N1 OSD looks to be the easiest to install, but it is not in English and I wanted to have it in English. There are extra cables for power coming from the Phantom, but you have to power the OSD, telemetry, and possible the camera if you are not using a gopro or SJCAM for FPV. Right now I am using those cables for the OSD and using a smaller battery attached to the back for the telemetry. Advantage here is that it somehow balances everything having a battery back there, but there is more weight added. Not a major concern since I have a 4000 mah battery.

I have tried 2 different FPV setups so far. One with 2 cameras and one with only one camera. I liked having a dedicated camera for FPV and one to record, but now I am going to switch back to one camera and use the SJCAM for FPV and recording. YOU have to be careful with them because getting the wires crossed can fry your cam, but if you use a cheap 12 volt cam they are tough and you cannot do anything to them with the battery, not in my experience so far anyway. Keep in mind these components are not coded exactly. again the above video helped me a lot setting up everything.

Telemetry Antennas

I did loads of research on antennas for the telemetry and the results were a bit surprising. The antennas that came with the telemetry system were grade A+ super duper garbage:rolleyes: Cloverleafs are best and help eliminate interferance a bit. Also, I point the antenna on the quad down it seems to help when you are up high.

Telemetry Range

The range is not as advertised. You have to be out in the middle of nowhere to get the advertised range. If you are in an urban area you have to set the telemetry to the least used signal. I carry a laptop running InSSIDer to see what channels are being used most on people's wifi in the area. By far most people are on channel 1, 6, and 11:eek: The telemetry comes preset to channel 1. A perfect recipe for disaster especially if you are far out and suddenly static or video goes. Channel 4 and 5 seem to interfere with Satellite reception (no idea why) which leaves you with channels 2, 3,7, and 8. I like to use 8 in my area so far it is free of inteferance, but the range is reduced (again no idea why)

Soldering

I tried to avoid soldering, but in this hobby you can't avoid it if you want to upgrade. All of the OSD's require a connection to the battery or power source. If your OSD has weak power or it was not secure and comes loose, then you have nothing and you are DONE!:eek: Your GPS and compass are connected to it so think about what happens if you lose those. I highly recommend watching some soldering videos for beginners on youtube.

Monitors

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0071I0P9U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has a built in battery and why dont they all have a built in battery. Lasts 2 hours. Ignore the rating we are not watchin tv we are flying FPV.

Summary

There have been threads before on OSD installations. I made my decision after researching an OSD recommended by TallyRver and IflyinWY. It has a lot of connections but it was made lots easier after I found the video I posted earlier in this post. I think it is a great OSD but in truth any OSD you buy is going to require opening up the quad and making connections. Maybe you guys can watch Tony's video and give me some feedback if you think it is easier or no?

Reactions: IflyinWY
Been busy too, but looking forward to seeing your setup. Did you decide what you are going to do yet? I know it can be a lot deciding, but I really think the setup I have right now is perfect for our birds.

I found this video today

Nice find... THANK YOU VERY MUCH... :D

Hey everyone, does anyone know were I can purchase the bits I need from the last video above. I know were to get the OSD but not sure what I'm looking for for the rest!? Thanks everyone.

Hey everyone, does anyone know were I can purchase the bits I need from the last video above. I know were to get the OSD but not sure what I'm looking for for the rest!? Thanks everyone.
How far do you want to be able to go, hundreds of feet, thousands, miles?
Do you want to go cheap or go long?

I've got the Phantom FC40 I've seen the video above I want to install all of it as for range the best I can get please. Cheers

It's not a simple question to answer. There are links all throughout the threads you will find when you go here:
type in "FC40 FPV" in the middle of the page, not at the top.
https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl?cx=014775389315664725445:ejku2ysgyhi

You will also see ads on these forum pages for suppliers.

here are a few links:
http://www.rctimer.com
http://www.rangevideo.com
http://www.goodluckbuy.com
http://www.bhphotovideo.com

There are a lot more choices out there too. More folks will come along and add to this list. :D

My signature contains some helpful links, please try them.

Thank you .. I want to add telemetry too I'm just new to it all and want everything I can get for it for some searious flying :)

Thank you .. I want to add telemetry too I'm just new to it all and want everything I can get for it for some searious flying :)

Add up the weights of each item you add to your bird. More weight = less flight time and more issues.

High power transmitters will go a lot farther than you will probably need, and they are heavy.

Low power transmitters can reach quite far with the right antenna.
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/how-to-antenna-modifications-improve-your-distance.27060/

Here is one of the finest videos out there on FPV.

Add up the weights of each item you add to your bird. More weight = less flight time and more issues.

High power transmitters will go a lot farther than you will probably need, and they are heavy.

Low power transmitters can reach quite far with the right antenna.
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/how-to-antenna-modifications-improve-your-distance.27060/

Here is one of the finest videos out there on FPV.

Thank you again, very informational. What does the S-OSD do mentioned in the video posted by Tallyrver above? I have watched his videos but they only go up to part 2 I noticed in the videos that he has a few pieces of hardware but I'm not sure what they do but I want a similar set up to him. I not only want FPV I also want to see my altitude, home point, speed ect ect... I also want to add a gopro if possible eventually. Sorry to bug you it's just quite hard to find complete videos on them.

Thank you again, very informational. What does the S-OSD do mentioned in the video posted by Tallyrver above? I have watched his videos but they only go up to part 2 I noticed in the videos that he has a few pieces of hardware but I'm not sure what they do but I want a similar set up to him. I not only want FPV I also want to see my altitude, home point, speed ect ect... I also want to add a gopro if possible eventually. Sorry to bug you it's just quite hard to find complete videos on them.

You're welcome. You've got to keep searching, the answers aren't all in one place... yet.

S-OSD allows for more information to be displayed. That's about the best I can do. I haven't watched that video for a while and do not recall the answer to the question.

You're welcome. You've got to keep searching, the answers aren't all in one place... yet.

S-OSD allows for more information to be displayed. That's about the best I can do. I haven't watched that video for a while and do not recall the answer to the question.

Thanks for your help buddy I will keepon searching :)

Fantastic idea for a thread Ifly ! Once enough information is collected on this thread then maybe it can be made a sticky so newcomers wouldn't have to search and wade through countless threads for this specific info.

I know it's second nature for many of us but for newcomers I think it'd be good idea to include instructions on how to open the DJI as a starting point because for FPV and telemetry you're going to have to do this. Here's a good video for that. The guy's webpage which is linked in the YouTube page also has tons of good info too.

Regarding FPV, I can only speak for my own set up which I absolutely love! For video transmitter and receiver I use the Boscam TS321 Transmitter & RC302 Receiver. I talk more about my FVP setup here:
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/sj4000-wifi-distance.27547/#post-253855
Initially I couldn't get all the components to play nice together but if you keep reading in that thread I eventually got everything working together. The main reason I I really like what I use is that the monitor is actually an inexpensive Windows tablet. That means it can act like a DVR and record my FPV sessions. I also have the additional benefit of having a Windows device with me should I need to hook the drone up to it.

I've not attempted telemetry "yet" but plan to do so at some point in time. A good video I've been looking at for connection of OSD is here:

Here's another interesting video although it's for a P1 the concept is the same:

Just a "little" bit off topic but I have a question for you all. I couldn't resist the $299 price for a P1 on B&H yesterday and bought it to go along with my FC40, (yeah Ifly, I'll be eating beans and rice for a month but who needs stinking food when ya got TWO birds.. ;)) My question is, since my FPV on the FC40 is 2.4 and the FPV I plan on installing on the P1 will be 5.8.... If I'm fling one of them and let a friend fly another would the different frequencies of the different FPV's interfere with the Phantoms? Should I be concerned about flying both birds in close proximity to each other?
Thanks in advance...

BOT

Last edited:
clapping.gif

Fantastic idea for a thread Ifly ! Once enough information is collected on this thread then maybe it can be made a sticky so newcomers wouldn't have to search and wade through countless threads for this specific info.

I know it's second nature for many of us but for newcomers I think it'd be good idea to include instructions on how to open the DJI as a starting point because for FPV and telemetry you're going to have to do this. Here's a good video for that. The guy's webpage which is linked in the YouTube page also has tons of good info too.

Regarding FPV, I can only speak for my own set up which I absolutely love! For video transmitter and receiver I use the Boscam TS321 Transmitter & RC302 Receiver. I talk more about my FVP setup here:
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/sj4000-wifi-distance.27547/#post-253855
Initially I couldn't get all the components to play nice together but if you keep reading in that thread I eventually got everything working together. The main reason I I really like what I use is that the monitor is actually an inexpensive Windows tablet. That means it can act like a DVR and record my FPV sessions. I also have the additional benefit of having a Windows device with me should I need to hook the drone up to it.

I've not attempted telemetry "yet" but plan to do so at some point in time. A good video I've been looking at for connection of OSD is here:

Here's another interesting video although it's for a P1 the concept is the same:

Just a "little" bit off topic but I have a question for you all. I couldn't resist the $299 price for a P1 on B&H yesterday and bought it to go along with my FC40, (yeah Ifly, I'll be eating beans and rice for a month but who needs stinking food when ya got TWO birds.. ;)) My question is, since my FPV on the FC40 is 2.4 and the FPV I plan on installing on the P1 will be 5.8.... If I'm fling one of them and let a friend fly another would the different frequencies of the different FPV's interfere with the Phantoms? Should I be concerned about flying both birds in close proximity to each other?
Thanks in advance...

BOT

Thank you, Just what I'am needing. I'm taking it you don't have to upgrade the FC40 apart from adding the OSD etc? Thanks again for the info.. It is an ache searching through threads especially when everyone has a different idea to the one you originally had :)

Okay so I just purchased the DJI PMU V2 & the iOSD Mini I just need to find a compatible 2.4ghz receiver ... any ideas anyone?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers