Who has found the best video for adding FPV and OSD/SOSD to the FC40?

Reactions: IflyinWY
You my friend are a legend!!!

Enjoy! I have gone out pretty far with this setup, it goes further than the stock controller. You have to upgrade the controller antenna to go out as far.

Okay, I have finally decided to tackle the installation of an OSD for my new P1 bird.
I considered the N1 and even though it seems to be an easier install, as Beario pointed out I wasn't happy about everything being in Chinese. I also wanted an artificial horizon and English units instead of metric which I don't think is possible with the N1. I've settled in on the S-OSD from here:
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/s-osd-re...ht-mode-for-dji-naza-lite-v2-gps-vs-iosd.html

I still have a few question about the hookup which I've asked elsewhere but since we're trying to consolidate all the information on OSD in one thread I'll ask here as well. In the following schematic of the S-OSD, (picture showing the OSD hookups), what item is the top left (red box), the item to the right of that (top center), and item under the battery, (middle right). Are these things in/on the FC40 or items that need to be bought as well?

I want to play around with the OSD's configuration like change unites from metric to English and add an artificial horizon so I "think" I can use the software from here:
http://www.happykillmore.com/Software/faq.asp

Here's a screenshot of the main screen in the software and if I could use that to play around with the S-OSD that would be WAY COOL!

There's also another piece of software but once again, I'm not sure if I can use it with the S-OSD. Here's the link to the software and a screenshot of the main page.
https://code.google.com/p/arducam-osd/wiki/OSD_Config_Tool

Tallyrver, you kind of touched on this in this post of yours,..
http://www.phantompilots.com/thread...d-it-couldnt-be-done.31638/page-3#post-327634
And later in the thread you added,
"My FDTI USB adapter arrived today ,plugged it into the S-OSd downloaded the ArduCam OSD config tool,and away we went. I changed the display from metric to imperial :mrgreen: ,moved and changed things around the screen. This OSD has three display screens ,you can have one full of stuff and another with just a little info. The third one is blank . If you have an extra channel you can toggle between the three screens otherwise you use the mode button on the board. I'm working on configuring the battery voltage ,it's off a little."
THANK YOU for THAT! It's a great piece of info and pretty much answered my question on using the software.

Here's another video I found on hooking up the OSD. The audio is not English but still may provide useful info just by watching the video. I still think the videos posted previously in this thread by Tallyrver and Beario are the best for explaining how to hook the S-OSD up though. At least I haven't found better in my searches.

Here is Part 2 to of the video Tallyrver posted earlier in the thread:

One last little bit....
I believe I'm going to need a FTDI USB to Serial adapter to hook the S-OSD up to the computer to make changes through the above referenced software so I can configure the screen layout the way I want it. After searching through some threads I found where Beario talked about the parts he used (thanks Beario) with links so I ordered the FTDI from the link Beario posted:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/301630377018
Here's the link to Beario's post which is useful because he list's all the component's he's used along with the links to buy:
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/cheapest-path-to-fpv-on-the-fc40.39958/page-2#post-379858

Thanks in advance to all who contribute to this thread!
BOT

Last edited:
Enjoy! I have gone out pretty far with this setup, it goes further than the stock controller. You have to upgrade the controller antenna to go out as far.

Cool, Did you upgrade the antenna on the FPV feed? and what did you do to your controller?

This is what I did to the controller. ------>

I would get cutouts in signal if I went out too far with the stock antenna. I am using a directional antenna on both the controller and FPV.

Antenna - http://store.rokland.com/products/alfa-7-dbi-gain-rp-sma-directional-panel-antenna-apa-m04

Pigtail - http://www.ebay.com/itm/301034009122?var=600176417696 (I always buy extra just in case I break one)

Thanks man I will send you a picture when I'm done, so far i've purchased

IOSD mini
Naza M PMU V2
Go Pro Hero 3
Brushless 3D Gimbal
Tall/Wide Retractable Landing Gear
2 Antennas
Boscam Fpv Sender & Receiver

Just the screen to go & then it's time to crack the Phantom Open!!

:)

Thanks man I will send you a picture when I'm done, so far i've purchased

IOSD mini
Naza M PMU V2
Go Pro Hero 3
Brushless 3D Gimbal
Tall/Wide Retractable Landing Gear
2 Antennas
Boscam Fpv Sender & Receiver

Just the screen to go & then it's time to crack the Phantom Open!!

:)

That is a terrific video for that mod and the one I followed when doing that. Just one word of caution, I'd like to reinforce what he says in the video and from my own experience as well to be very, very careful when cutting away the silicon that's gluing the antenna connector to the board. Just have patience and take it slow and easy because it's REALLY easy to damage the board or connector end. I used an exacto knife. Here's a pic of mine finished. I dremmeled away the plastic collar so I could add a fitting flush to the top.

I really like how this thread is progressing. Thank you all. :D:D:D:D:D

I really like how this thread is progressing. Thank you all. :D:D:D:D:D

I could not recommend this site any more, Everyone has been very helpful. I will post my upgrades soon & continue the help for anyone who needs it.. I know the Phantom FC40 is a later version but believe it or not I purchased it brand spanking new 3 months ago at a low price from Belgium. I actually got in to this by buying a second hand Phantom V1 I had it fr 3 days & lost it in a fly away with lessons definitely learned, precise to say I was hooked! and had to buy another one & I'm glad I did they are the ultimate man toy!

I could not recommend this site any more, Everyone has been very helpful. I will post my upgrades soon & continue the help for anyone who needs it.. I know the Phantom FC40 is a later version but believe it or not I purchased it brand spanking new 3 months ago at a low price from Belgium. I actually got in to this by buying a second hand Phantom V1 I had it fr 3 days & lost it in a fly away with lessons definitely learned, precise to say I was hooked! and had to buy another one & I'm glad I did they are the ultimate man toy!

Did something get lost in the translation? "I could not recommend this site any more,"
Were you trying to say "I recommend this site to many people"?

Glad we can be of help

Did something get lost in the translation? "I could not recommend this site any more,"
Were you trying to say "I recommend this site to many people"?

Glad we can be of help

Haha I meant I could not recommend this site more! you have a great group of experts and enthusiasts !! THANKS ALL!

That is a terrific video for that mod and the one I followed when doing that. Just one word of caution, I'd like to reinforce what he says in the video and from my own experience as well to be very, very careful when cutting away the silicon that's gluing the antenna connector to the board. Just have patience and take it slow and easy because it's REALLY easy to damage the board or connector end. I used an exacto knife. Here's a pic of mine finished. I dremmeled away the plastic collar so I could add a fitting flush to the top.

So It's started I have just installed the PMU V2 possibly the most scariest soldering I have ever done in my life :( All done now and powers up fine, just waiting for the IOSD mini to arrive and then were done ... to a point.
image1.JPG
image2.JPG
image3.JPG

Reactions: BlackOpsTeamster
So I have the mini s-osd and a phantom fc40 with boscam tx and rx for fpv. My whole fpv system works fine without the mini s-osd but when it's all connected I don't get any video.
I also don't get a status light on the osd board or see a mode switch button on the sosd board. I see what I thought was a led but it's not lit and it may not even be a light at all.
Also does anyone know if the mini s-osd is ntsc or pal or can it do either. I don't have a ftdi adapter to modify it.
Thanks in advance, I would really appreciate any help

dji phantom fc40
ardrone2 mod 4 telemetry+fpv
tplinkwr703+sunhans 2.5w and alpha 7dbi panel antenna for wifi boost
based in new jersey US

Update from last post, I got it all working now. There was a short in the naza led cable that came with the mini s-osd.
So now that it is all working, the mode is in manual mode all the time. The Phantom switches modes just fine, but the osd display only shows I am in manual mode all the time. Anyone else have this problem with the mini sosd or the original sosd?

I also noticed that the top right has a home icon and said 221000 meters. I assume that is supposed to be how far from home the bird is. Obviously not right and the number varies within 100meters or so. My phantom has a nice still hover and can't be something wrong with the gps. The thing in the middle that shows where u are from home doesn't work either. Altitude works good too. I'm thinking a GPS connection issue but you would assume it wouldn't fly right if that was the case

Any ideas anyone?

Hey dude sorry I'm not familiar with the osd you have there for a start my only has two wires.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20