Whistling noise

You have to actually 'feel' the motor shaft while turning it. You'll feel the difference.
,,agree,some do have slight more twitch when hand turned some curved magnets weak and strong ,does stop bit quicker than normal,if it was berrin it would not spin straight and have play in it,remember aswell its trying to hold its position so each motor will be slightly different rpm while hovering,,,back to whistling ,normal,i dont disagree with you ,its your phantom and if you think something not right ,been searching around on this read heaps of old posts ,,even this vidio came up from26.3.2016,even all i read say as long as temp not getting hot on whichever motor, its ok ;)

I never said it wouldn't fly, drop out of the sky, or any other such nonsense. The whistling is a defect in the DJI line of cheap motors used. The whistling is an annoyance, caused by defective bearings nothing else.
Bearings usually squeal or whine not whistle I'm a heavy equipment tech for a living been doing that since I left the Marine Corp in 96 even bearings we spin up with compressed air don't whistle they whine like crazy, but no whistle those are extreme speeds though . if you think its a bearing put the motor out pull the top bell off and put a single drop of light machine oil in the bearing that should confirm any bearing issue

1505351274430-36911658.jpg
this is same vidio posted back then,

Reactions: Newbieguy
I never said it wouldn't fly, drop out of the sky, or any other such nonsense. The whistling is a defect in the DJI line of cheap motors used. The whistling is an annoyance, caused by defective bearings nothing else.

Have you researched the physics behind whistling?

BASICALLY, it is the result of a difference in air pressure creating vortices. Coincidentally this is what propellers do.

Please explain the defect you cite.

Reactions: Newbieguy
Fingers work just fine. This does not require any further expense to monitor and diagnose.
some folks cant tell the difference in temp by feel I personally have very thick calloused fingers from work and I play guitar daily I have a hard time feeling heat unless it pretty hot and I definitely cant tell the heat difference between things well. Temp gun takes away all the guess work Just my Opinion Brother

Bearings usually squeal or whine not whistle I'm a heavy equipment tech for a living been doing that since I left the Marine Corp in 96 even bearings we spin up with compressed air don't whistle they whine like crazy, but no whistle those are extreme speeds though . if you think its a bearing put the motor out pull the top bell off and put a single drop of light machine oil in the bearing that should confirm any bearing issue

The bearings are sealed. Oil will just retain foreign material.

Last edited:
The hearings are sealed. Oil will just retain foreign material.
haven't taken any of these apart to know, but its simple enough to remove the dust shield from bearings and put them back just for the sake of confirming a bearing. the OP is already planning on replacing with a new motor anyhow. I personally don't think its a bearing issue as I've never heard a bearing whistle and I've worked with them for a lot of years. the motor has vents in the top. those could cause whistle for sure especially if they aren't machined correctly or if there is a sliver of metal hanging on that wasn't removed completely in the machining process. if its flying good I personally wouldn't let it bother me

Your first sentence kind of disqualifies the the rest. They are not user serviceable.
The MTBF is in the hundreds of hours.

The hearings are sealed. Oil will just retain foreign material.

I knew this was coming... I even anticipated it in post #20 :(.
Most RC motor bearings are SHIELDED, not SEALED. A shield leaves a small gap near the inner race (they are usually forced on the outer race) where a drop of light (ie "liquid") oil can find its way in. This has been done and is being done a gazillion times in the RC world (not drones), with motors manufacturer even selling their own branded oil: Scorpion Motor Bearing Lubrication Kit (30ml) - Scorpion Power System

haven't taken any of these apart to know, but its simple enough to remove the dust shield from bearings and put them back just for the sake of confirming a bearing.

I would personally advise against removing the shield: it's nearly impossible to do that without damage. And I believe on the new version of the P3S motors, you only have access to the bottom bearing (but I'm not 100% sure about this).

Reactions: pomonabill220
"BASICALLY, it is the result of a difference in air pressure creating vortices. Coincidentally this is what propellers do."

No, you're incorrect. According to your 'theory' ALL drones will then whistle and that is not true either. DJI has the whistle. Autel Robotics there is zero whistle. The Typhoon has zero whistle. A whole host of drones do not have the whistle. It is not the props. It is a defective motor. Otherwise, when I replaced my motor, the whistling would not have subsided as it did, but rather continued to whistle...which it did not do. It quieted right down. My second drone, the Autel Robotics X-Star Premium, is my second drone because I can't stand the DJI whistle so refused to buy another DJI.

It's not my theory or, more appropriately, my hypothesis.
It's Physics.
Not every situation will create the necessary fluid dynamics.

I could never do the 'two fingers in the mouth' incredibly loud whistle many of my friends can do. Therefore because I can't doesn't mean they don't.

Simply stating because other drones don't means some Phantoms shouldn't either is a logical fallacy.

My issue here is the assertion there's a defect at play. Changing something, motor, prop, etc. changes the aforementioned dynamics and therefore can change the outcome.

Your first sentence kind of disqualifies the the rest. They are not user serviceable.
The MTBF is in the hundreds of hours.
every bearing I install that's said to be non serviceable is in fact able to be lubed by removing the shield yes if it says its non serviceable it shouldn't require any service IE maintenance or lube I get that but lets face it these parts are made in China not known for quality control and even ones made in Mexico and the US have faults I've removed shields on new out of the pack bearings to find ZERO lube in them machines mess up, people mess up, fact of life.

I knew this was coming... I even anticipated it in post #20 :(.
Most RC motor bearings are SHIELDED, not SEALED. A shield leaves a small gap near the inner race (they are usually forced on the outer race) where a drop of light (ie "liquid") oil can find its way in. This has been done and is being done a gazillion times in the RC world (not drones), with motors manufacturer even selling their own branded oil: Scorpion Motor Bearing Lubrication Kit (30ml) - Scorpion Power System

I would personally advise against removing the shield: it's nearly impossible to do that without damage. And I believe on the new version of the P3S motors, you only have access to the bottom bearing (but I'm not 100% sure about this).
I get that Brother but if the bearing is suspect bad anyhow what's it gonna hurt most small bearings have a rubber wiper on the shields that seals them against the races if your careful at removal it can easily be reinstalled I do it all the time because we get a lot of bearings with both sides shielded even though one side needs to be open for centrifugal lubing we also remove both sides on some and remove cheap factory lube and re-lube with hi temp grease for certain applications. I know its not a recommended practice but it can be done and sometimes is a necessity

"Simply stating because other drones don't means some Phantoms shouldn't either is a logical fallacy. "

Again, you're wrong. You can't explain it. I did. It is a bad motor making the noise. You tried by saying it is air disturbance from the props. Funny how you switched gears once you were told the noise ceased once the new motor was installed.

I get that Brother but if the bearing is suspect bad anyhow what's it gonna hurt most small bearings have a rubber wiper on the shields that seals them against the races if your careful at removal it can easily be reinstalled I do it all the time because we get a lot of bearings with both sides shielded even though one side needs to be open for centrifugal lubing we also remove both sides on some and remove cheap factory lube and re-lube with hi temp grease for certain applications. I know its not a recommended practice but it can be done and sometimes is a necessity
At $10 for a motor (what I paid) it simply is not worth the hassle to pull the motor apart and hope it is reassembled correctly again. I know what it is like taking apart motors. It isn't fun reassembling them correctly.

I agree with you, even sealed bearings need lubed at some point. That is the planned obsolescence built into things by saying they are not serviceable.

At $10 for a motor (what I paid) it simply is not worth the hassle to pull the motor apart and hope it is reassembled correctly again. I know what it is like taking apart motors. It isn't fun reassembling them correctly.

I agree with you, even sealed bearings need lubed at some point. That is the planned obsolescence built into things by saying they are not serviceable.
Where did you find the motors that cheap Brother? I just replaced all 4 of mine on my P34k cost me $100 I like keeping spare parts on hand and it would greatly Please my chief financial advisor (WIFE) if I didn't spend another $100 on them lol I have the 2312A motors on both my P3S and P34K

I presume the whistling went away? I hope so for a $100!

I got mine off of eBay:

ORDER DATE
May 08, 2016

ORDER TOTAL
US $10.00
See description
Order DJI Phantom 3 Advanced ADV Drone - NEW Counter Clockwise Motor 2312A CCW 800kVView similar itemsView seller's other items
More actions
1 item sold by rc-parts4you
p.jpg

DJI Phantom 3 Advanced ADV Drone - NEW Counter Clockwise Motor 2312A CCW 800kV
( 151996754539 )

Add note
ITEM PRICE:
US $10.00

Reactions: epicdoom

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.