Roof Spray Project

Reaction score
I hesitated to show the project I'm working on but then figured all the research and work I've done might be useful to someone else.

Project: Find a way to moss spray my tile roof on my 2 story home. Live in Pacific Northwest and moss is an issue.
I've used a roofer for several years but the prices have gotten way too high as many do not want to do steep tile roofs. So, quoted $2k for power wash and treatment, not doing that.

I have a Mavic Air2, but no way it could lift anything like I was planning. So, I found a Phantom Pro 3 that was like new.

Watched numerous videos showing it could lift to 2.5 lbs. My spray rig weighs 1.5 lbs without water in the hose.
Basically, I have a Kobalt 40 volt backpack sprayer hooked to a 50' 3/8"OD x 1/4" ID vinyl hose. The line is attached to a 2 nozzle boom that at this point have zip tied to the bottom of the drone, centered. Sprayer can generate 70PSI.
The image was from the first test flight with water. Spray width at 4-5' above the ground is ~4' wide.
Since the Phantom does not have all the sensors the Air 2 has, flying is a bit more challenging, but fun. It picks up the hose with no issues. Did another test where I let it hover at 50' for 12 minutes until the battery overheated. So, I know this works.

This may give someone else an idea, but it was great fun figuring it out and testing. Wanted to upload a video but wasn't able to.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-09 at 1.10.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-09 at 1.10.57 PM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 319
That's an excellent example of using drones in areas where safety issues can be addressed. A commercial drone purpose built for application of chemical such as "Wet It And Forget It" can be used. Using automated mapping apps to preplan the flight over the roof around the chimney and around the eaves is another good way to expand a drone business.

Well, there's this consideration: We"pilots" should keep in mind that DJI and all other drone manufacturers designed hobby drone motors to provide lift and motion for the weight and air resistance of that drone for it's intended maneuvers. Drone" Payload AirDrop Release" devices, when employed, result in additional weight and air resistance, "drag", on the drone's motors, for which they were not designed. Additionally, the size and configuration of the "payload" adversely affects control of the drone in flight, resulting in almost constant direction compensation. Personally, I do not think the risk of motor degrading/burnout/failure is worth the employment of these "novelty" devices.

That's an excellent example of using drones in areas where safety issues can be addressed. A commercial drone purpose built for application of chemical such as "Wet It And Forget It" can be used. Using automated mapping apps to preplan the flight over the roof around the chimney and around the eaves is another good way to expand a drone business.
David,
Great idea! I use Dronelink for mapping flights. I’ll see what I can write to fly the roof. That will be interesting.
Thanks

Looks like you may not have a way to control the on/off of the spray. Not sure whatever you use on the roof is safe for paint and vegetation,

The backpack sprayer controls it through the trigger. When I get serious, then I’ll wear the backpack and the switch will be right there.

Reactions: 3putts
Well, there's this consideration: We"pilots" should keep in mind that DJI and all other drone manufacturers designed hobby drone motors to provide lift and motion for the weight and air resistance of that drone for it's intended maneuvers. Drone" Payload AirDrop Release" devices, when employed, result in additional weight and air resistance, "drag", on the drone's motors, for which they were not designed. Additionally, the size and configuration of the "payload" adversely affects control of the drone in flight, resulting in almost constant direction compensation. Personally, I do not think the risk of motor degrading/burnout/failure is worth the employment of these "novelty" devices.
Understand your point. This drone tech is 6+ years old so I’m pushing the boundaries. But, spending thousands on a real spray drone isn’t in the cards yet. So, will work it and hopefully won’t destroy it in the process. Much more fun than watching tv…..

Since there appears to be interest, I’ll update with the good and bad as I move forward.

Going to install a rain suit on the drone bef spraying the moss killer. Don’t think it will be a problem, but cheap insurance.

It looks like your hose it attached to the lower portion of the drone, near the spray rig, close to the bottom of the legs. This is below the centre of thrust of the drone. This mean when the hose pulls on the drone it tips away from the tension of the hose. This is evident near the end of your video when the drone flew right, the hose got snagged on the tree and I thought you were gone !! If you can attach the hose as high as possible under the centre of the drone it will be better. Not perfect, but better. You will need to make sure it does not snag on the undercarriage though so move yourself around with the hose to keep directly behind the drone. Good luck.

I tried to position the spray rig as close to the center as possible. But, to be honest, winging it with the placement. Like your idea on the hose.
I’ll modify the placement of the hose and see if I can come up with a different attachment.
Appreciate your feedback.

Wow cool clip,,yip myself would try modify just a bit for safety,,look at some fishing droppers and mayby try have attached the hose to the fishing release so if do get a snag or hooked on tree or tile or gutter you can drop the sprayer hose and still be in full drone control,,even a simple rubber band off the landing gear around the hose so if something happen you can power up to get away trouble ;)

Good idea to have some release mechanism. When I received the spray boom, I hooked it to the camera protection plate on the center bottom with fishing line to see what would happen. Lifted it up about 20' and it was spinning like an old lawn sprayer! Sort of out of control. So, that is why I zipped tied it to the same camera protection plate. Good thing is the house is only 2 stories, so not terribly high.

Looked into remote release devices on line. This one seems decent, but then I have the same issue with spinning.

Will look at your idea of using rubber bands so it can be released if needed. Fun project to try and make work.

Appreciate the feedback!

Have everything ready to start spraying. Did a final test today as this video shows. Flew up to 50' and made various changes in direction and altitude to see how stable it was. Didn't have any issues. I think I have the center of gravity correct.
Tried multiple ways to have the spray boom "breakaway" if there was a problem. Didn't have any luck, as the boom was unstable and I wasn't able to control it.
I have a Phantom Rainsuit on it in case of mist floating around. Had to modify a set of Pro 4 landing legs as I couldn't find any for a Pro 3.
If the wind is stable in the AM, will fly and have my wife film. Will be interesting to see how it goes.

Reactions: WV. Rootman

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj